Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2013, 10:39   #61

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post

Your "drive back" is that with public transport? It will take a bit of time... Also we once wanted to take our car over the border into Costa Rica but it was too much hassle with bureaucrats so. i don't think a rental car will work...
In my good old Jeep Cherokee. We drove down from Guate. Took about a month. It is currently in bonded storage in Panama City (this stops the paperwork clock). Plan is to cruise a few months then drive it back to Guate. Probably take about a month again but diff route.

I used to live in FL...cant imagine anywhere w worse lightining. Ive been in electrical storms there at night where it was lit up like daytime from almost continuos strikes. Could see well enough to steer by sight.

You mentioned having Bauhaus' charts on your chart plotter. Did you georeference these yourself or are they available somewhere?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 11:09   #62
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post

In my good old Jeep Cherokee. We drove down from Guate. Took about a month. It is currently in bonded storage in Panama City (this stops the paperwork clock). Plan is to cruise a few months then drive it back to Guate. Probably take about a month again but diff route.

I used to live in FL...cant imagine anywhere w worse lightining. Ive been in electrical storms there at night where it was lit up like daytime from almost continuos strikes. Could see well enough to steer by sight.

You mentioned having Bauhaus' charts on your chart plotter. Did you georeference these yourself or are they available somewhere?
Ask the neighbors it's a simple program with charts that circulates :thumbs:

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:54   #63

Re: Panama Experience Welcome...

Re Zarpe's between Panama Ports.

As I understand from the officials, you are supposed to make a Zarpe between your major ports of call in Panama. However, there does not seem to be any enforcement of this rule.

How many of you actually do this?
Old 04-06-2013, 08:49   #64

Boat: Seafarer36c

We skipped out of Shelter Bay without one ( stupid move) and when we checked into Bocas they wanted to charge us quite a bit more than normal. We decided to come back another day to make the payment and the person on duty that day charged us nothing for our misdeads.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:29   #65

Good to know. I've been making them along that way, but have run across other cruisers who did not even know they were supposed to.

On our return to Bocas from San Blas, I think I will just make one Zarpe rather than in/out at intermediate stops. No one comes out to check and I think as long as you don't go in at that port to do paper work it is likely not to be an issue. If so, at least I would have a Zarpe on hand for my finial destination.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:51   #66

Re: Provisioning in San Blas

While making our way towards the San Blas, we repeatedly heard from other cruisers that you can't provision there...better buy everything before you get there. This has certainly not been our first experience. After just a few days around Porvenir our stores overfloweth.

Here's what I've learned so far:

Local boats drop by to sell lobster and fish on almost a daily basis. I bought a large grouper and now we have fish laid in for weeks. The lobster we have seen for sale were all of legal size and reasonably priced ($2 for a medium sized one)...unlike some venues where there are lots of small ones and at high prices.

A skiff from Miramar came by with an excellent selection of fresh produce. We loaded up because you don't find much produce in the local tiendas.

The local tiendas carry some basic, but important, stuff: beer ($16 a case for Balboa), coffee, flour, rice, basic canned goods. As a bonus you get to mill around a Kuna village searching for tiendas among the tightly spaced structures.

Fits in with my provisioning philosophy too: if you are going somewhere there are people then they gotta eat something...provision locally and fresh as part of the experience.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:09   #67

Boat: CSY 44 Cutter

Try this if you have SSB and are NOT in the US as it isn't allowed in the US on this particular frequency, 6.209 USB is a marine net for the NW and SW Caribbean net. 7:30 am local time (2 hours behind eastern US) is the SW Caribbean net, mainly Panama and that is where you want to be. Later at 8am local is the NW Caribbean net, Roatan up to Isla Mujeres.. A lot of information from Panama and recent can be had here!
Turtlegrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:11   #68

Yes, both NW and SW Carib Nets are good sources for info. I'm currently a net controller on the SW Net.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:41   #69
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Panama Experience Welcome...

RED ALERT.... RED ALERT.... RED ALERT... RED ALERT....
Tanquerray & Tonic IS NOT a Happy Hour drink at Shelter Bay.... or anything else apart from beer and rum... possibly wine...
Be warned... the Bar Bill could seriously damage your heart.... especially if your 'Last Man Standing'....

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 23:49   #70
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Stevens 50

Shelter Bay Marina is terrific. And the best way to go through the canal is with an agent. I recommend David at MatchShip. There's a good account of going through the canal in my book, The Boy Behind the Gate. It's fun, exciting, and a bit scary too! Good sailing to you!
julia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Panama