Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2020, 12:40   #16

Re: Need advice about Long Island Sound

I fully agree with the ICW.. I've done it several times with friends and really love it.. Can't wait to do it on my own under my own sail. That's why I wanted to do the Maryland stuff first, then start doing proper ICW from Virginia onwards.. Thanks for your input as It is great advice with the bridges, etc.. cheers!!
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 13:08   #17

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38
Re: Need advice about Long Island Sound

I have cruised extensively in the area and I'm happy to answer specific questions, but you may start to notice that people are suggesting more spots OUTSIDE of LI sound than inside, despite the title of your post. I would have to agree that with only about a week to explore, you might be better off staying mostly outside of LI Sound as well. There is a ton of great territory to explore between Mystic, CT and Buzzards Bay. Here are some spots to consider:

OUTSIDE LI Sound:
Cuttyhunk (inner harbor) - get a mooring or anchor and explore the island, raw bar delivery
Hadley's Harbor - anchor in serene setting
Napatree/Watch Hill - visit the town or anchor and go to the beach
Coecles Harbor, Shelter Island - anchor in the designated area for a nice secure night
Point Judith - Harbor of Refuge is convenient if you need it, good anchorage way inside if you want it

Actually Inside Long Island Sounds:
-Thimble Islands - you can pick up an unused mooring, very pretty
-Port Jefferson - Anchor near Mt. Misery
-Flat Hammock Island - anchor for great scenery in Fishers Island Sound
-Mystic Seaport Museum - This one deserves a little more description. Even if this is where you start or finish your trip, I STRONGLY recommend paying for a berth at the museum and spending the night. After the museum closes, you still have the ability to walk around their fake 19th century whaling town. It's the closest thing to time traveling you can do in a boat. Also, find Chris (the museum Vice President) and ask him if he can show you their special collection of boats. It will blow your mind and he's an amazing tour guide who's usually happy to oblige.

Just for a hypothetical if you were chartering out of Mystic and had a week to sail, this is what I would do.

1) Mystic to Watch Hill
2) Watch Hill to Cuttyhunk (long day)
3) Cuttyhunk to Hadley's Harbor (very short day)
4) Hadley's Harbor to Block Island (with Point Judith as backup)
5) Block Island to Coecles Harbor
6) Coecles Harbor to Flat Hammock
7) Flat Hammock to Mystic Seaport Museum

Also, get the Eldridge book for an invaluable discussion on how to ride a favorable current across Rhode Island Sound as well as current diagrams of the whole area.

Sure, you can easily spend a week sailing around LI Sound (I certainly have) but if you're already starting in CT you might as spend your week out in the ocean.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Long Island, long island sound