Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2020, 13:23   #46

Re: Forced to change plans - where to go now?

A heads up the Governor of South Carolina yesterday closed all public access to public waterways, beaches, piers, docks, wharfs, boat ramps, boat landings for the duration of the crisis.
Relevant snipet of the order is attached.

The police will enforce from land and the Department of Natural Resources will patrol the waterways.

https://www.wmbfnews.com/2020/03/30/...eaches-closed/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	South Carolina closure.PNG
Views:	105
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	211765   Click image for larger version

Name:	SC2.PNG
Views:	108
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	211766  

Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 13:50   #47
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

We are also in the Keys. We had planned to remain in the Keys until sometime in June then head up the east coast. Not sure if that will be doable with the virus. Usually pretty safe in the Keys from hurricanes until August then time to watch out. Personally I would rather be socially distancing myself in the Keys rather than the east coast as your still able to enjoy the sailing, Anchorage’s and the usually clear water.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 14:26   #48
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
A heads up the Governor of South Carolina yesterday closed all public access to public waterways, beaches, piers, docks, wharfs, boat ramps, boat landings for the duration of the crisis.
Relevant snipet of the order is attached.

The police will enforce from land and the Department of Natural Resources will patrol the waterways.
Tar and feathering should totally still be a thing. Since that unfortunately isn't possible, may this guy get sent back to whatever hole in the ground he slithered out of at his next election.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 14:33   #49

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
Tar and feathering should totally still be a thing. Since that unfortunately isn't possible, may this guy get sent back to whatever hole in the ground he slithered out of at his next election.
I wouldn't put it quite that way but cannot see the logic behind it.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 17:31   #50

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
We are also in the Keys. We had planned to remain in the Keys until sometime in June then head up the east coast. Not sure if that will be doable with the virus. Usually pretty safe in the Keys from hurricanes until August then time to watch out. Personally I would rather be socially distancing myself in the Keys rather than the east coast as your still able to enjoy the sailing, Anchorage’s and the usually clear water.
Your plan seems like a reasonable one to me. The US mid-Atlantic and Northeast is about the last place on Earth you would want to be in the next 1-2 months.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 18:13   #51
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooglas View Post
Your plan seems like a reasonable one to me. The US mid-Atlantic and Northeast is about the last place on Earth you would want to be in the next 1-2 months.

If it’s a choice of dealing with a hurricane in the Keys or the virus outbreak on the mainland I think I’ll take the hurricane.......as long as it’s a cat 3 or below! Maybe a crap shoot after that
Old 31-03-2020, 18:24   #52

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
If it’s a choice of dealing with a hurricane in the Keys or the virus outbreak on the mainland I think I’ll take the hurricane.......as long as it’s a cat 3 or below! Maybe a crap shoot after that
Seems pretty bold to me. A Cat 3 is sustained winds 96 to 112kts. That's sustained, not gusts. Where, as a non-local cruiser, are you going to get into a hurricane hole in the keys ahead of the local boats?

Plus, last time I checked you don't get to pick what category a hurricane heading your way will be.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 18:31   #53
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Seems pretty bold to me. A Cat 3 is sustained winds 96 to 112kts. That's sustained, not gusts. Where, as a non-local cruiser, are you going to get into a hurricane hole in the keys ahead of the local boats?

We have been sailing the Keys for close to 30 years and have gone through many hurricanes between Galveston and the Chesapeake, including the Bahamas. There are some good local hurricane holes in the Keys as well as the Little Shark river in the Everglades about 40 miles away. We have a great respect for the power of hurricanes having gone through quite a few on our boats, but have no experience being in the hotspot of a deadly virus. Maybe I’m stupid but I would rather take my chances with something I feel more comfortable with?
Old 31-03-2020, 18:46   #54

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

if this last past 90 days there will be more issues than finding a hurricane hole.
Old 31-03-2020, 18:48   #55

Quote:
We have been sailing the Keys for close to 30 years and have gone through many hurricanes between Galveston and the Chesapeake, including the Bahamas. There are some good local hurricane holes in the Keys as well as the Little Shark river in the Everglades about 40 miles away. We have a great respect for the power of hurricanes having gone through quite a few on our boats, but have no experience being in the hotspot of a deadly virus. Maybe I’m stupid but I would rather take my chances with something I feel more comfortable with?
If you've been cruising the area for 30 years then you are not in the non-local cruiser category. It is really tough for a cruiser who moves into a new area to make the best choices for hurricane/cyclone protection. The majority of cruisers deal with it by being outside the hurricane zone in the season. As a cruiser you'll get a huge range of local advice. Most it projecting great macho, we almost never get hit, it's always forecasted to be stronger than it is, I've lived here since WWII and never lost a boat, type comments.

We cruised to the Chesapeake when Sandy showed up. We made our decision and sat it out on the boat. In retrospect more luck of the path that the storm took, not good planning.
We were in Queensland Australia looking for a cyclone hidey hole. Essentially got from a local cruiser that they knew a really good spot, but they wouldn't tell us because it might get crowded. Being a non-local cruiser who hasn't spent multiple storm seasons in place is not the same as being a local.

And locally experienced or not, you can't pick the storm strength that will hit your cruiser home.
Old 31-03-2020, 18:50   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
if this last past 90 days there will be more issues than finding a hurricane hole.
That maybe true, but there are no signs that Florida is dealing with cv19 control better than other states.
Old 31-03-2020, 18:54   #57
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post

Yes, which is why it’s important to be in a place your comfortable with. For us it’s a lot easier to be able to isolate while we sail, snorkel and enjoy the boating life
Old 31-03-2020, 18:55   #58

pfffff what florida is doing. more money comes from outside of florida to the keys. if they're scared keys are dead.
Old 31-03-2020, 18:58   #59

Quote:
Yes, which is why it’s important to be in a place your comfortable with. For us it’s a lot easier to be able to isolate while we sail, snorkel and enjoy the boating life
I agree with you. unfortunately I've got 2 years refit to go. so I'm balancing ”making money” and enjoying clear water
Old 31-03-2020, 18:59   #60
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
If you've been cruising the area for 30 years then you are not in the non-local cruiser category. It is really tough for a cruiser who moves into a new area to make the best choices for hurricane/cyclone protection. The majority of cruisers deal with it by being outside the hurricane zone in the season. As a cruiser you'll get a huge range of local advice. Most it projecting great macho, we almost never get hit, it's always forecasted to be stronger than it is, I've lived here since WWII and never lost a boat, type comments.

We cruised to the Chesapeake when Sandy showed up. We made our decision and sat it out on the boat. In retrospect more luck of the path that the storm took, not good planning.

We were in Queensland Australia looking for a cyclone hidey hole. Essentially got from a local cruiser that they knew a really good spot, but they wouldn't tell us because it might get crowded. Being a non-local cruiser who hasn't spent multiple storm seasons in place is not the same as being a local.

And locally experienced or not, you can't pick the storm strength that will hit your cruiser home.

Agree with all your points and I believe it all comes down to what you feel comfortable with. I can’t imagine the stress involved with a cat 4 or 5 hurricane coming at the Keys and having to evacuate to a virus riddled mainland. Not that the Keys won’t become greatly affected by the virus but I feel we are in a better position to truly isolate on our boat.