Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2022, 17:44   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: ICW Question- East Coast Florida

My opinion is simple...I've done the ICW route.....once was enuff. Today, I'd rather stick needles in my eyes than do the ICW again.

Going offshore....in my humble opinion...is the only way to go. Your boat is perfectly suited to do the offshore run. It is 1,000 times more enjoyable and relaxing, even day sailing, you can do it in hops.

As Jedi pointed out...Canaveral to Ft.P is a one day hop. Leave early. You can anchor out in Ft. P or go to a marina. Ft. P to WPB another one day hop, etc, on down the coast...as above anchor or find a marina.

Stick close to shore to avoid the north flowing Gulf Stream.
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 18:45   #17

Boat: Catalina 470

You should not have many issues with a 6ft draft. I live aboard in the area, with an almost 8ft draft. The ICW is plenty deep for your draft, and the St Lucie inlet is quite manageable, even with my boat. Just stick to the marked channel, and you’ll be fine. I’ve seen no mention of the Jupiter inlet, and that’s good - I won’t go anywhere near that inlet with a sailboat. Either go outside, or if your air draft allows, there’s only one fixed bridge between the St Lucie and Palm Beach inlets, Blue Heron bridge. Once you get down to the Palm Beach inlet, as others have mentioned there is a great anchorage and mooring field just south of Peanut Island - that’s where my boat is currently moored. Stop by to say hello, and share some coffee or beer.

-David
S/V Rising Sun
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 19:12   #18

The “standard” draft of your version of the Cal 39 was 6’7” and the shoal draft version was supposed to be 5’6”, but my shoal draft version measures in at 5’8”.

The last time I went out the St. Lucie inlet the thinnest water I saw was 13’ , but that was in 2013. Probably shoaled in a bit since then, and in fact I recently saw an RFQ in the local Stuart newspaper to dredge the inlet. Still, lots of big traffic goes in and out and you should be fine with your draft.
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2022, 07:43   #19

Boat: Lagoon 380
ICW Question- East Coast Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
My opinion is simple...I've done the ICW route.....once was enuff. Today, I'd rather stick needles in my eyes than do the ICW again.

Going offshore....in my humble opinion...is the only way to go. Your boat is perfectly suited to do the offshore run. It is 1,000 times more enjoyable and relaxing, even day sailing, you can do it in hops.

As Jedi pointed out...Canaveral to Ft.P is a one day hop. Leave early. You can anchor out in Ft. P or go to a marina. Ft. P to WPB another one day hop, etc, on down the coast...as above anchor or find a marina.

One hurdle with the Cape is lock timing. Not 24 hour op

Anyone try anchoring east of the lock??
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2022, 08:39   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

well, the assumption is that you are already thru' the locks...there is a marina close by...in early times you could anchor in that basin across from the marina, but the cruise ships tie up there now...I seem to recall seeing boats anchored close to the marina.
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2022, 12:00   #21
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by team karst View Post
One hurdle with the Cape is lock timing. Not 24 hour op

Anyone try anchoring east of the lock??
We have a slip in one of the marinas there and are currently hauled out at Cape Marina. You’re not allowed to anchor east of the locks.

For super early (before lock and bridge operation) departure you might get a deal when buying fuel at the marina we are at. You can call them and ask if you can buy fuel late in the afternoon and stay at the fuel dock a couple of hours for “night” departure. Don’t tell them I came up with this

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2022, 14:09   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seafox 236cc, Carver 44-50', Silverton 453 (looking)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post

When you say "stay close to shore" how close are you recommending...in depth or miles? Thanks
BuoyCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2022, 14:13   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seafox 236cc, Carver 44-50', Silverton 453 (looking)

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
We have a slip in one of the marinas there and are currently hauled out at Cape Marina. You’re not allowed to anchor east of the locks.

For super early (before lock and bridge operation) departure you might get a deal when buying fuel at the marina we are at. You can call them and ask if you can buy fuel late in the afternoon and stay at the fuel dock a couple of hours for “night” departure. Don’t tell them I came up with this
Funny you say you cant anchor east of the locks. We did and the anchor held great (lol) while taking kids fishing near the bridge/sandy beach area...port police didn't like it had us immediately move along. Thats how i learned no anchoring east of the locks. Kids did catch a few small fish, made a memory...was fun anyway. cheers!
BuoyCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2022, 14:23   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuoyCall View Post
When you say "stay close to shore" how close are you recommending...in depth or miles? Thanks
The stream meanders and changes.
Local wether will tell you each day how far out the stream is. Lots of depth west of the stream.
Old 14-01-2022, 15:55   #25

Boat: Lagoon 380

Short answer. Stay west of 80 deg long. Yeah, it moves a little E/W
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2022, 17:12   #26
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
There’s probably one or two cruise ships anchored outside Port Canaveral at the most outward channel markers. You are already in the current there. When we come out, we turn south at the second marker beyond the breakwater. Point straight at West Palm Beach which will bring you further offshore first, then closing in all the time.

With a little luck you can find a 1kt counter current, which we did in the past but not last time… we tried the same spots but nothing. The current changes all the time.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2022, 04:32   #27

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
I'm a subscriber to Chris parker.

One and a half miles off of both Jupiter and lake Worth and 10 miles off of fort pierce.

South of lake Worth if you can't see the smiles on the people on the beach you are too far out and will encounter the edge of the Gulf stream...

I've done the trip from fort Pierce to Miami several times and I just look at my depth chart. There's plenty of depth within a quarter mile of shore and most places...

My apologies for any dictation errors as I am on the phone while my computer reboots!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 16:38   #28

Boat: SOLD! 2005 Lagoon, 440, owners version

Our mast is 64.5 (4.5 draft) and we have travelled the entire ICW from savannah Georgia to Cape Canaveral and from Fort Pierce all the way to Fort Lauderdale. We skipped the section from Cape Canaveral to Fort Pierce because of a reported bridge that the Coast Guard agrees is not 65 foot tall. We have also traveled outside From Savannah to Miami and greatly prefer to travel outside. I’ve never seen depths that would affect your boat on the ICW other than in Georgia.

Your biggest concern is going to be timing the drawbridges correctly so that you don’t have to tread water in front of a bridge waiting for it to open. Your second biggest concern is going to be boat traffic.

6 foot draft is fine on the Florida ICW in my experience
Nahbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 16:41   #29

Boat: SOLD! 2005 Lagoon, 440, owners version

As far as offshore going south if you send me your email I will send you my tracks on Navionics that works great for us

Click image for larger version

Name:	7CF5513C-DF63-4FDE-A3D0-1C3390DEBBEF.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	521.3 KB
ID:	254050
Nahbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 07:00   #30

FYI from ft Lauderdale to miami there is a 55’ fixed bridge, need to go outside
Jim Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
east coast, florida, icw