Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2016, 12:20   #31

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Re: Stuck need help to get to Key West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Coming off the Keys there is a bend between them and mainland Fla. On the outside it is more pronounced. In the Hawk probably not noticed?
Oh. You're asking what the change in direction of the chain of islands is called? Doesn't have any name that I've ever heard. Key West is farther west than the beginning of the keys, therefore the name.
We always used to tell the tourists there was a reason it's not called Key South lol.
Old 23-04-2016, 21:42   #32

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I'll make a guess at how this happens. Whether you're driving on US 1 or cruising by boat, everything between Miami and Key West is on a long string that people have the habit of making the points along the line as if arranged from north to south. Sure, you're right,- "the string" curves dramatically to the west, but people still simplistically talk about the route as what's north or south along the line.
If your sailing...or motoring...on the water, you are usually using a chart to get to where your going. If you are giving someone directions on said chart ...which depict everything in relation to north south east and west....then using those bearing correctly would be helpful and less confusing. the reason nautical terms came about, was not to be different but to stop the confusion of interpretation, if you say west it can only mean one thing, if you say starboard it can only mean one thing, no mater what way you are facing, on a boat.
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 11:20   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkrman69 View Post
If your sailing...or motoring...on the water, you are usually using a chart to get to where your going. If you are giving someone directions on said chart ...which depict everything in relation to north south east and west....then using those bearing correctly would be helpful and less confusing. the reason nautical terms came about, was not to be different but to stop the confusion of interpretation, if you say west it can only mean one thing, if you say starboard it can only mean one thing, no mater what way you are facing, on a boat.
You're absolutely right. I was not defending the action of calling everything further down the chain of Keys as further south. I was just suggesting an explanation as I am familiar with this common error.
Old 26-04-2016, 13:53   #34

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Oh. You're asking what the change in direction of the chain of islands is called? Doesn't have any name that I've ever heard. Key West is farther west than the beginning of the keys, therefore the name.
We always used to tell the tourists there was a reason it's not called Key South lol.
Doesn't really matter. I think that is where a guy radioed me and asked if we were going to The Rock, since we had been in sight of each other for some time. He bared East and we hugged the Keys. I probably have it on a paper chart if I can find it.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 14:37   #35

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
You're absolutely right. I was not defending the action of calling everything further down the chain of Keys as further south. I was just suggesting an explanation as I am familiar with this common error.
Well then, it is the responsibility of those that know the correct way to enlighten those that don't. that's one responsibility that society has been slack on. It does no one any good to cradle others and let them stay in the dark. Every thing I know today was given to me by someone that cared. Not saying you don't care, but it's the compassion to care for others that has been eroding away over the generations and I feel is the root cause of the animosities in the world today.

It's not just "their" problem. It's "our" problem. the world is a lot smaller than most think and no one is an island unto themselves.

Damn, that came across a little abrasive. I don't seem to be able to come up with a softer way to say what I said, right now. Please accept my apologies if you find my wording offensive, but the context?....meaning?....statment?....stands.

Lance
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 19:58   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Lance, There is a value in being able to interpret those that have gone astray. We don't need to follow their path, but we can know where they are.
Old 26-04-2016, 20:25   #37

I agree with your post Lance, it's Society's general lack of foresight that has gotten us where we are today. Every person needs to assist those who ask for assistance IMO. I'm always asking questions to learn, because as far as I know even Einstien died not knowing everything!
Clamdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 09:49   #38

Boat: DUFOUR 12000 CT - 45' - SANS SOUCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachbumKW View Post
Been stuck trying to bring our new to us sailboat back to Key West. Weather has not been cooperating finally got to Miami. taking Hawks Channel to Key West looks like the wind and seas calm down Saturday & Sunday would like to make the run in 2 days suggestions on where we can stay Half way without night time sailing average 5 kts I know they will be long days
Thanks
There is a good anchorage near Geiger Key. (mile marker 10.5)
sanssouci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 10:17   #39

Boat: Swan 44 Mk II

I've always done it in 3 days anchoring at Rodriguez Key then a Marathon just outside of the entrance to Duck Key Harbor and then on day 3 on to Key West. This might be a good time to remember all you've heard about sailors and schedules.
Roniszoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 08:24   #40

Boat: Nordhavn 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkrman69 View Post
Not sure where this "south boot key channel is .....the boot key channel runes east to west out the west end of boot key harbor, sisters creek runs south along the east side of Boot key betwixt boot key and sombrero
The writer was probably referring to the anchorage outside the channel on the South side called "South Boot Key Channel" on Active Captain. It appears to be a pretty good spot and seems to be properly labeled since there is another one called "north boot key channel on the north side. You may not have known that if you don't use active captain but it seems that before this got into a general discussion about how no one pays attention to directions anymore someone would have Googled it and read the very first entry which is a Dockwa page with the tide, current and weather for the exact location of the Active Captain marker.

Maybe we should save our corrections for things that actually need correcting. Particularly when we start generalizing it.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
key west