Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2017, 15:04   #31

Re: New Leopard 40: delivery in Cape Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLAN WARD View Post

One possibility could be to utilize a delivery skipper to get you across the Atlantic and then decide whether you are capable enough to continue on your own from there . Baia da Ilha Grande is definitely the safest cruising grounds we have sailed yet and you can almost daysail the entire Brazilian Coast as you go North .
I flew home from Fernando de Noronha after I had signed the Owner off for the certification that his insurance company wanted (Yachtmaster Offshore).
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2018, 05:34   #32

Hi B4A
Have you ended up purchasing the leopard at capetown? I wonder whether you want to share your experience.
dooleedooroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2018, 12:23   #33

Location: Homeport : Port Owen , Cape West Coast , South Africa . Currently cruising .
Boat: SHEARWATER 39.

Just a quick update.

They are at sea right now as we speak in the early stages of their crossing. It appears everything went according to plan and they enjoyed their South African experience thoroughly. They contracted a delivery skipper who helped them prepare their boat and he as well as his wife are going to complete the crossing with them to Baia da Ilha Grande,Brazil.
They will be stopping off in Luderitz, Namibia and St Helena Island on route to Brazil.

They are the nicest people and l wish them all the best on this wonderful adventure.
Old 17-12-2018, 13:21   #34

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV

I purchased a Voyage 43 in Capetown, built near the Lagoon and launched at Royal Cape Yacht Club, just as the other Cape builders do.

RCYC is an excellent place to learn a new boat. We were at RCYC for three months, commissioning, adding lockers, installing washer/dryer, water maker and air conditioning. Also toured a South Africa, attended weekly wine angel jazz concerts and took Rovos Rail on a game tour.

Amazing experience.

Two more crew joined for the crossing. Not a difficult trip after 2 months of local sailing with pickup crew.

Easy to provision. Delivery skippers friended us and introduced us ti local suppliers who wrapped, labeled and flash froze 50 meals that we stacked in the freezer, lamb, turkey, chicken and lots of bread makings. We baked every other day.

The route took us be St Helena, 3 day stop, Ascension Island, crew got drunk and nearly wouldn’t leave, and several more stops about a week or so apart.

Last crew flew home from Barbados and we continued ti Trinidad for replacement of a failed inverter and blown spinnaker that came from a previous boat and was old at the start.

No real mechanical problems and only very minor crew tension.

Great way to buy a new boat.
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 02:44   #35
B4A

Boat: 2018 Robertson and Caine, Leopard 40

I'm glad to report that we took delivery of the boat in Cape Town last September, crossed the south Atlantic in December/January and after 51 days at see, arrived to Ilha Grande Brazil.

The experience was absolutely fantastic, and I'd like to thank everyone here who has been supportive. Especially one person in this forum, I had the privilege to meet in person in Cape Town..

If you want to learn more about the voyage, you can visit my blog at www.sailingoroboro.com.

Fair winds to everyone!
B4A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:12   #36

B4A, congratulations. What was your route over the 51 days? Did you visit locations between Cape Town and Brazil?

Edited: I went to your website and got the answer. Looks like a fantastic trip and something I NEED to do.
Go Wildcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 19:19   #37
B4A

Boat: 2018 Robertson and Caine, Leopard 40

Here is my track across the ocean and excerpt from the logbook: https://sailingoroboro.com/2019/02/1...tlantic-ocean/
B4A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 04:14   #38

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV

We stopped at St. Helens (excellent) and Ascension islands. Neither have Marinas, provisions, or good Anchorage’s.
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cape town, delivery, leopard, leopard 40