Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2024, 02:03   #1

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
1979 Pearson 365

Sloop du Jour
I am selling my 1979 Pearson 365. I have been refitting her for the last two years to go back to cruising. Due to ongoing health issues, it is time to hand “Sloop du Jour” over to someone else.
Here is a list of her inventory…
The Boat:
-Slutter Rig (A sloop with an optional, self-tending inner forestay and sail.
-New Alternator and new spare.
-New raw water intake for the engine.
-Two, Renogy 100 watt solar panels on articulating rail mounts.
-Renogy MPPT solar charger.
-New Pressure water pump.
-All new pressure water lines and fittings and valves.
-Walk in Shower with grey water pump.
-New drinking water filtration system.
-1-1/2 In. Sani/Flex Odor Shield Sanitation
-New 1-1/2 In. Sani/Flex No Odor Sanitation line for head.
-New/never used 44lbs Rocna anchor.
-New/never used Maxwell Vertical Windlass
-Force 10 (3 burner w oven) all new upgraded burners.
-New/never used Cold Machine Refrigeration.
-Icom 718 Ham Radio
-Icom Antenna Tuner.
-All new Bilge Pump System (Rule 4000).
-All sails in excellent condition.
-Semi Symmetrical Spinnaker (almost new).
-New Batteries (1@#27)(2@#31).
The Wllliam Shaw-designed 365 is very roomy (actually UNBELIEVABLY roomy for a 36-footer from the late 1970s!) aft cockpit ketch with modified fin keel, semi-skeg hung rudder and an interior that shows much newer than actual age. Built in the US (back east in Rhode Island) to the high standards Pearson is known for (the fit & finish is BEAUTIFUL and all the woods are SOLID!), this particular example is in outstanding condition inside and out, and really must be seen to be appreciated.

Bill Shaw designed Pearson 365 is a favorite among cruisers. Her keel stepped rig, skeg mounted rudder, and voluminous interior (with separate shower stall) provide the right ingredients for a very successful cruising boat.
LOA 36.42"
LWL 30'
Beam 11.42'
Displacement 17,700lbs
Ballast 7,300 pounds
Draft 4.50"
Designer William Shaw
Lewmar winches
Autopilot Bonmar

Builder Pearson Yacht (USA)
Westerbeke 40 hp
Fuel 50 gallons
Water 150 gallons

From the designer, Bill Shaw
The 365 is my personal idea of what a boat should be. Oh, I like to race and, in fact, like to think that I've got a few more good ones in me. But my real delight comes from skiing (surprised?) and lazy cruising the waters of New England.
Having put a reasonable number of lighthouses astern in boats from 24' to 72', I have come to the conclusion that the absolute ideal lies between 35' and 38'. And since our kids have either grown into other pastimes or taken up contact sports (hockey), the boat must be something Beth and I can sail alone or in company with a few good friends. It should be tradtional and stable, easy on the helm, with good tracking ability. Big, but not overpowering,and sensible in terms of cost.
36' provides the designer with room to maneuver. Bigger provides luxury.
Smaller throws up some obstacles that have to be overcome by adjusting the ideal size of something, leaving it out or sacrificing the appearance of the boat. What this means is that at this size I can put absolutely everything in the boat that I want and not get into a this or that situation. The split rig makes shortening sail a cinch; the bulwarks make wandering around on deck more comfortable; the fully enclosed shower provides all kinds of niceties; the navigation center lets me play with time, speed, distance, charts, and electronics while someone else drives; and the U-shaped galley aft close to a big cockpit encourages conversation underway when Beth is fussin' around with the food and I'm half-asleep at the wheel. The galley, buy the way, is important. It should be super-efficient and an area in which the chef feels comfortable both underway and swinging on the hook.
My years of racing have left me with a competitive spirit that won't quit. So the 365 is not a slow boat. I've always felt that I've got just as much right to get to my favorite watering hole as my friends in their racing machines. Sure, they may rate better, but who's concerned with rating when cruising? It's speed over the bottom that counts. So the 365 is efficient and quick. Who wants to be the last one to crack ice?
If this leads you to believe that I designed the 365 for myself, you're absolutely right. She's all I personally want in a boat. I hope you will feel the same way.

