Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2017, 18:27   #16

Re: New Leopard 40: delivery in Cape Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4A View Post
Being avid kite-surfers, we will certainly enjoy our time in South Africa. The more I think of it, the more I'm convinced this is a unique opportunity.
It seems like am amazing opportunity, definitely one not to be missed. I feel like you might be able to do some shorter passages (to Madagascar?) as a nice shake down before heading off across the Atlantic.
Old 27-08-2017, 18:47   #17

Boat: St. Francis 44 Mk II (Catamaran)
Send a message via Skype™ to SoggyPaws

There is a South Atlantic Crossing group on Facebook, likely find a lot of info about the crossing and the possible stops on that group.

Also, check out s/v Totem's blog. They made the trip about a year ago, in a monohull.

Blog | Sailing Totem

Regarding import duty... no duty or sales tax is due until you actually bring the boat into the U.S. And maybe the USVI is not applicable, you'd have to research that.

But here is the US Customs website:
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...e-into-the-u.s.

I know that when we bring our purchased-overseas catamaran into Florida for more than 3 months, we will have to pay FL Sales Tax on the boat, in addition to the US Customs Duty. There is a limit to how long you can keep a non-FL-registered boat in Florida without registering it in Florida. I don't know about other states. If you plan to leave the boat in the Caribbean or the Bahamas, then the point is moot until you actually bring it into the U.S.

Our boat was Malaysian registered when we bought it. Once we re-documented it with a Florida port with the USCG, our Topsail insurance had to change, because of Florida insurance laws that were seen to be onerous by an overseas company.

Just a few more things to think of! Good luck

Sherry
s/v Soggy Paws, in the Philippines
SoggyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 19:10   #18
B4A

Boat: 2018 Robertson and Caine, Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
Forgot...flag it US right out of the factory before you even leave Cape Town and make sure you get a signed builders certificate and an signed and notarized USCG Bill-of-Sale.
Can you please elaborate a bit more on this, please?
B4A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 19:51   #19

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV
New Leopard 40: delivery in Cape Town

I can't directly speak to Leopard but Voyage typically delivers within a week of launch. Boats built in Cape Town are built so that their first sail is an ocean crossing. I spent two months during checkout cruises on my new boat but it was me that was be checked out, not the boat.
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 20:04   #20
B4A

My other dilemma is if it's better to get the boat fitted with 220v versus 110v. We don't plan to spend much time in the US, so the 220v option seems to be the best one. But according to some, a 220v boat will be harder to resale in the US.

Who knows where we'll be when we'll decide to sell. If everything goes well, probably in Australia?

If you had the option, what would you choose, 110v or 220v?

I'm not an expert, but I think that 220v is also more efficient. For example, I read somewhere that a 1000 watts toaster 110v would draw double the amps than the same 220v toaster...

If this is true, I assume that a 220v system would be easier on the batteries...
Old 27-08-2017, 21:39   #21

Boat: Taswell 43

It really depends on where you intend to cruise. Most of the world uses 230v,3-wire, 50Hz power. The US and a few others do not-they use 110v, 3-wire, 60Hz power. And US 220v power is 4-wire....a whole different issue. Power used is called watts, and is voltage times amps.....the higher the voltage the lower the amps required for the same watts(power). And a lower amp load requires less wire cross-section....ie, thinner wire. The 220v or 110v question is easily resolved by installing a Victron Auto-Sensing Isolation Transformer on your shorepower line. I know, because our boat was built in Asia, for Asia/European power (230v, 3-wire) power, and we're now cruising in the US Caribb. The bigger question, however, is the Frequency (Hz) of your power. Many things, including most electronics, are both 50Hz and 60Hz tolerant. BUT....some things, like aircons, AC-powered watermakers, AC motors, etc usually are not. Once you decide on your boat's power, be sure to spec installed equipment that will accept that frequency(Hz) as well as voltage.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 22:06   #22
B4A

