Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Leopard Catamarans, Robertson & Caine
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2017, 15:35   #31

Re: Atlantic 57 Catamaran called Leopard was recovered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taichungman View Post
Does anyone know if there has been a written account of the capsize from the crews perspective. I have heard there was a water spout but, did it just drop out of the clear sky? Or, was there weather going on and they failed to shorten sail? Or, what happen?

I have experienced water spouts on two occasions, once in the Gulf of Mexico and once off Cape Hatteras. In those experiences, I saw the spouts and the weather in the distance and determined which way I needed to go.

So, does anyone no the story? I understand the crew were experienced sailors, so something unusual must of happened.
ATLANTIC 57 CAPSIZE: More Details on the Fate of Leopard
Lool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 16:21   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaslug Caravan View Post
The story goes like this.

On delivery, aware of approaching front. jogging along with sheets eased awaiting said front to pass. It was dark and a little cold so the very experienced crew put in place a very sound plan based on their vast experience.

As it was dinner time they decided it was fine to put off reefing the sails for a while and just ease sheets a little more, all retire to the Great Dining Hall, and sit down for a spiffing good meal. As everyone knows you can't possibly function on an empty stomach.

Then the most unbelievable thing happens, how were they to know. The front they were awaiting arrives, complete with a few embedded meteorlogical thingies often found in frontal systems .

They couldn't hear, or feel its approach over the sounds of Bach or the warmth from the Great Halls climate control system, from their superior vantage point around the highly polished dining table.

You gotta feel for them. It could have happened to anyone.
Not quite right : 2 reefs in the main, staysail rolled up to second reef mark, cook in galley, but captain and mate standing at helm station having just cracked sheets after changing course from 36 AWA to 42 AWA to smooth out the boat's motion. TWS 18 knots. Then a loud roar from starboard quarter, starboard hull lifted up, ("like being in an elevator")... no acceleration or lateral resistance from leeward hull. Up and over in seconds ... no rain or strong wind after mate climbed on underside of wing deck 20 seconds later. Neither Bach nor non-existent climate control were distractions.
Old 18-05-2017, 16:55   #33

Boat: Tartan 40
Atlantic 57 Catamaran called Leopard was recovered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lool View Post
Not quite right : 2 reefs in the main, staysail rolled up to second reef mark, cook in galley, but captain and mate standing at helm station having just cracked sheets after changing course from 36 AWA to 42 AWA to smooth out the boat's motion. TWS 18 knots. Then a loud roar from starboard quarter, starboard hull lifted up, ("like being in an elevator")... no acceleration or lateral resistance from leeward hull. Up and over in seconds ... no rain or strong wind after mate climbed on underside of wing deck 20 seconds later. Neither Bach nor non-existent climate control were distractions.

That's also what I heard from a pro who heard firsthand account. Waterspout or microburst. Very experienced crew. (Would have flattened a mono which maybe would have survived if could have avoided downflooding)

This was a beautiful fast boat when I sailed on it a couple of years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 17:52   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lool View Post
Thank you Lool; I knew someone must know the real story; It could happen to any of us and being at night did not help things. I watch the the radar pretty close in stormy condition or when lightening in the distance and can of course see rain on radar and estimate how fast a storm is moving, but you can't see a tornado wrapped in rain or one that drops out of the sky on top of you, maybe with no rain at all. Seems they did all the rights things under the conditions they knew. Glad no one was seriously hurt. I did find a website with some info:
Rescued After Five Months of Floating >> Scuttlebutt Sailing News
Old 19-05-2017, 06:24   #35

The most complete account online can be found at wavetrain.net. Scroll back past the more recent posts to Nov 25, 2016to ATLANTIC 57 CAPSIZE More details on the fate of Leopard.

Tags
cal, catamaran, leopard