Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2009, 08:03   #121

Boat: Leopard 40 catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to c.spots
Sorry I missed this great link, but I have been too busy cruising the US east coast as far as Maine since March 2008 on a new Leopard 40. Most of the travel has been via the ICW, so was largely motoring (or motorsailing). Annapolis, MD to Newport, RI was singlehanded. I just recently installed a watermaker, and solar panels, with information and links to numerous photos on my website (www.changingspots.net).
Of course I have several comments and observations.
  • From a vessel perspective, installations are simple, since wires and plumbing is well laid out and labeled. Lots of conduits make running lines and plumbing a breeze. I would hate to think about doing a major installation any distance from a well stocked marine supply store.
  • A watermaker doesn’t add, but decreases weight since you can cut 800 # by only carrying 100 rather than 200 gallons of water. (My boat is very heavily loaded.)
  • Sorry I haven’t sailed against any cats, but can easily, comfortably reel in the monohulls on a reach.
  • The gennaker will tremendously improve your downwind speed in light air, but my ideal cruising sail addition would be a screacher for light wind sailing instead (better upwind). If I can figure out where to store it, I may also get a chicken chute. This is a small, heavy weight, symmetrical spinnaker for downwind sailing. Just set it and forget it - don’t bother with the main, don’t worry about gybing.
  • Cruising with one engine works fine, with the fuel saving mentioned, but also cutting your engine maintenance in half. Even with two engines, it is sometimes difficult to maneuver in a strong cross wind.
  • The mainsail is very heavy, and even with 2 to 1 purchase, I strongly recommend getting one electric winch. Sail handling (except gennaker and reefing) is easy and all from the cockpit.
  • Hoisting anchor in wind has been the most difficult part of singlehanding. Thanks for the suggestion to hoist the main first (if not in a crowded anchorage). I also have a remote anchor switch at the helm, and a timer. 34 seconds is 50 feet.
  • I have yet to experience bothersome bridgedeck pounding. Yes the hulls pound, like in a monohull. I suspect there is a lot more to bridgedeck pounding (beam, hull shape?) than clearance.
  • Yes, I have had problems with the boat, although she is new. However, R&C has stood by to make sure they were taken care of. I have heard that with some companies, the warranty expires once your check has cleared – and they are the ones still in business.
  • Even with the cabin temperature at 40 deg, you can quickly take the chill off by running just one reverse A/C unit. One forum suggested putting foil lined bubble insulation in the headliner, which would be easy to do since the liners are so easy to remove. There has been sweating, but it has been mainly on the windows and aluminum hatches.
  • The hatches in the salon (saloon after 5 PM) are way too small for good ventilation. I have made wind scoops which help (and can’t wait for it to warm up enough to try them again).

Rob Watson
www.changingspots.net

Life shouldn't be a race to the finish line - enjoy the journey.
c.spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:19   #122

Hello Rob,

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.spots View Post

A watermaker
Which one did you choose and how is it working?

Quote:
The gennaker will tremendously improve your downwind speed in light air, but my ideal cruising sail addition would be a screacher for light wind sailing instead (better upwind). If I can figure out where to store it, I may also get a chicken chute. This is a small, heavy weight, symmetrical spinnaker for downwind sailing. Just set it and forget it - don’t bother with the main, don’t worry about gybing.
Have you given any thought to a bowsprit? There are a couple ideas here;
Leopard 46' with racing stripes - Multihulls4us Forums

I'd like to know more about your experiences rigging for light wind.
billgow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:17   #123

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
I've chartered the 47 twice from the Moorings. The lazy jacks could be a pain when raising the mainsail, other than that we were very pleased.

The moorings showed a new 46 ? ( I think ) iin Annapolis this year. Not sure of the builder. They claimed that some of the changes made to this new boat dealt with all the comments they had received over the years from charterers.