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcrazy View Post
It really depends on where you intend to cruise. Most of the world uses 230v,3-wire, 50Hz power. The US and a few others do not-they use 110v, 3-wire, 60Hz power. And US 220v power is 4-wire....a whole different issue. Power used is called watts, and is voltage times amps.....the higher the voltage the lower the amps required for the same watts(power). And a lower amp load requires less wire cross-section....ie, thinner wire. The 220v or 110v question is easily resolved by installing a Victron Auto-Sensing Isolation Transformer on your shorepower line. I know, because our boat was built in Asia, for Asia/European power (230v, 3-wire) power, and we're now cruising in the US Caribb. The bigger question, however, is the Frequency (Hz) of your power. Many things, including most electronics, are both 50Hz and 60Hz tolerant. BUT....some things, like aircons, AC-powered watermakers, AC motors, etc usually are not. Once you decide on your boat's power, be sure to spec installed equipment that will accept that frequency(Hz) as well as voltage.
Thank you Sailcrazy!

My idea is to install a 12v water maker, it should be fine for only 2 people like us. The big question is the Air Conditioning. I've seen people who are able to run AC out of solar using something called "soft starter". I wonder if that could also be used to run a washing machine.

Ideally, I would want to run everything out of solar and lithium batteries and avoid the installation of a genset. I think this is the future

What do you guys think about not having a genset?
Old 27-08-2017, 22:26   #23

Boat: Taswell 43

Power is power.....and watts are watts. The amp requirement for a 12v-powered "thing" is a way, way higher than the amp requirement via 230vAC. And personally....I like back-ups. We have a genset installed, as well as solar+wind on our 675 amp-hr house battery. Li batteries may be the future.....but based on what I've read so far-they scare me. Expensive, fussy, and the threat of fire is a risk I want to minimize on my boat, after spending a career in commercial aviation. It's not the direction I'd go....at least not yet!
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2017, 00:02   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
It seems like am amazing opportunity, definitely one not to be missed. I feel like you might be able to do some shorter passages (to Madagascar?) as a nice shake down before heading off across the Atlantic.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Heading off across the Atlantic would be far easier than going to Madagascar and back to CT. Think Cape Agulhas, Where The Atlantic meets the Indian Ocean. But, you are right it would be a heck of shake down.

I quote: " The sea off Cape Agulhas is notorious for winter storms and mammoth rouge waves, which can range up to 30 metres (100 ft) high and can sink even large ships. Over the past few hundred years it has been believed that around 150 ships have sunk around Agulhas. "

Last year (2016) the Skipper and I were waiting for the owner/aka Duncan of St. Francis Marine to deliver a new SF50 to Cape Town from St. Francis Bay. This was in July, winter in SA and the delivery had been postponed a few times because of weather. Finally they, Duncan and crew decided to go for it during a lull and cast off for CT. Duncan is a very knowledgeable, experience sailor of many many years but when he finally arrived he could not stop talking about that passage. He said they had winds of over 60 kts and surfed at over 20 on some waves; the highest winds he had ever sailed in. Well, actually they had no sail up at all and pulling no drogues. It was very exciting he said but not for the faint of heart.

Be sure you are ready for some weather if you decide on that.
Old 28-08-2017, 02:57   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4A View Post
Thank you Sailcrazy!

My idea is to install a 12v water maker, it should be fine for only 2 people like us. The big question is the Air Conditioning. I've seen people who are able to run AC out of solar using something called "soft starter". I wonder if that could also be used to run a washing machine.

Ideally, I would want to run everything out of solar and lithium batteries and avoid the installation of a genset. I think this is the future

What do you guys think about not having a genset?
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It's probably a good idea not but if you are going to have A/C , washing machine, water maker, freezer and all the other electronics that you want and need.

