Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2020, 14:31   #106

Boat: Buccaneer 16ft
Re: Forced to change plans - where to go now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Slight, but significant math error my friend.

2 per cent of 330 million is 6.6 MILLION dead!

Even if the mortality rate is actually only 0.3 percent, that would still be almost ONE MILLION DEAD in the USA.

However, they are reporting the mortality rate of only those reported infected. And they only test/report the very ill. Until we are able to test everyone, we really have no idea what the actual mortality rate is among the general population. The consensus I have seen on the news is that its 10 to 20 times more deadly than the flu.
Ah, yeah, thanks, math and I never did get along, hell it's worse than I thought. Here in NZ they went to full level 4 lock down earlier than most countries, to try and cut down the spread, as of yesterday just over 1000 confirmed cases, 17 in hospitals and 1 death, so hard rules seem to be working. It's good, people here care about their elderly parents and grandparents and others, instead of just themselves and when they can move about and go sailing. I think anyone who thinks it's going to better and good to go, in early May have got their head in the sand, cheers Brian .
Old fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 17:51   #107

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

To get back to your question there is no place to go now
Old 05-04-2020, 22:34   #108

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old fella View Post
Ah, yeah, thanks, math and I never did get along, hell it's worse than I thought. Here in NZ they went to full level 4 lock down earlier than most countries, to try and cut down the spread, as of yesterday just over 1000 confirmed cases, 17 in hospitals and 1 death, so hard rules seem to be working. It's good, people here care about their elderly parents and grandparents and others, instead of just themselves and when they can move about and go sailing. I think anyone who thinks it's going to better and good to go, in early May have got their head in the sand, cheers Brian .
This may sound a bit facetious but here goes anyway.

Probably the best thing to have done when this thing got loose was put all the old people on boats and send them off cruising for a few months.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 23:20   #109
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Probably the best thing to have done when this thing got loose was put all the old people on boats and send them off cruising for a few months.

the old people that are losing the battle with the virus are usually already sick or compromised and would not be able or willing to cruise for a few months
Old 06-04-2020, 00:32   #110

Boat: Buccaneer 16ft

Quote:

Now there's an idea.
Old fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 00:58   #111

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:

Or better yet, send all the men off in boats since they have a much higher mortailty rate from cv19 than women do.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 02:41   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by apirate View Post
This is our first year cruising. We left Texas with a loose plan to go to the Bahamas first and then spend the summer in luperon DR. We made it to Boot Key Harbor in the Florida keys and, until COVID-19 sprang up, have been waiting for a weather window to cross.

We’re now cruising the out islands of the keys and starting to discuss where we go from here. Our preference would be to be in a hurricane hole or outside of the box for summer. Places we can anchor and stay out of marinas. With countries closing borders it seems traveling north along the the US east coast would be prudent rather than going south.

My question is for recommendations where to go. We’ve never considered going north before. Any ideas?
Think about staying in the US till virus is under control. Personally I'd cruise the west coast of Florida in the summer because the towns are cruiser friendly. I spent two summers in Bimini Bay off Four Freedoms Park in Cape Coral, FL. Don't let hurricane season bother you, you'll know when to find a hurricane hole. When you do decide on the Bahamas, consider anchoring off Bahia Mar, Ft. Lauderdale in Lake Sylvia for a few days. You dinghy over to the dinghy dock at Southport Raw Bar, have a beer, and provision at Winn Dixie across the street. Also a liquor store close by. Only a 12 hour jump to Bimini.
captivacapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 17:29   #113

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:

...you mean like on cruise ships?

Hmmm...how did that turn out?
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 19:39   #114

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
...you mean like on cruise ships?

Hmmm...how did that turn out?
I was thinking of yachts but why not cruise ships, you keep them locked in their cabins and feed them pizza.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 03:38   #115

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tartan37CB View Post
please check recent notices for the Chesapeake bay closed to recreational boating and a $5,000 fine for illegal boat entry closed for cruising for now at least that's latest from DNR Maryland.
Virginia followed Maryland's lead a couple of days later. The Chesapeake Bay is shut from top to bottom and side to side.

I finished a delivery about a week ago, taking a repeat customer's home to him. Lockdowns and closures chased us up the East Coast. We found fuel available but water and pump-out not at all. Getting home was a trick and the rental car company quarantined the CAR on arrival in Annapolis. It sat for three days and then was sanitized by a third party hazardous waste treatment company.

Crew and I quarantined for two weeks before the trip, temperatures twice each day.

I think the 2020 sailing season is shot. Businesses will be slow to reopen and staffing will be a problem. Sanitization will be ongoing and many services will not be available for a while. Fear, especially among actuarys at insurance companies, will slow reopening.

Border controls are likely to ease slowly. Rules for plane fulls of people will be applied across the board. Nice Bahamian C&I officers coming to your boat to check you in will be nowhere to be seen and the usual half hour process will take all day. Suspicion will reign.

Remember that C&I is really customs, immigration, agriculture, and health. We can expect a lot more attention to health, perhaps additional requirements, and certainly higher fees everywhere.

Lingering effects on regulation and service may never ease. Other countries will follow the long-standing leads of New Zealand and Australia. Officials are often reluctant to give up power and control.

