Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2010, 11:43   #166

Boat: Nordhavn 5740
seems that there are some people who are threatened and/or are angry at multihull owners. don't know why.

we sailed our new Voyage 50 from SA to the BVIs this winter. Yes, it was a nice downwind sail of 41 days including stops at St Helena and Ascension Islands. Our crew then jumped on a Leopard 46 in St Martin and sailed it back to SA in 44 days including three stops. Not to big a difference between going downwind or upwind. He e-mailed me "Well things are sort of back to normal here in Cape Town. I made it back to Cape Town in 44 days including 3 short stops...pretty good trip.". So, it can be done.
gbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:34   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Lighten Up Roc, when I read your posts I'm reminded of Dirty Harry, "Your a Legend in Your Own Mind"
quite possibly! I do enjoy starring in the theatre of my own mind But then again...
Roc Chambeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:50   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
Yes, that is the correct usage for the word "unwarranted" Mr. Chambeau, not as in your "unwarranted support". As an actual long-term owner of a Leopard 42 who has sailed her and sister ships in a wide variety of locations (Australia, Seychelles, Eastern and Western Caribbean) and conditions, I certainly differ with your opinions.

This winter I sailed from Honduras to Panama and transited the canal on a friends 46' Morgan Ketch. I then returned to Honduras to cruise my Leopard 42 (purchased new in 2003 and phased-out from charter in 2008) north through the Bay Islands, Belize and Mexico. Once again, I found my Leopard to be much more comfortable in virtually all conditions, and that includes upwind in 30 kts and 6-8' seas. Of course there is some slamming on a multihull in such conditions, but that was nothing compared to the miserable rolling of the ketch in light winds or at anchor in unsettled seas. Speed, space, livability, comfort, stability and seaworthiness are what I love about this particular model Leopard.

This was our second season of cruising in the Western Caribbean after our post-charter upgrades. The new watermaker, wind turbine, radar, SSB, upgraded ground tackle, washing machine, electric head, reinforced dinghy davits and numerous safety items (all self-installed) have made our boat even more comfortable and seaworthy. I have just hauled her again for hurricane season storage, and a thorough inspection show no structural or fiberglass issues whatsoever. The repairs done at phase-out to correct charter abuse have held up quite well.

Cruising provides one with the opportunity to see a wide variety of boats in use and talk with many experienced owners. All boats have their strong and weak points, and all sailors have their opinions. I return to this forum for information and informed advice, and will take issue with unwarranted criticism when it hits close to home.
Dang, a washing machine on a 42? Groovy. Why not go all the way with a bow thruster? Do you have a captain's hat too? Just kiddin' ya.... I've owned a 50' cat for 7 years now and love it. (just passed 20,000 logged miles in The Bahamas) I do enjoy, however, ribbing the SA cats and their builderrrrs/owners. Hey, ya like what ya like.
Roc Chambeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2010, 04:03   #169

Boat: Leopard 46 Catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to CatCaptain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erikte View Post
Hi,

Have anybody bought a Leopard lately, of any size and can tell anything about actual sales price at the moment?

Sales price vs listing price??

Best wishes
Erik
Hi Erik
We bought a Leopard 46 owners version brand new and tok delivery late in 2007. We are sailing in the Med and are overthrilled with the boat. Its comfortable in all situations, it sails fast, sharp and easy. Workmanshp is excelent and layout and functionality is clearly based on real life experience design. We have done minor changes (saltwaterpray on aft deck fix, more electric poweroutlets, wind generator and solarpanel, more comfortable cockpit cushins and noise insulations of enginerooms)
We paid the listprice for it pluss the extensive addonlist. Still it is the best value for money cat in my humble opinion.
We are never going to sell her but are planing to spend another 10+ years cruising the world.

Do your own choises, but base them on experience.
Steinar
CatCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 16:23   #170

Re: R&C Leopard 38 - 45 - 47

The Admiral was really taken with the Leopard 44 at the Annapolis Boat show this weekend.

I'm a little concerned by the bridgedeck clearance, but also the lack of a nav station in the salon.

Anyone have thoughts on either?
Old 10-10-2011, 16:55   #171

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmort View Post
The Admiral was really taken with the Leopard 44 at the Annapolis Boat show this weekend.

I'm a little concerned by the bridgedeck clearance, but also the lack of a nav station in the salon.

Anyone have thoughts on either?
We liked the 44 as well. Then again, we also like the 46 and 39

I personally wasn't concerned with the lack of a Nav station, but our time aboard has been just a week at a time chartering. It was nice having the area on the 46, but I just set my laptop up there. For that I'd just use the desk in the owners cabin.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 17:03   #172

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelkirkWind View Post
Ok, now that's an intriguing statement. What did you find that had a better layout than the Leopard 46? I would be interested to know what you were specifically looking for.
I couldn't agree more. We were at Annapolis this weekend and looked at as many Cat's as we could. While we liked many things about other models, the Leopard still is our favorite. Regardless of the model (39, 44 or 46), they all have great layouts. Some of the other Cats felt unnecessarily cramped. And the helm on the Leopard's are my favorite as well. I like the visibility and protection they give - hard top is a must in my opinion.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leopard, ramp