Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Leopard Catamarans, Robertson & Caine
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2022, 03:06   #1

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Installing AIS unit to 2017 Leopard 40

Good morning!

We decided to install an AIS in our 2017 Leopard 40. Trying a unit with a splitter first. I know, splitters sometimes not work. But we want to try that route, before we install a seperate UHF antenna...

I am not at the boat at this moment, so would like to hear from you guys how you did that job...

Installed is a Raymarine Axiom 9. I guess it is still the OEM Seatalkng Backbone. Original Plotter was a 95a, which was replaced a while ago.
Where did you install the AIS? We bought the emtrak B923 transceiver with bluetooth. I guess close to the electric pannel, so easy connection to the existing antenna?

I have already a couple of extra cables, like a spur cable, T-connector and Seatalkng connecting cable... Anything else needed?

Thanks for your help and suggestions!

John
Old 21-08-2022, 06:48   #2

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage
Re: Installing AIS unit to 2017 Leopard 40

Consider a dedicated "AIS" antenna lower down.
I say "AIS" antenna because these are designed specifically for the AIS frequencies and perform better than a standard VHF antenna.
The range 15-20Nm is achievable from big ships because their antenna are very high up, range for smaller vessels is not so much of an issue but we are still receiving signals from 10 Nm my AIS antenna is 3m off the water.
It is simple to install and having a second antenna low down and it can also be used by you VHF in an emergency if your mast comes down is a bonus.

Splitters do work but there can be annoying problems some VHF channels may be unusable. If there is a lot of traffic and you are also using the VHF a lot, because there is a lot of traffic it will greatly reduce the speed at which the AIS can collect data, it is quite a slow process. Power failure to the splitter usually defaults to the VHF but if this occurs it maybe sometime before you realise that you are not transmitting AIS signals.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2022, 15:25   #3

Boat: Outremer 55L

Your Emtrak 923 unit has a built in splitter so your only worry about using the existing VHF antenna is if it is a high gain model. AIS requires <3dBi gain. The other issue is that with a splitter when you are transmitting on the VHF the AIS will not receive nor transmit. Do you use your VHF a lot? Having a dedicated AIS antenna is nice but not necessary in the near term. Masthead is good, we get 20+ miles receive.

Yes, install it near your existing VHF radio and electrical panel, as you will be connecting the VHF antenna and the radio to the Emtrak, as well as the Emtrak to power. If you have a spare SeatalkNG terminal available then you may need an adapter to connect the Emtrak to your network.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2022, 15:31   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Your Emtrak 923 unit has a built in splitter so your only worry about using the existing VHF antenna is if it is a high gain model. AIS requires <3dBi gain. The other issue is that with a splitter when you are transmitting on the VHF the AIS will not receive nor transmit. Do you use your VHF a lot? Having a dedicated AIS antenna is nice but not necessary in the near term. Masthead is good, we get 20+ miles receive.

Yes, install it near your existing VHF radio and electrical panel, as you will be connecting the VHF antenna and the radio to the Emtrak, as well as the Emtrak to power. If you have a spare SeatalkNG terminal available then you may need an adapter to connect the Emtrak to your network.
Thanks!

we do not use the VHF often. Acctually only when we have to call Marina prior approaching for refueling or before we leave. Some Marinas asking to call on VHF to get staff there to help you...

We are planning a passage in December through the indian ocean from the Seychelles to Thailand. Lot of commercial traffic there, so nice to have the AIS... AND: In Thailand AIS is required.

Thanks again!

John
Old 21-08-2022, 16:00   #5

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscis View Post
Thanks!

we do not use the VHF often. Acctually only when we have to call Marina prior approaching for refueling or before we leave. Some Marinas asking to call on VHF to get staff there to help you...

We are planning a passage in December through the indian ocean from the Seychelles to Thailand. Lot of commercial traffic there, so nice to have the AIS... AND: In Thailand AIS is required.

Thanks again!

John

Yes, AIS is a great system and well worth installing.