One feature that I like was that the berths were lower, you didn't have to " climb" up into them. The hard top was nice. A few other features that I can't recall now seemed improved. I'm not sure if I liked the new helm station, as it kept the Pilot away from the crew.
Tempest245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 16:36   #124

Bill Gow
I got the Spectra Cape Horn for several reasons, and it seems to work fine although there are a few minor installation issues I am working with Spectra about.
Don't need a sprit for the gennaker, but would for a screacher.
I am still a bit intimidated by the size of the gennaker, but the biggest problem is getting it out of the locker. When I first flew it, the boat speed went from 3 to 6 kts. When the wind picked up we took it down at 10 kts boat speed when we realized we were going to arrive at the channel entrance at 8 PM instead of 8 AM.
With my F27 I had very small, lightweight sheets that the sail could lift in even light winds, but I only used them for racing. It got a little tricky when the wind picked up. I also sometimes used a spinnaker pole (symmetrical spinnaker) in light winds with a chop, to stabilize the tack and not spill all the wind out of the sail.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:16   #125

Quote:
Bill Gow
Don't need a sprit for the gennaker, but would for a screacher.
I am still a bit intimidated by the size of the gennaker, but the biggest problem is getting it out of the locker. When I first flew it, the boat speed went from 3 to 6 kts. When the wind picked up we took it down at 10 kts boat speed when we realized we were going to arrive at the channel entrance at 8 PM instead of 8 AM.
With my F27 I had very small, lightweight sheets that the sail could lift in even light winds, but I only used them for racing. It got a little tricky when the wind picked up. I also sometimes used a spinnaker pole (symmetrical spinnaker) in light winds with a chop, to stabilize the tack and not spill all the wind out of the sail.
Being a Farrier driver, you have a background in high performance sailing so I'd be interested to see where this takes you in your decisions about changes in sailplan. Light air performance is a concern of mine so I'd be interested in discussing this further.

I like the idea of a retractable bowsprit with double furling/reefing rigs for a genoa/screacher/asymmetric and a standard jib/staysail. I've been through the spinnaker business on race boats but don't want to go through that shorthanded on a cruiser.

What size is your genny?

We've had some great input from other owners here. Hopefully, they're still around and willing to share their experiences.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:01   #126

I have the factory option genoa and gennaker. The latter was actually a reasonably priced option.
At this point I don't plan any racing, nor having full crew often, but only one or two people. Fingertip responsive F27 steering and acceleration bursts are quite different to a cruiser with wheel steering. I got quite comfortable singlehanding the spinnaker (with a sock) on the F27. A screacher with roller furler on a sprit is more than I can afford now, not to mention stow. It would allow better upwind performance in light air, but wouldn't be as good downwind as the gennaker.
My understanding is that the gennaker has a better upwind angle than a regular A sail, so is not an unreasonable compromise for a cruiser. Lightweight sheets are a simple addition for very lightwind sailing, just make sure your cleats and self tailing winches can handle them and make sure to switch them back as soon as the wind picks up. They are strong enough but very hard on the hands.
A small sprit might help the gennaker somewhat, especially in rolly seas, light wind, but is probably not worth the cost and complexity except for a screacher. Can't imagine what carrying a genoa while also a gennaker on a sprit would do to the helm, if it would even fly. Double headstays, an inner forestay, or a retractable sprit would need a lot of re-engineering.
For me, a chicken chute is a more likely addition (used?) but for heavier wind.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:39   #127

Quote:
Lightweight sheets are a simple addition for very lightwind sailing, just make sure your cleats and self tailing winches can handle them and make sure to switch them back as soon as the wind picks up. They are strong enough but very hard on the hands.
Maybe that's what I should be thinking about. In the beginning of this thread, I mentioned my interest in these cats is as a fishing platform. My target species will be marlin and sailfish. You may have seen me mention this on the LeopardCat e-mail group as well. I'm trying to come up with a rig that will move well in light winds but still be very simple to handle. The minimum speed for marlin lures is in the 6 knot range. Winds in the Sea of Cortez are generally pretty light. It's not unusual to see 5 to 10 knot air for days on end. I don't want to troll with motors. Once hooked up, I may have to drop the sails quickly so I don't want to hassle with a spinnaker.

Have you decided which way you'll be cruising after leaving the Caribbean?

My suggestion is head west and let me know your thoughts about sailing the eastern Pacific..
Old 04-01-2009, 16:00   #128

Bill
A spinnaker/gennaker in light winds, is easy to "park" for a while if you have a snuffer. Just remember to tie it down so the wind doesn't pull it up in a puff. Don't use the main or you'll need to head into the wind to get the sail down when you get a fish.
We'll be getting a late start in the Carib so are thinking about a second season after next summer somewhere south. After Guatemala, on the Panama canal, Galapagos and then?