In a perfect world where your solar panels were able to receive sun for 8-10 hours a day, I think it would still be lacking. I think that future is not here yet. I'm not giving my perspective by any formulas, cause I don't know any. But, I have been on enough boats that had large area solar panels and they could not keep up with the power needed for the A/C , water maker, reefer and electronics. They had a nice big genset and used it when the solar couldn't keep up.

Also, 40' is a pretty big boat with some long wire runs. You might want to go with a 24v system. Smaller wire, less weight and your 24v appliances (water maker) want use as many amps.

Gotta go, momma called me to dinner.
Old 28-08-2017, 03:42   #26

Boat: Luffe 45

B4A - was down there over the last summer (now I'm in Richards Bay) - was watching the every week delivery from Leopard. You'll find everything down there, even good workmanship for very cool rates. The rigging companies are awesome, and you'll find all type of spars nearby at Paarden Eiland. I was there with a danish boat and found everything I needed. To make a long story short : It's a great place for sailors ! There is guy called Charles - he is genius on engines and mechanics. Also check lifgun.com
lifgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2017, 04:27   #27

Location: Homeport : Port Owen , Cape West Coast , South Africa . Currently cruising .
Boat: SHEARWATER 39.

Unless you are in a major rush to go North you might be losing out on a wonderful opportunity to visit countries like Namibia , Brazil , French Guiana e.t.c. on route to the Caribbean .
We spent two seasons cruising Brazil visiting Argentina while we were there .

After four years of cruising we have met so many boats that in hindsight wished they had spent a lot more time in South Africa visiting game parks and the like and visiting areas in Brazil like Baia da Ilha Grande . As many of these cruisers stated , it is unlikely that you would get a second opportunity unless you are planning a circumnavigation .

One possibility could be to utilize a delivery skipper to get you across the Atlantic and then decide whether you are capable enough to continue on your own from there . Baia da Ilha Grande is definitely the safest cruising grounds we have sailed yet and you can almost daysail the entire Brazilian Coast as you go North .

Check out these options carefully before sailing past and missing out on visiting these beautiful countries .Visit our blog Windward Voyage for more detailed info on these areas .
Old 28-08-2017, 12:11   #28
B4A

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLAN WARD View Post
Unless you are in a major rush to go North you might be losing out on a wonderful opportunity to visit countries like Namibia , Brazil , French Guiana e.t.c. on route to the Caribbean .
We spent two seasons cruising Brazil visiting Argentina while we were there .

After four years of cruising we have met so many boats that in hindsight wished they had spent a lot more time in South Africa visiting game parks and the like and visiting areas in Brazil like Baia da Ilha Grande . As many of these cruisers stated , it is unlikely that you would get a second opportunity unless you are planning a circumnavigation .

One possibility could be to utilize a delivery skipper to get you across the Atlantic and then decide whether you are capable enough to continue on your own from there . Baia da Ilha Grande is definitely the safest cruising grounds we have sailed yet and you can almost daysail the entire Brazilian Coast as you go North .

Check out these options carefully before sailing past and missing out on visiting these beautiful countries .Visit our blog Windward Voyage for more detailed info on these areas .
Thank you Allan! I'll certainly keep this in mind!
Old 28-08-2017, 12:13   #29
B4A

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifgun View Post
B4A - was down there over the last summer (now I'm in Richards Bay) - was watching the every week delivery from Leopard. You'll find everything down there, even good workmanship for very cool rates. The rigging companies are awesome, and you'll find all type of spars nearby at Paarden Eiland. I was there with a danish boat and found everything I needed. To make a long story short : It's a great place for sailors ! There is guy called Charles - he is genius on engines and mechanics. Also check lifgun.com
Thank you Lifgun!!
Old 28-08-2017, 14:58   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
Forgot...flag it US right out of the factory before you even leave Cape Town and make sure you get a signed builders certificate and an signed and notarized USCG Bill-of-Sale.
I helped an owner with a delivery of a Leopard 44 from Cape Town to Brazil. It was a Canadian registered boat, but I believe that he used a similar process.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cape town, delivery, leopard, leopard 40