BUT... Beware although AIS is required in Thailand and Singapore there are many vessels in Malaysia that do not have AIS, be especially vigilant of tug and tows.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2022, 12:04   #6

Boat: Leopard 40 Sailing Catamaran

We installed our vesper 8000 behind the switch panel. It's connected to our Axiom+ via a Seatalk conversion cable and up to our standard horizon VHF via NMEA 0183. We've been quite happy with it.

Cheers,

jBrad
sv Fuzzy Logic
Old 22-08-2022, 17:33   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBigKahuna View Post
We installed our vesper 8000 behind the switch panel. It's connected to our Axiom+ via a Seatalk conversion cable and up to our standard horizon VHF via NMEA 0183. We've been quite happy with it.

Cheers,

jBrad
sv Fuzzy Logic
Brad, does your Axiom show your own vessel as an AIS target on the chart? Mine does, and I’m trying to find the setting in Axiom to ignore my own vessel. Any tips?
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2022, 01:36   #8

Quote:

Cheers,

jBrad
sv Fuzzy Logic
We got a Seatalkng to NMEA 2000 adapter. The EMTrak has the NMEA 2000 connection. So i hope this will work... Hope we have all cables, T-connectors and adapters on hand.

Did you route the cable to the helm station and connect it there to your existing system?

I was hoping there is a T-connector from the Seatalkng backbone behind the switch panel, so i dont have to route the line all the way up to the helm.

One more thing: How is the switch pannel be opened? Is it srewed in or are there hinges on one side to swap it open?

Thanks again!

John
Old 23-08-2022, 01:47   #9

Here the schematics of the installed Raymarine Seatalkng Backbone.

At what place can i find the open ended T-connector? From there i would like to go to the AIS and use the Seatalkng to NMEA2000 adapter...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Raymarine SeatlaknNG Backbode.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	307.4 KB
ID:	263278  
Old 23-08-2022, 09:26   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
Brad, does your Axiom show your own vessel as an AIS target on the chart? Mine does, and I’m trying to find the setting in Axiom to ignore my own vessel. Any tips?
Ours behaves the same, unfortunately. But we live with it. One benefit w/ the Vesper is that it has it's own WIFI network. So, we also connect our tablets toit to get AIS data on the tablets. That's been pretty handy!
Old 23-08-2022, 15:03   #11

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post

Ours doesn’t. I can’t find a setting in our Axiom+ for that. However, we do set our own ship data in the AIS unit (MMSI, etc) so perhaps it is our AIS unit that ignores own ship data and doesn’t output that? We have an older iCOM MA-500TR AIS unit.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2022, 01:33   #12

Quote:
Ours behaves the same, unfortunately. But we live with it. One benefit w/ the Vesper is that it has it's own WIFI network. So, we also connect our tablets toit to get AIS data on the tablets. That's been pretty handy!
Thanks! Our EMTrak does have wifi too.

So how did you setup your tablet to show your position on it? Which navigation software do you use?

On the tablet, i am using Navionics. We have an Axiom 9 installed at the helm. Not yet sure which navigation charts we will use there. Have to purchase a new SD card, because the charter company will take out the installed card...

John
Old 26-08-2022, 17:47   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Ours doesn’t. I can’t find a setting in our Axiom+ for that. However, we do set our own ship data in the AIS unit (MMSI, etc) so perhaps it is our AIS unit that ignores own ship data and doesn’t output that? We have an older iCOM MA-500TR AIS unit.
Good info. I will look into the programming on my AIS unit. Maybe there’s an option to not put out own-ship information on the network.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2022, 08:32   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscis View Post
We got a Seatalkng to NMEA 2000 adapter. The EMTrak has the NMEA 2000 connection. So i hope this will work... Hope we have all cables, T-connectors and adapters on hand.

Did you route the cable to the helm station and connect it there to your existing system?

I was hoping there is a T-connector from the Seatalkng backbone behind the switch panel, so i dont have to route the line all the way up to the helm.

One more thing: How is the switch pannel be opened? Is it srewed in or are there hinges on one side to swap it open?

Thanks again!

John
Just saw this... apologies. Yes, needed the Seatalk adapter kit. and ran cables behind helm; thru access panel below helm to behind the switch panel. Relatively straight-forward.
Old 28-08-2022, 16:36   #15

Perfect. Thanks!

Tags
ais, leopard, leopard 40