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer. Those more optimistic are either Pollyannas or naive in my opinion. In the meantime I'm looking for other work.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 09:30   #116

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
I was thinking of yachts but why not cruise ships, you keep them locked in their cabins and feed them pizza.
I want a cabin with a balcony and WIFI. And I need beer with the pizza.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 15:25   #117

Wow, Auspicious,

That's really some chronicle. You must've felt so relieved to be back North and home!

I'm hoping that you're wrong about the Debbie Downer parts, but then, I'm a naive optimist...

Best wishes,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 17:18   #118

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
Virginia followed Maryland's lead a couple of days later. The Chesapeake Bay is shut from top to bottom and side to side.

Not precisely accurate.

https://chesapeakebaymagazine.com/md...remains-legal/

Md. Updates Boating Restrictions, Va. Boating Remains Legal

April 7, 2020
On the Chesapeake Bay, two governors’ executive orders have created two very different guidelines for boating during the COVID-19 pandemic.
In Maryland, pleasure boaters must stay off the water except for essential purposes, which the state continues to clarify. In Virginia, boaters may go out freely as long as they follow social distancing rules (more on that below).
In light of the flood of questions from Maryland boaters since Governor Larry Hogan’s stay-at-home order, the Maryland Department of Natural Resources (DNR) has updated its guidelines about what is and isn’t allowed, with a couple of notable changes.
Recreational boating is still forbidden in Maryland, with a few exceptions. According to DNR’s “Frequently Asked Questions about Governor Hogan’s Stay at Home Order” web page, those exceptions now include moving a boat from a marina to your home. Here’s the language DNR uses to address the issue:
Can I move my boat or have my boat moved from a marina to my home or my boat slip?
Yes, you can have your boat moved or delivered to your residence or boat slip. While it is not necessary for drivers in Maryland to have documentation about the purpose of travel, having such documentation may help. General recreational boating is not allowed.
The agency’s current guide also addresses traveling through Maryland by boat:
“While there are no orders limiting travel through Maryland by boat or car at this time, travelers are advised to make trips only for essential purposes.”
But DNR urges anyone traveling by boat or otherwise to avoid close contact with others in Maryland and to follow CDC guidance on domestic travel.
DNR maintains that fishing to feed yourself or your family, from shore or from a boat, is allowed as long as you follow social distancing rules and all existing fishing regulations:
“All current fishing, crabbing, and hunting rules and regulations still apply, including the requirement to have the appropriate licenses, permits and stamps.”
On its Frequently Asked Questions page, DNR says its current guidance is “subject to change throughout the duration of the public health emergency,” but the intent of Governor Hogan’s executive order is simple: “stay home unless you absolutely must leave.”
Bay Bulletin has reported on the differences between Maryland and Virginia’s current boating regulations. Virginia Governor Ralph Northam’s executive order “permits continued engagement in outdoor activities that can be beneficial to us all.” The Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries (DGIF) and Virginia Marine Resources Commission (VMRC) says recreational boating is allowed as long as boaters maintain at least six feet from other people who aren’t family, household members, or caretakers.
Virginia bans gatherings of 10 or more people, including:
“- When present at access points for fishing or boating, whether state or locally-owned;
– The beaching of vessels on sandbars, islands or banks while out on the water;
– The “rafting” of vessels together; and the numbers of individuals present on any vessel.
– When present at outdoor recreation lands, including Wildlife Management Areas.

Virginia says its Conservation and Marine Police officers will be monitoring water access points and activity on the water, even as recreational boating remains allowed.
” DGIF and VMRC want the outdoors to be a place of safe escape for you during this difficult time, and our ability to continue to promote this depends upon your assistance.”
Meg Walburn Viviano

More links to Virginia Boating;
https://www.mrc.virginia.gov/
https://www.dgif.virginia.gov/covid-19/

What I haven't seen addressed or made clear publicly is what is expected of Virginia boaters along the Potomac River shore line. Maryland has jurisdiction up to the Virginia shore line along the Potomac River. Do they plan to patrol and enforce Maryland restrictions on Virginia residents? Who knows?
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 15:31   #119

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

Hello, everyone. As an intensive care unit physician, Covid 19 is no joke. In two recently published articles, the mortality from this, once on a ventilator is as high as 98%. Males do much worse than females. Just like you don't get to choose the strength of your hurricane or its path, you don't get to choose if you are going to be the one requiring a mechanical ventilator and life support should you get covid-19. Best to not get exposed at all.

Here's the thing about doing anything that's non-essential. Should something happen to you or the people you are with, treating you will deplete sn already depleted healthcare workforce. We are maxed out, and out of many essential medications. we don't have enough personal protective equipment in are reusing disposable items.

The stay-at-home order is twofold: keep the disease from spreading, and to prevent unnecessary hospitalizations that will deplete our resources. Please stay home and stay safe. There are much worse things than missing out on one sailing season.

All the best,
Ben
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 15:44   #120

Way better in the Keys, I've been through 5 hurricanes there. I prefer a deep tidal channel, usually only 10 to 12 feet wider than the boat, and thick mangroves on all sides. Tie alot of lines to the thick "trunk" of the mangroves with plenty of slack for the rising tide. Pick your spot and don't wait till the last minute. You'll be fine.
captivacapt is offline   Reply With Quote