Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2024, 12:57   #1

1980s trawler

I will be a solo boater, and many of the NEEDs and WANTs below are driven by this. And I understand that the NEEDs below eliminate 99% of the boats. However, if a boat passes the NEEDs filter, and contains some of the WANTs it is truly a contender to be purchased.

FWIW, I have made two offers on boats so far, the first fell through due to the survey findings, the second failed when the owner backed out after a verbal agreement on price. So there are occassional boats that meet my needs, and I do move on them. Also, for both boats I did have both insurance and finances lined up, so the procurement process should not be a lengthy one.

NEEDs
condition: this boat should be loop ready. ie engine and boat itself in decent/good shape
price: < $75000
type: trawler, 1980s seems to be the sweet spot between cost and condition
engine: single engine, preferably ford lehman
engine hours: they must be known*, preferably < 6000
length: 34' - 42'
helm: both lower and upper
access: lower helm needs a door next to it plus a starboard side door
bow thruster
air conditioning
decking should be in good (not perfect) condition
windlass
two staterooms, stern and v-berth

WANTs
auto pilot
depth sounder
windlass with foot pedals
flybridge enclosed
generator
dinghy, possibly davits
access to maintenance logs

* thorough maintenance logs and documentation on engine rebuilds/part replacements goes a long way to mitigating uncertain hours

I know this is a lot to ask, which is why I am still boatless after months of looking, but is why I am now throwing a wider net.* Any help anyone can give me is greatly appreciated!

bill
bill209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2024, 15:37   #2

Location: Florida, Off the Caloosahatchee Canal for the Summer
Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'
Re: 1980s trawler

Bill, your list of requirements looks well thought out, and not at all onerous. I've made a few comments below in RED though. You might also want to post on Trawlerforum if you are a member, as CruisersForum appears to be more ragbaggers than stinkpotters!
Here is one listed on Trawler Forum currently. Checks all your boxes, except length. At 40', it is a little larger than the 34' you are looking for.

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...ler-70365.html

If you buy it, I demand a lunch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill209 View Post
I will be a solo boater, and many of the NEEDs and WANTs below are driven by this. And I understand that the NEEDs below eliminate 99% of the boats. However, if a boat passes the NEEDs filter, and contains some of the WANTs it is truly a contender to be purchased.

FWIW, I have made two offers on boats so far, the first fell through due to the survey findings, the second failed when the owner backed out after a verbal agreement on price. So there are occassional boats that meet my needs, and I do move on them. Also, for both boats I did have both insurance and finances lined up, so the procurement process should not be a lengthy one.

NEEDs
condition: this boat should be loop ready. ie engine and boat itself in decent/good shape
price: < $75000 Doable, but possibly on a little on the low side
type: trawler, 1980s seems to be the sweet spot between cost and condition
engine: single engine, preferably ford lehman Don't discount a good condition Perkins!
engine hours: they must be known*, preferably < 6000
length: 34' - 42'
helm: both lower and upper
access: lower helm needs a door next to it plus a starboard side door
bow thruster
air conditioning
decking should be in good (not perfect) condition
windlass
two staterooms, stern and v-berth
Some type of chartplotter unless you are going to be using a tablet, but the chartplotter will be needed unless you want to use the autopilot only for Heading Hold
I would add VHF Radios at both helm stations

WANTs
auto pilot Personally, I would move this up to "Needs" instead of "Wants"
depth sounder I would also put this one in the "Need" catagory
windlass with foot pedals
flybridge enclosed
generator
dinghy, possibly davits
access to maintenance logs

* thorough maintenance logs and documentation on engine rebuilds/part replacements goes a long way to mitigating uncertain hours

I know this is a lot to ask, which is why I am still boatless after months of looking, but is why I am now throwing a wider net.* Any help anyone can give me is greatly appreciated!

bill
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2024, 16:48   #3

First, the link you provided to the Albin 40' looks great - but was taken off the market due to a potential buyer. However, I did reach out to the poster to let him know that if the sale did not go through then I would certainly be interested. great spy, thank you for taking the time to pass that along.

I also passed this request along to the trawlerforum as you suggested!

And your suggestions are so spot on, and I agree the price is pushing the low side.

As for suggestions such as Auto Pilot/Depth Sounder being Wanted v Needed - you are right, I also think these are NEEDED. It's only in my Wants group as I can more easily and fairly cheaply install these in a boat that does not have one. I'm actually surprised at the number of boats running around the loop without a depth sounder!

You did find a weak point in my list - my preferences for ford lehman's is based more on what i've seen most in my research, but the research is biased on how i've been searching. Also, I did work with my dad on an old Ford tractor as a youngster back up in the sticks of Virginia - not that me scrubbing grime off of parts in gasoline provided any particular insight into the inner workings of motor. : )

And if i buy that trawler, lunch is on me, though, i'm not sure where the loop crosses into mexico but i'll find a way. : )

thank you!
bill209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2024, 17:17   #4

Location: Florida, Off the Caloosahatchee Canal for the Summer
Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill209 View Post
First, the link you provided to the Albin 40' looks great - but was taken off the market due to a potential buyer. However, I did reach out to the poster to let him know that if the sale did not go through then I would certainly be interested. great spy, thank you for taking the time to pass that along.

I also passed this request along to the trawlerforum as you suggested!

And your suggestions are so spot on, and I agree the price is pushing the low side.

As for suggestions such as Auto Pilot/Depth Sounder being Wanted v Needed - you are right, I also think these are NEEDED. It's only in my Wants group as I can more easily and fairly cheaply install these in a boat that does not have one. I'm actually surprised at the number of boats running around the loop without a depth sounder!

You did find a weak point in my list - my preferences for ford lehman's is based more on what i've seen most in my research, but the research is biased on how i've been searching. Also, I did work with my dad on an old Ford tractor as a youngster back up in the sticks of Virginia - not that me scrubbing grime off of parts in gasoline provided any particular insight into the inner workings of motor. : )

And if i buy that trawler, lunch is on me, though, i'm not sure where the loop crosses into mexico but i'll find a way. : )

thank you!

Bill, your list of needs/wants/etc will evolve as you see more boats, and better nail down what you are wanting to do. If things go as planned, we will probably be in Florida with our boat by June 1 of this year. We are purchasing a house just off of the Caloosahatchee Canal, which cuts across Florida from Ft. Myers on the Gulf, to Stuart on the Atlantic side, so definitely on the loop! And it comes with a dock! Actually, THREE docks!
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trawler