Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2017, 15:08   #31

Re: ICW Gulf Coast Cruising

There is fuel in the pleasant island marina in Sabine Lake if your boat can manage in les than 5 feet of water. Very tricky approach from the north or south. After that the next fuel is at Shell Morgan in Intracoastal City. We did Galveston to Shell Morgan in one day.

The first lock is in Calcaseu.

After Shell Morgan the next fuel is at Rio Fuel - about 25 miles west of Houma. Though I did not attempt it, you are supposed to be able to arrange for a fuel truck to come to the Houma Municipal Marina.

Considerably more fuel options after Houma.
VelascoGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2017, 15:54   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelascoGuy View Post
There is fuel in the pleasant island marina in Sabine Lake if your boat can manage in les than 5 feet of water. Very tricky approach from the north or south. After that the next fuel is at Shell Morgan in Intracoastal City. We did Galveston to Shell Morgan in one day.

The first lock is in Calcaseu.

After Shell Morgan the next fuel is at Rio Fuel - about 25 miles west of Houma. Though I did not attempt it, you are supposed to be able to arrange for a fuel truck to come to the Houma Municipal Marina.

Considerably more fuel options after Houma.
I looked at the charts for that sometime back, myself i think i would do the south entrance at Hwy 82 bridge.

You will need a VFH going through Houma and New Orleans.
Best to check in with VTC. Lots of traffic through there.
Nicor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 17:27   #33

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

[QUOTE=rwidman;2505651]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
In the ICW you will be relying a LOT ON MECHANICAL PROPULSION. ........... QUOTE]

Ya think? He has a 1997 Chaparral 260 Signature Sport cruiser. He always relies on "mechanical propulsion".
Hah you got me! I keep forgetting that there are powerboats. Strange, since I actually seem to have one now.
Old 29-11-2017, 23:12   #34

Boat: Jensen, Cal 25, Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
Well, there is a lot to know if you plan on getting to the Keys from Galveston. Start by picking up a Waterway Guide (Southern Edition). It is a pain though, since it works from east to west, so you have to work backwards for this trip.

One caution...you need to change out your zincs if moving from fresh water, to saltwater.

Size wise, I don't see a problem for most of the cruise. Not sure what you plan on doing past Apalachicola? Most of us cross from there, or Carrabelle, to Tarpon Springs or Clearwater Beach. That's at least 150 miles across the Gulf. You can probably work your way around the Big Bend, but that isn't an option with a deep draft sailboat.

Electronics- We just have a VHF and small Garmin chartplotter.

For gas stops, marinas, and hotels, as well as mileage....it's all in the Waterway Guide. Note that the ICW is marked every 5 statute miles - for instance at Galveston where you enter the ICW, it's 350 WHL. Or 350 miles west of Harvey Lock.

The only smart phone app we use is Navionics, for backup.

How long in hours is simple. How far do you want to go / boatspeed over the ground (which accounts for current).

Precautions- Weather, obstacles, floating debris, channel markers out of place, other boats (especially ones many times bigger than you).

Maintenance? Check with other power boat cruisers.

Hey, you can do it, and have a very enjoyable cruise *if* you study and plan before leaving the dock. It's very different than just hopping in your car and driving cross country.

We've done the trip twice, so take a look at our blog to see what is ahead of you.

Ralph
And don't forget the ample opportunities to run aground! A depth sounder and updated charts are a must. Cruisers.net covers everything for the area. Also, radio communication skills to open bridges and communicate with other vessels is critical too. DO mind the work boats! Know your duck out spots for those tropical cells that can pass over you like a small hurricane. Proper ground tackle for the area is a must as well. I would suggest a rocna, or any other anchor that resets quickly, as the wind will clock 180 on you and pull up your anchor frequently.
nnb4oc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, gulf coast, icw