Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2008, 11:22   #91

Leopard 40 report and Bridgedeck clearances

Billgow, Thanks, very interesting reading of the 'True Star Testimonial' regarding the Leopard 40, it appears that an earlier report about the rudders being not very effective were changed on newer models, does anyone know when R&C changed the rudders and also the same for the davits.

Mongo, See below info from moorings via Gino Morelli on bridgedeck clearance and also beam waterline to hull waterline ratio.
Beam waterline length ratio of L40 is approximately:

11.77m lenght waterline / 1.19 m wide hull = 9.89:1 at full load displacement or about 10:1 depending on water, fuel, store levels etc.

Underwing clearance:

Essentially we tried to have the same clearance fore and aft with no bumps or protruding features. The underwing is essentially level to the waterline from the mast to the transom when in perfect trim, The clearance from the waterline to the bottom of the underwing at the mast is 680mm (26.77inches) The underwing at the aft end of the underwing is the same, 680mm (26.77inches). In reality the boat trims stern down a bit due to weight loadings,dinghys on the stern or not, etc. So the fwd underwing clearance might go up an inch and the stern goes down an inch. This clearance is at 100% displacement which means full of water, fuel, dinghy, normal equipment, provisions for a week, 5 people...

Hope this helps.
Ian
ireaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 12:21   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAIRWIND View Post
I have first hand information that the ARC boats have entered the Cape Town to Bahia race January 2009. A separate race was devised for cruisers. The cruisers sails to St. Helena Island with, I think, a week stopover before finishing in Bahia. As far as I know 6 catamarans from Cape Town has already entered due to this change and we might see some more. Would be interesting to see how different the cats will fare and I suspect in the cruising class a few arguments about catamarans vs. monohulls might be settled as this is no mickey mouse race.
Keep us up to date! This sounds interesting. Are there 6 additional cats joining the race or 6 total?
billgow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 12:24   #93

Boat: 2 boats, 900 Viknes, 1055 RSA, going for Multihull soon
Send a message via MSN to Erikte
Bridgedeck clearances - for the leopard 38, 45 and 47 do some have the report/info on these?

Thanks for all good input, fantastic reading
Old 18-08-2008, 12:45   #94

Has anyone bought a used charter catamaran from Moorings or simular company?

And the bridgedeck clearances questions...
freetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 14:12   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetime View Post
Has anyone bought a used charter catamaran from Moorings or simular company?

And the bridgedeck clearances questions...
If you can't get an answer here check out the Leopard Cat Group. I think almost all those guys bought from Moorings. Very informative.
billgow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 15:01   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgow View Post
If you can't get an answer here check out the Leopard Cat Group. I think almost all those guys bought from Moorings. Very informative.
Thanks, for the link. I had to sign up.

I think i should buy a little smaller and older boat as my first catamaran, but a boat that can handle blue water sailing. And live aboard for a couple of mounths. And after a time i know what i want... And the Leopards looks very nice in price if you compare to a lagoon, f-p or simular. If you take a look at www.moorings.com and used yachts.
Old 19-08-2008, 06:47   #97

Hi freetime,

I have am also wondering about a smaller (then 47) boat for my first cat. And at the top of the list is now Leopard 38. Do to price and performances. A question for use up here in the top of Europa is how to cope with the cold. And there the AC with heater (or reversed) would be a nice option if it was already installed. As far as I have seen the only boats in the Leopard range that has that is from 40th and up. So the question is how difficult and expensive will it be to have it fitted with 2 units and maybe small generator as well......

Or will it be so expensive that a 45/47 is not far from it....
Old 19-08-2008, 06:57   #98
jzk

What about a small diesel heater like webasto? If you look at the Leopard 38s on Yachtworld, many have generators and AC. I wonder about how much this affects the carrying capacity of the boat, as it already seems as if much is crammed into a small area compared to other 38s (which also makes it desirable). A diesel heater will be much more efficient than will an AC unit producing heat and will weigh much less.
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 07:00   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erikte View Post
Hi freetime,

I have am also wondering about a smaller (then 47) boat for my first cat. And at the top of the list is now Leopard 38. Do to price and performances. A question for use up here in the top of Europa is how to cope with the cold. And there the AC with heater (or reversed) would be a nice option if it was already installed. As far as I have seen the only boats in the Leopard range that has that is from 40th and up. So the question is how difficult and expensive will it be to have it fitted with 2 units and maybe small generator as well......

