Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 19:40   #1
Marine Service Provider

Leopard 46 destroyed in collision

I heard that a leopard 46 was destroyed in a collision at night , two days ago. Anyone have any details ?
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 19:52   #2

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Re: Leopard 46 destroyed in collision

Where? in mars? more info could be nice ....
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 21:14   #3

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris smith
I heard that a leopard 46 was destroyed in a collision at night , two days ago. Anyone have any details ?
Only google hit, was this post. Amazing how quick google spiders ( crunches data from web sites) forum pages.
Old 05-12-2012, 19:48   #4
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris smith
Only google hit, was this post. Amazing how quick google spiders ( crunches data from web sites) forum pages.

I read a notice from just catamarans which stated that one of their good customers lost his leopard 46 in a devastating collision. The crew were all saved incl the dog because the were we'll prepared but it seems the boat was lost. This happened a few days ago !
Old 05-12-2012, 22:03   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris smith View Post
Quote:

I read a notice from just catamarans which stated that one of their good customers lost his leopard 46 in a devastating collision. The crew were all saved incl the dog because the were we'll prepared but it seems the boat was lost. This happened a few days ago !
Aw come on Chris, will you not please tell us where the collision occurred, when it happened, and what the collision was with.

Or is it a secret? If it's a secret, we PROMISE not to tell...

Jim
Old 06-12-2012, 06:34   #6
Marine Service Provider

Hi Jim . My original post states that this is all the info I have and that I was asking if anyone else had any info.
I posted a simple question to an interesting situation. Take a look at the response I received incl yours.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:08   #7

'No news is good news?'
El_Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:16   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris smith View Post
Hi Jim . My original post states that this is all the info I have and that I was asking if anyone else had any info.
I posted a simple question to an interesting situation. Take a look at the response I received incl yours.
Actually your original post did not state that "this is all the info I have". Then you add additional information about what you know in your next post. I can understand why some could be confused/frustrated by your post.
jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 13:01   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot

Oh Lordy - I took one down to Roatan with a dog the other day and I know the owner was going to be transitting North soon. Glad all plus dog were saved.
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 17:38   #10
Marine Service Provider

Jostalli...

Leopard 46 destroyed in collision

So what is it that confuses people or frustrates them ? I stated that I had heard of a boat that had been destroyed. I then ask if any one has any details ? Why on earth would I ask that if I had the details..?
Old 07-12-2012, 03:42   #11

The dog is safe.

Wayne
El_Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:15   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Guero View Post
The dog is safe.

Wayne
Absolutely news worthy!
joeboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 17:56   #13
Marine Service Provider

Ok ...here is the story

1st March 2013, 05:50 PM
catabroker
Re: Leopard 43 Sinks
Hello Forum,

I checked with the USCG and this was not a Leopard 43, but a 2006 Leopard 46 (hull 005).

This was the second time the yacht was involved in an accident in less than a year. Back in 2011 the yacht hit a reef in the eastern Caribbean but was able to ‘limp’ back to Ft Lauderdale where she was repaired at Lauderdale Marine Center. I don’t know if that was with the same crew or not.

I am quite surprised that the Captain did not feel any impact when they hit ‘something’. If you ever hit the dock while docking at low speed, you feel the whole boat shake, I would expect an impact like this would throw one out of his bunk, or at least the helmsman would notice.

A few years ago another Leopard 46 catamaran went over a reef in Cuba and lost most of both keels / rudders, had a few holes in the bottom but did not go down and managed to sail back to FL for repairs. The pdf file is posted on this forum under "Leopard catamarans"

Below the Captain’s report:

…As delivery captain of the sailing catamaran “Palenque”, we departed Barefoot Cay, Roatan, Honduras, bound for Provodenciales in the Turks and Caicos on Tuesday, 27 November, 2012 at 0600 Local Time (UTC -6). On board were the following crew members:

Dale Cheek, US Passport #
Leonard T, US Passport #
Richard W, US Passport #
Anneli the Seadog, US Canine

At approximately 2345 on 28 Nov, 2012 I was awakened from my bunk by the on-watch crew member, Rick W, who reported that the bilge pump indicator light was remaining ON longer than usual. When I got out of my bunk I immediately saw the cabin sole was awash in both the forward and aft cabins. I awoke the other crew member, Len T, and set him to work on the manual bilge pump. I instructed Rick, at the helm, to move the throttle to NEUTRAL and to come below to assist with the issue. I closed all the below-the-waterline seacocks in the starboard hull. Briefly we used the two shower sumps electric pumps to extract the water, but this proved fruitless. The water level continued to rise. I entered the sea with snorkel gear and underwater flashlight to assess the problem. On the outer side of the starboard hull just forward of the leading edge of the keel, I noticed a large area (approx. 1 sq mtr) of exposed foam coring and obvious sign of heavy impact as seen in the scraped bottom paint. The exposed foam started just below the waterline and extended down to the monolithic laminations at the centerline of the hull.

I exited the water and at approximately 0045 on 29 Nov, 2012 I activated all of our emergency apparatuses which included a 406 MHz EPIRB, a SPOT transender, and a DSC VHF emergency alert. I attempted to call the boat owner on his cell phone by the boat’s satphone, but was unable to connect. I called my roommate in Florida to make initial shore contact. At approximately 0100 I received a satphone call from the Spot Coordination Center verifying the emergency.

We decided to attempt to maneuver the genoa sail over the hull damage. While again snorkeling overboard to effect this, I heard a low flying aircraft overhead at approx. 0155. When the sail maneuver proved unworkable and I exited the water which, by this time, had flooded the starboard engine room and was washing the cockpit. Len reported that the CG had called to verify names and situation. I gave the “prepare to abandon ship” order. At approximately 0230 we, including the dog, abandoned ship for the life raft.

Safely in the raft, we cut the painter connecting us to “Palenque”. By this time she was down heavily by the stern with water flooding the interior. Within 5 minutes more, the deck light was extinguished and we could no longer see her.

Thanks to a waterproof VHF handheld radio, we were able to communicate with the US Navy P3 Orion aircraft overhead and the container vessel “Cap Domingo” which the P3 had instructed to come for us. By 0f400 we all four were safely aboard the “Cap Domingo”.

Captain Dale’s bio can be seen online: http://www.stocksyachtservice.com/wp...Dale_Cheek.pdf

Peter Wiersema, CPYB
Leopard Catamarans new and pre owned

Leopard Catamaran Salesman of the Year 2003 - 2012

Mobile +1 954 260 4913

peterw@yacht.com
Old 02-03-2013, 18:01   #14
Marine Service Provider

I am amazed that it took 3 months for this info to be made public....so much for google spiders , hey gary

Tags
collision, leopard