Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2013, 15:35   #16

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Northern Chesapeake

Hmmm... don't recognize that either, although we do usually pay serious attention to restaurant landmarks

Which direction from Bay Wolf or Fisherman's? And is Pasta Plus any good?

-Chris
Old 20-03-2013, 15:41   #17
Marine Service Provider

If I remember correctly, fishermans is at the end of sharp st. Pasta plus is next to the gas station on rt 20.

Lived there in the late 80's so it's been a while.
beachbum29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 15:50   #18

I can't remember the street names there, but Fisherman's is next door to Rock Hall Landing marina in the main harbor area. The other two marinas are on the Swan Creek side, along the street Bay Wolf is on.

Not sure I remember seeing a gas station in town, although maybe we haven't biked far enough in one direction or other...

-Chris
Old 20-03-2013, 15:55   #19
Marine Service Provider

It's near where main st & rt 20 intersects
Old 20-03-2013, 19:40   #20

Boat: Island Packet 37 - Finistere
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum29 View Post

Next 2 pasta plus?

Lol
Next question, where is Pasta Plus?

From Haven Harbor, or Osprey Point go east on 20, past the Main intersection (flashing light) for about a quarter mile and WM is on the left.
Finistere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 19:49   #21
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finistere View Post

Next question, where is Pasta Plus?

From Haven Harbor, or Osprey Point go east on 20, past the Main intersection (flashing light) for about a quarter mile and WM is on the left.
It was on rt 20 just north of the main st intersection next to shore stop.

This was about 20-25 years ago...
Old 20-03-2013, 20:25   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum29 View Post

It was on rt 20 just north of the main st intersection next to shore stop.

This was about 20-25 years ago...
I don't know if Route 20 is goes East or North, either way you are heading out of town and WM is well passed Shore Stop, next to the Bank and just before Wallgreens.
Old 21-03-2013, 05:24   #23
Marine Service Provider

These are all excellent suggestions. As a professional captain who has sailed the bay for over forty years---The balancing factors are automobile ride time to boat versus boat transit time from slip to open water. Bohemia is shallow. Sassafrass does have a long trip out to Bay. I don't recommend either Delaware City or Chesapaeake City. Summit North on the C and D has a lot to offer and gives you ready access to both Bays, but again, from the C and D to open Chesapeake sailing is a loooooong way/// Same for Havre De Grace. Middle River area north of Baltimore may work--and for example, Bowleys Quarters is a great marina. I am available at www. Foerfront dot com
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 05:35   #24
Marine Service Provider

Worton creek may work for some.
Old 21-03-2013, 06:03   #25

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32

West Marine in Rock Hall
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 06:23   #26

Boat: Chesapeake Light Craft Passagemaker, Tyler Craft T42, and 9' RIB.

There is that balance between - windshield time and Iron gennie time. In the car miles covered are normally much faster. Even at 45MPH the car is going over 6 times the speed you might make on a sailboat. For me, I'd look long and hard at that equation and balance.

I'll second Rock Hall and Wharton Creek from Philly. I will also second Bowleys Quarters.

IMHO, once you are North of the Middle River, wide deep water starts to become scarce and you might spend more time with the engine running than sailing. There are some nice marinas up past that point and if I owned a swing keel shoal draft sailboat or a powerboat, I'd look at them. Note - last time I was up that way north the water was crowded with folks tubing and lots of Satan's Spawn(aka- jet skis) and was not very pleasant. It might have changed.

One other kind of odd thought...

What about one of the marinas in Baltimore? Gives you the option to take the train from city to city at times or drive. From a number of marinas in Canton there is great sailing and striking distance to a lot of great places. Lots of deep water and gunkholes not too far away. Sounds like you have a 37C? That would run between 1800 and 2700 a year in several nice places in the area.

What about a place on the Delaware bay in NJ like Greenwhich?

I am currently going through the marina selection process myself, I have a few months and that balance between car time and Iron gennie time is not so easy. Please let us know what you decided and how you got there.
Ramblingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 15:08   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltyhog View Post
Ha! Thanks.

And sure enough, we've not ever bicycled further east on 20 (Rock Hall Ave) past the main intersection at 445 (Main St). From the intersection, not much is visible, looks like the road heads off into fields toward Chestertown or similar. Didn't know there was a WM -- or Walkgreen's, for that matter -- out there, so I appreciate all the info!

-Chris
Old 23-03-2013, 17:09   #28

You may want to check the drive time, not so much the distance, to Rock Hall from Philly. We live in Northern Delaware and I believe it takes me about 5 minutes longer to drive to Annapolis than Rock Hall.
Old 22-04-2013, 14:29   #29

Hey there, Center City commuter here. I bought both of my sailboats from private sellers at Sailing Associates on the Sassafras. Was about a hour-10minute drive, maybe a touch more. Have nothing but great things to say, the Marina Manager basically saved my ass one day, and went WAY above and beyond to help us out. Even drove me into town to an ATM to get cash to pay ANOTHER MARINA. They do some work there, and Duffy's Marina 5 minutes away can do everything else.

That being said, it's a long-haul to get to the bay from there. I keep my boat in Philadelphia now, at Piers Marina. It has it's ups and downs, but the community is good, and you can pay monthly payments instead of an annual lump sum.

It takes about 10 hours to hit the Chesapeake bay from here, but frankly it's worth it to me. Being 10 minutes away form my boat is awesome, I can go and have dinner on it with the Admiral, or hit the water for as little as 30 minutes if I want. Maintenance is easier as well since my tools are all nearby. No 75 minute drive if I forget a heat gun, then 75 minutes back. There's also Dredge Harbor about 9 miles north of Center City in NJ that's a full-service marina.
KyleYankan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 18:32   #30
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleYankan View Post
Hey there, Center City commuter here. I bought both of my sailboats from private sellers at Sailing Associates on the Sassafras. Was about a hour-10minute drive, maybe a touch more. Have nothing but great things to say, the Marina Manager basically saved my ass one day, and went WAY above and beyond to help us out. Even drove me into town to an ATM to get cash to pay ANOTHER MARINA. They do some work there, and Duffy's Marina 5 minutes away can do everything else.

That being said, it's a long-haul to get to the bay from there. I keep my boat in Philadelphia now, at Piers Marina. It has it's ups and downs, but the community is good, and you can pay monthly payments instead of an annual lump sum.

It takes about 10 hours to hit the Chesapeake bay from here, but frankly it's worth it to me. Being 10 minutes away form my boat is awesome, I can go and have dinner on it with the Admiral, or hit the water for as little as 30 minutes if I want. Maintenance is easier as well since my tools are all nearby. No 75 minute drive if I forget a heat gun, then 75 minutes back. There's also Dredge Harbor about 9 miles north of Center City in NJ that's a full-service marina.
Is Patrick still at Sailing Associates?