Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2014, 06:16   #31

Boat: Catana 471
Re: Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by catabroker View Post
4 x under waterlights
Please, please, please - encourage your buyers NOT to get these? Please? They are the bane of secluded anchorages and are just SO "power boat".

2 Hulls Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 16:42   #32

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hulls View Post
Please, please, please - encourage your buyers NOT to get these? Please? They are the bane of secluded anchorages and are just SO "power boat".

2 Hulls Dave
You are a diver? If so very practical. Such lighting can be very useful for night diving in some or the coral reef areas. Having them does not mean the are used all the time.

Useful not powerboat to me.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:22   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Buy a good dive light. Cave divers have excellent lights. Look up www.underwaterlightdude.com or if you want surface illumination there are cheap fishing lights that are car headlights that float with a styrofoam ring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:58   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
You are a diver? If so very practical. Such lighting can be very useful for night diving in some or the coral reef areas. Having them does not mean the are used all the time.

Useful not powerboat to me.
I'm a free diver, but not at night. If these stupid lights help you dive at night, so be it. But I've never seen them used that way. Newer boats that have these things seem to use them only to announce "look at me". Every other cruiser I've been around when these things are seen agrees they are second only in offensiveness in an anchorage to jet skis. And they're usually on when a noisy generator is running.

2 Hulls Dave
Old 05-12-2014, 07:37   #35

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

Quote:
I'm a free diver, but not at night. If these stupid lights help you dive at night, so be it. But I've never seen them used that way. Newer boats that have these things seem to use them only to announce "look at me". Every other cruiser I've been around when these things are seen agrees they are second only in offensiveness in an anchorage to jet skis. And they're usually on when a noisy generator is running.

2 Hulls Dave
Hi 2Hulls...
We are definitely thinking about getting them, however, I am so glad you spoke up about this, so that we know to be respectful whilst using them. I would have never thought about that....
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:21   #36

Boat: 07 Leopard 40 / 93 Hunter 30T

Quote:

2 Hulls Dave
This just goes to show how differant we all are. We dont have underwater lights but have seen them in many anchorages. Never once has it bothered us or anoyed us in fact we like them when we aren't star gazing. What is anoying is your music being so loud I cant hear my own music in my salon or jetskiers using the anchored boats as racing pylons, How about the inconsiderate Rodney Dangerfield powerboaters going by leaving big wakes and wrecking a calm anchorage. Anybody ever find a nice spot in a large empty anchorage only to have the next guy in anchor right next to you? Now thats annoying!
ShaktisBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:45   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
Hi 2Hulls...
We are definitely thinking about getting them, however, I am so glad you spoke up about this, so that we know to be respectful whilst using them. I would have never thought about that....
Well, for sure, to each his own, but why do you want them? To use some of your hard earned power? To have more holes in your hull? Why do you think it's OK to ruin the darkness of an otherwise natural anchorage for everybody else? Why introduce unnatural lighting to the marine creatures?

In some controlled anchorages you are not allowed to have any lights on at night (other than an anchor light) nor make excessive noise due to the impact on marine life. This is the case, for example, if you ever seek permission to anchor overnight at Buck Island Nat'l Monument at St. Croix - which I highly recommend. In some of the National Park mooring fields on St. John overnight moorings are not allowed specifically to avoid any impact from lights.

Frankly, most cruisers eschew these things as unnecessary vanity and on several occasions I've heard VHF requests to "turn those damn stupid blue lights off."

OK, rant off.

2 Hulls Dave
Old 05-12-2014, 11:56   #38

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

Quote:
Well, for sure, to each his own, but why do you want them?

2 Hulls Dave

enjoyment!!!
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leopard, leopard 40