Charter Yacht Brokerage (Ft. Lauderdale, FL)=

www.moorings.com you have many ex charter And private owned leopards. And IF a boat have AC you can always drive it backwards if i understand right. You only need to change some small thing. I can check it up...Working with economic and one of ouer customer have Air condition company....they talked so much about it so i canīt remember 10%.
The Leopard 38 have shaft drive and if a boat is little older that must be good?!

On all ex. charterboats you have MANY hour on the engines is my opt.
Old 19-08-2008, 07:24   #100

Boat: Leopard 46 Cat "Tulliana"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erikte View Post
Hi freetime,

Reverse cycle AC will not work in the temperatures you are talking about up there. You also have to remember that these boats are built for the tropics so insulation is not so important.
If I were you I would cost in having to insulate as much as possible and fit either a Webasto or Eberspacher heating system.
Adaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 07:27   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaero View Post
Reverse cycle AC will not work in the temperatures you are talking about up there. You also have to remember that these boats are built for the tropics so insulation is not so important.
If I were you I would cost in having to insulate as much as possible and fit either a Webasto or Eberspacher heating system.
Is the bathrooms moulded together with the hull, or can you remove 1-2 bathrooms...
Old 19-08-2008, 07:29   #102
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Quote:
Originally Posted by freetime View Post
Charter Yacht Brokerage (Ft. Lauderdale, FL)=

www.moorings.com you have many ex charter And private owned leopards. And IF a boat have AC you can always drive it backwards if i understand right. You only need to change some small thing. I can check it up...Working with economic and one of ouer customer have Air condition company....they talked so much about it so i canīt remember 10%.
The Leopard 38 have shaft drive and if a boat is little older that must be good?!

On all ex. charterboats you have MANY hour on the engines is my opt.
Reversed cycle heating will work well until the water temperature hits 13 to 14 degrees C.
after that it is push ups that will keep you want or a diesel heater .

Greetings
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 07:40   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat435 View Post
Reversed cycle heating will work well until the water temperature hits 13 to 14 degrees C.
after that it is push ups that will keep you want or a diesel heater .

Greetings
Thats mean it works great in Erikteīs hometown? Itīs around 5,5-6 degrees in the water right now?
Old 19-08-2008, 10:10   #104

Boat: FP Tobago 35
If your AC system is water cooled,it will work down to just above zero, shouldn't be a problem. Efficiency factors depend on the refrigerant used, typically compression factors above 1:7 are not reccomended, so you need to look at the temperatures you will be running at and the refrigerant you are using. at some point the efficiency gets down to 1.0, so you might as well just run an electric heater.

If you have a generator on board, then just set up the cooling system to heat the cabins. Not the most efficient, but use that, and add an electric heater unit to the water system to load the generator.

Without a generator, you can use the air based systems mentioned above, I prefer Mikuni like many trucks also use. These are OK, but go as far up in power as possible. My 4 kW unit has a tough time on a 35 ft cat at 5 degrees.

Best would be a water based system with a proper heater unit.

All this stuff adds weight to a probably already too heavy boat, but comfort is more important when it's cold.

Alan
Nordic cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 11:30   #105

If the AC is efficient in 5-8 Celsius water then all is ok, depending on the output then. Do anybody know what a BTU 10.000 and BTU 16.000 unit will deliver in watt (heat) with 6 celsius water. We have both Mikuni and webasto on ours boats today, light weight compare to efficient. But if there is a working AC that delivers enough then use that since it is there with plumbing and ducts.

Concerning insulating many boats up here is not much extra insulation just the "glass fiber" and max 1-5 mm foam with leather imitator (skai in Norwegian). We have on our 30 feet boat a Mikuni 4 kw and it is good enough for - 10 degrees and much wind.

Tags
leopard, ramp