Hull Type: Fin with rudder on skeg
Rigging Type: Masthead Sloop
LOA: 36.42 ft / 11.10 m
LWL: 30.00 ft / 9.14 m
S.A. (reported): 570.00 ft² / 52.95 m²
Beam: 11.42 ft / 3.48 m
Displacement: 17,700.00 lb / 8,029 kg
Ballast: 7,300.00 lb / 3,311 kg
Max Draft: 4.50 ft / 1.37 m
Construction: FG
Ballast Type: Lead
First Built: 1976
Last Built: 1982
Builder: Pearson Yachts (USA)
Designer: William Shaw
Between 1976 and 1982, Pearson Yachts built 405 Pearson 365s. Although a few were sloops, cutters or pilothouse models, the vast majority were designed with ketch rigs.
First impressions
Traditional lines, solid construction, roomy 8-foot-long cockpit and walk-around decks are what come to mind when a Pearson 365 pulls alongside the dock. The bow is prettier than the stern, which has the chopped off appearance typical of the late 1970s.
With the exception of toerail, handrails and coamings, there isn't a lot of wood trim on deck. The boat is beamy, suggesting plenty of interior space. The masts aren't too tall, so the boat can clear bridges where other yachts of the same size might not. However, the ketch rig can translate to additional maintenance because two masts and two booms are more responsibility. On the up side, the rig allows use of multiple, smaller sails that should be easier to tame.
Construction: The Pearson 365 benefits from the materials of the day, including near impervious hand-laid-up fiberglass that ensured the hull and deck were rugged enough to withstand the elements. The keel is well-ballasted with 7,300 pounds of lead, a material most marine surveyors agree is far superior to iron. The skeg-hung rudder pairs nicely with the shallow keel for maneuverability.
Thanks to the shape and thickness of the hull, owners contend the yacht could easily withstand a minor impact. A solid bulkhead separates the cabin from the engine area aft, providing noise reduction and a measure of safety. The P365 hull is solid fiberglass and built with a liner that provides some insulation. The deck, coachroof and hatches are a sandwich of balsa between fiberglass.
On deck: The cockpit is 8 feet long and big enough for a crew of seven. The two cockpit drains are relatively small, prompting some owners to install two additional drains or enlarge the originals for fear a wave over the side might swamp the boat.
The decks are wide, making it safe and easy to walk around. Dorades and ventilation hatches channel fresh air below. Tall coamings define the cockpit and afford protection from the elements, as does the canvas dodger.
The helm station allows adequate forward sight lines. The shrouds fasten near the toerail so there's no need to lean precariously around them when going forward for a sail change. A locker secures the alcohol fuel or propane tanks. Two cockpit lockers hold sail bags and other bulky gear.
Down below: The saloon has 6 feet 3 inches of headroom. Features include a nav station with chart table, a hanging locker, twin settees for sleeping four persons, and a cabin with V-berth forward for two others. A galley near the companionway is fitted with a three-burner stove and oven, single-basin stainless steel sink, icebox, cabinet storage and adequate counter space.
The head has a sink, toilet and separate shower stall. The freshwater tank holds 150 gallons. A hot water heater makes the shower more inviting. The bulkheads and sole are white, with wooden inspection plates.
Engine: The Pearson 365 was fitted with a 42-horsepower diesel engine paired with a 50-gallon fuel tank. The engine model was a marinized Westerbeke 4-107, powerful enough to move the hull in most sea conditions.
Conclusion: The Pearson 365 is an affordable, well-built, rugged cruiser ideal for a couple planning to sail the U.S. coasts, the Bahamas and the Caribbean where its shoal-draft keel makes possible exploration of coves and inlets dotted with coral heads.
CONSTRUCTION QUALITY: The hull was constructed of hand-laid fiberglass with lead ballast. Approximately 405 Pearson 365 sloops and ketches were built between 1976 and 1982 under the watchful eyes of the company's quality control staff. Most of the yachts have withstood the passage of time with little need for major structural repair.
INVESTMENT AND RESALE: These boats tend to sell faster than some other yachts of the same vintage and size. More than 30 years has elapsed since most were built, and depreciation has run its course. Yet it remains a solidly constructed boat that is still in demand.
-Westerbeke(Perkins) 4-107, 40hp.
-3, 50 gallon water tanks (150 gallons)
-Self Tailing winches
-Schaefer Roller Furling
-Like new Bottom Siders Cockpit Cushions
-Dock Box.

Here is what needs to be finished

-Bow roller system installed.
-Engine needs starting system worked on.
-New Halyards installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sloop Du Jour1.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	416.5 KB
ID:	292150   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6077.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	292151  

Name:	IMG_6080.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	292152   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6100.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	292153  

Name:	IMG_6101.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	292154   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6103.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	292155  

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2024, 02:06   #2

Re: 1979 Pearson 365

Additional Pictures
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6100.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	292156   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6101.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	292157  

Name:	IMG_6107.jpg
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	292158   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6111.jpg
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	292159  

Name:	IMG_6114(1).jpg
Views:	40
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	292160   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6113.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	292161  

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 18-07-2024, 04:46   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

Hi, Celestialsailor,
The boat looks great. What is your asking price and location?
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2024, 08:37   #4

I'm sorry about the price and where it is berthed. When I copied the text, I guess I did not get it all.
Price: $24,000
Berthed in Antioch, Ca. (North Central California)
Old 12-08-2024, 13:21   #5

Thought I might bump this thread.
Old 12-08-2024, 23:28   #6

Hey that's a fine boat ! is she still for sale ?? if so is there somewhere more convenient to chat ?

/Andreas
Nederby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2024, 00:04   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nederby View Post
Hey that's a fine boat ! is she still for sale ?? if so is there somewhere more convenient to chat ?

/Andreas
Hi...You can click on my name and then send a private message.

Tags
pearson, pearson 365