Old 09-01-2009, 17:23   #129

Quote:
A spinnaker/gennaker in light winds, is easy to "park" for a while if you have a snuffer.
If I can get away with just that, I certainly will.

Quote:
We'll be getting a late start in the Carib so are thinking about a second season after next summer somewhere south. After Guatemala, on the Panama canal, Galapagos and then?
Just a second? Ya got a brand new boat, wear it out and keep telling us about it...
Old 09-01-2009, 17:26   #130

I know the heading says "Leopard 38, 45 and 47" but does anyone have any experience with the 43? Is just a slightly longer 42 with a hard top? Are the diesels underpowered at 29 hp?
Old 15-01-2009, 23:23   #131

Boat: Leopard 42 - JAMU
Leopard 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgow View Post
I know the heading says "Leopard 38, 45 and 47" but does anyone have any experience with the 43? Is just a slightly longer 42 with a hard top? Are the diesels underpowered at 29 hp?
I own a Leopard 42, JAMU (now phased out of charter and in private use), and have chartered several 43's. We are currently aboard in Rio Dulce, Guatemala, installing a few upgrades (watermaker) and preparing to cruise the Western Carib.

The improvements on the 43 are the hard top (excellent for access to the mainsail as well as weather protection), the dinghy davits (after R&C replaced the original defective ones) and the front opening refrigerator. What I like less on the 43 are the lower HP engines (but still adequate) and the traveller line-puller (an ergonomic nightmare) that replaced a decent winch arrangement. Both are great boats.

I've opted for a heavy dinghy (APEX 11 ft with center console and 'permanently' mounted 15 hp Merc) and want to beef up my dinghy davit while adding a structure over it for mounting solar panels. I will also reinforce my bimini frame to provide a walkway for access to the mainsail. I'd be very interested in hearing from anyone who has made similar modifications to a Leopard 42, 45 or 47.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2009, 22:39   #132

I just found a Leopard owner with the same agenda as my own. It’s a charter operator in the Seychelles.

Their website is Yacht Charter Seychelles - Elegant Yachting

That thing looks like a ton and a half of fun!
Old 02-02-2009, 11:26   #133

looking for an older 47' to out a wing sail on
fixed wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:53   #134

Hello there,

I'm new to this forum and I come from Holland
I'm surching the internet for this one suitable leopard 47.
In my modest opinion is is the best deal considering it's price versus ......
But, doas anybody know where you cab buy and what the cost are for an hardtop bimini, as well as where you cab get options for the Leopard 47.

Also, because almost all the used Leopards come out of the moorings fleet can anyone tell, where to be carefull for.
For example delanination problems

what are the costs of;

Replacing the engine's
Replacing the Generator
Replacing sails
Hull repairs
etc. etc.

with kind regards and thanks,

Erwin Koks from Holland
erwinkoks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 20:48   #135

Boat: Leopard 45, 45 feet, Jet Stream
Send a message via Skype™ to Tim Schaaf
BVI Painters, at Nanny Cay Boatyard, Tortola, BVI does the Hard top. There are plusses and minuses to this modification. I think someone down island does them, too. Last I heard, it was around $15,000 at BVI painters, more or less, depending upon options, side curtains, etc. etc.

Doyle Offshore in Barbados will give a great deal on new sails.....I think that Quantum may do the same, but we got ours from Doyle

Hull repairs depends on what repair.

Replacing the Generator depends on what type of generator. You can replace with a Northern Lights 9KW for about $15,000, using Marine Maintenance, also at Nanny Cay. We put in a NorPro in Puerto Rico for about two thirds of that.

Don't know the price of new Yanmars, but a direct replacement should not cost too much in labor. The engines come in and out without too much fuss for that type of job.

I understand that one person on this site has had delamination problems, and I know of one other boat with the same thing, but the hulls are generally strong and very well built. Of course, if a particular boat has hit something, all bets are off.

Windows and hatches often leak, and are not always easy to repair. But it is probably the systems that need the most checking, such as the Airconditioners and refrigeration, etc.

Good luck,
Tim
Tim Schaaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leopard, ramp