Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2022, 14:26   #16

Boat: Alberg 35
Re: 1963 Pearson Alberg 35

Hi JohnnyChristo,
Yes, Querida is still for sale.
Svquerida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2022, 07:52   #17

I sail hull #273. Definitely some nice touches on this boat! What size are the port lights you installed? Was thinking of doing something similar, as well as adding a small opening hatch over the saloon.

Someone will have a solid, safe, and beautiful cruiser out of this boat!
Linesledaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2022, 12:11   #18

Thanks Linesledaft for the compliments for Querida. She’s hull #40.
I’d thought about the hatch over the cabin but just opted to sand thru the gel coat and varnish it to get light belowdecks over the head. The hatch in the cabin sounds like it would be good for getting air in and heat out!
I got 7x15 ss port lights from New Found Metals in Port Townsend Washington and I’m glad I did. I took the old dead lights out and glassed the cabin sides solid so I could cut the right size holes for the new ones.
Oh, I removed the overhead liner well prior to that it worked out well for me.
Good luck with the project and many happy days of sailing to you!
Old 22-07-2022, 17:40   #19

I owned hull #66, a 1962. Did a lot of modifications for long range cruising. Pretty much everything you could do to it in the early 1990s. Sailed it fairly extensively. Bahamas Caribbean. Yes, seaworthy and sea kindly boat is most conditions. We also had a monitor vane gear that worked well with the boat. The only negative is when beating into short seas she tends to hobby horse. All the the old CCA designs did that. Looks like you have done a nice job on her. What is her power?

Good luck with the sale / sail.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2022, 18:52   #20

Thanks merrydolphin, you’re right about the hobby-horsing in short steep seas and also in a bumpy anchorage. Querida tends to hunt back and forth anchored in windy conditions unless snubbed back to a sheet winch or something. I try to minimize the hobby horsing by keeping weight low and centered but there’s only so much you can do with those overhangs. Nice tho when she heels over 10 or 15 degrees and stretches out and tracks.
Old 22-07-2022, 19:28   #21

Sorry Merrydolphin, I forgot that asked about Querida’s power. I put a Westerbeke 20Btwo in on black locust stringers. A three cylinder Yanmar would probably be smoother but this engine seems to work well.
Old 22-07-2022, 20:03   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svquerida View Post
Sorry Merrydolphin, I forgot that asked about Querida’s power. I put a Westerbeke 20Btwo in on black locust stringers. A three cylinder Yanmar would probably be smoother but this engine seems to work well.
Yes, I installed a brand new Yanmar HM 35F. A wonderful change she had a Ferryman 20. With the yanmar she would literally squat! Could motor 7+kts!
And what a sweet riding and sailing boat out on the open sea. Also very secure almost any passage. Although a bit wet, very sweet. And definitely extremely well built. This was proven by hurricane Andrew in Miami. Cat 5 and in excess of 200kts. She was run over by a 110 foot steel barge that went sideways through the marina and ended up accross the street (The barge). She was trounced into the bottom by the barge but stayed completely whole. Other boats were pulverized but not the Alberg! We raised her and was all in one piece with no serious damage. The National Guard kept us away for nearly a month so she was totaled because of staying under so long. ( they were pulling out bodies). Some of those that stayed aboard. No boat is worth it. You don’t mess with Cat 5+! But non the less it came up WHOLE. The other boats that went through the same thing were smashed to pieces. What a test! Tough boat. A good number of these have crossed oceans and circumnavigated.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2022, 20:44   #23

What a nightmare it would be to see your boat in an anchorage full of boats smashed to bits by a Cat 5 hurricane!
Especially hard knowing some people refused to leave their boats and there’s nothing that can be done.
Amazing your boat came up whole!
I have been very lucky.

Tags
alberg, alberg 35, pearson