Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2014, 09:24   #16

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9
Re: Leopard 40

What I think is a huge improvement over the 39 is the (from the pictures) room in the salon area. We love the 39, but always felt a bit cramped when cooking or even just moving around. It seems the 40 eliminates these issues which is great.

As far as the comments regarding the pass through - its a minor convenience that we really haven't used much on all our charters. With it being such a small boat, one doesn't need to go far to get stuff from the galley to the aft seating area.

As commented as well, I'm not sure of the real benefit to the forward door. From an airflow standpoint, I'm sure it will be great, but clearly there is some space sacrificed - could have had a larger captain's table, more storage (both in and out) so I'm not sure its worth sacrificing those things. Although having been on all the various leopards in past recent years (47, 46, 48, 44 and 58) we did make great use of the forward door on the boats that had it, although we were also sitting out there - although it does make it easier to get to the bow without having to go around outside. Looking forward to trying one out once Moorings gets some in their fleet.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 10:05   #17

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

Quote:
Originally Posted by catabroker View Post
below the polar for the Leopard 40 2015:
I'm sorry for my ignorance.. but, could you explain what that chart is, and what it means?
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 10:31   #18

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
I think there is a HUGE market of people who look for the interior first. Probably more so than those interested in the specs and sailing capability.

Catamarans sail boats are the most efficient boats on the planet.

With the price of oil the way it is, there are a lot of catamaran buyers with families that want a big roomy boat. They have very few reasons to raise the sails on most occasions.

Look around and you will start to see some of these mastless sailing catamarans. Who could blame and older couple that loves there catamaran, but do not care to sail anymore. They are still enjoying a very efficient boat that motors great on just one engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Exuma warderick wells mooring field Trawler Cat.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	346.1 KB
ID:	90093   Click image for larger version

Name:	mastless cat3.jpeg
Views:	296
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	90094  

Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 10:36   #19

Cotemar... there is something SOOO wrong with that...
Old 21-10-2014, 10:39   #20

Boat: Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
I'm sorry for my ignorance.. but, could you explain what that chart is, and what it means?
Scarlett, the graph is called a polar used to represent a sailboats performance under different headings and wind conditions. This link has a good explanation.
indimini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 10:43   #21
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Scarlet, the polar is showing the relative speeds at different wind strengths. It says with the wind at 90 degrees the boat does 8knots in 14 knots of wind with main and jib. The other curved line is using a gennaker. You can compare different models performance by their polars. Personally I think it's best to disregard them as they often overstate performance to sell boats....
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 10:46   #22

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Do not think Mastless Catamaran

Think Private Island that is movable
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 15:45   #23

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by catabroker View Post
below the polar for the Leopard 40 2015:

How can we have polars on a boat that hasn't even been built yet?

I am very excited about this boat though - I LOVE the L39 and it's at the top of my short list. The only drawback is the lack of any navdesk, or a desk at all other than the almost unusable one down in the owner's suite. I would definitely consider this as an alternative.

Two things stick out to me though. Looking at the computer generated photos, the interior is so light that looks like it's been bleached! It looks like they've made that same change to the L44 as well. I much preferred the darker cherry wood interior myself. Hopefully that will still be an option.

Also, this boat is following the same trend of FP and Lagoon, by making everything rectangular; the salon couch, salon table, cockpit table, etc. Rounded corners used to be the norm, and they were safer. Is there a reason for all the square corners other than a modern look? It might be a very slightly more efficient use of space, but I doubt that really makes a difference.
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 16:15   #24

Boat: Niagara 35

What I really don't like about the front door area is that it makes this huge scoop. It looks about as high drag as you could get.

Ventilation and access forward are great, but the Cats with large wind scoops in the front just look like they haven't been thinking too much about windward performance!
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 18:21   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Here's another one

Used 1996 CUSTOM CATAMARAN Boat For Sale - boatsales.com.au

Lost the mast last Christmas!
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 18:23   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
OH NO!!!! MAKE IT STOP!!!
Old 21-10-2014, 18:28   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
How can we have polars on a boat that hasn't even been built yet?
Because they are more correctly called "Velocity Prediction Polars"

They are derived from computer models, not experimental data and should be take with a large grain of salt.

As Lagoon say on their polars "The sea state is never taken into account". IOW, they are not only theoretical, they assume calm seas at 20+ knots
Old 21-10-2014, 18:35   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
Also, this boat is following the same trend of FP and Lagoon, by making everything rectangular; the salon couch, salon table, cockpit table, etc. Rounded corners used to be the norm, and they were safer. Is there a reason for all the square corners other than a modern look? It might be a very slightly more efficient use of space, but I doubt that really makes a difference.
While I agree with you in general about avoiding corners on the fittings, I much prefer rectangular couches. I can't find a relaxed position to prop myself up and read a book with a rounded backrest - I like a nice 90 degree corner to jam into.
Old 03-12-2014, 16:35   #29

Not sure where to post this question, but since people are discussing the pro's and con's of the new leopard 40 i have a question. I realise it is early days regarding the new Leopard 40, but anyway...

What do people think about sailing a 10 year old lagoon 400 vs a 5 year old new generation Leopard 40 on a circumnavigation for a couple of years? What do people think would be a better boat assuming systems and maintenance was up to scratch?

I am thinking it over in my head so much but i can't decide. The lagoon 400 would enable me to sail away 2 years earlier from rough calculations, but i do like the layout of the new leopard. The lagoon seems better for blue water...
Moonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:52   #30

Boat: FP Orana 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonos View Post
Not sure where to post this question, but since people are discussing the pro's and con's of the new leopard 40 i have a question. I realise it is early days regarding the new Leopard 40, but anyway...

What do people think about sailing a 10 year old lagoon 400 vs a 5 year old new generation Leopard 40 on a circumnavigation for a couple of years? What do people think would be a better boat assuming systems and maintenance was up to scratch?

I am thinking it over in my head so much but i can't decide. The lagoon 400 would enable me to sail away 2 years earlier from rough calculations, but i do like the layout of the new leopard. The lagoon seems better for blue water...
Both be fine.

Time is your most valuable asset, so I would go with the Lagoon.
Sail IC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leopard, leopard 40