Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2017, 13:47   #16

Boat: Looking for my next boat!
Re: 35' or so, Great Lakes (Canadian)

Its great to see such an interesting thread from someone local!!!

I read most of the previous posts, and while I agree that there are some good boats there, I think you can do better.

The Niagara 35 in particular is a great boat that you should NOT buy. It has a cored hull. And even if you find one with a dry core, your boat's value could quickly drop to zero if that changes. Also, its a very old design.

I think you should take advantage of the fact you will be sailing on the great lakes. That means you can get a fast, fin keel hull with spade rudder. I'm not saying get a race boat, but no one complains about making good speed under sail (or motor). Also, many of the best places to go around here have thin water...so shallow draft is preferred. I went everywhere I wanted when my draft was 3 foot 10, but when my new boat needed 5 feet, suddenly I was staring at the depthometer all the time.

Anyway, I'll jump to the end...I suggest you get a Hunter Legend 35.5, 1992 or newer.

They came with yanmar 3gm engines, winged keel (4.5 feet), and sugar scoop sterns with walk through transom. There are so many features this boat has over the "older" boats you might be considering. A real shower compartment with hot water shower...plus a transom shower! A king size transverse bunk in the aft cabin (earlier 35.5 models had a smaller bunk and more cockpit locker space. The vee cabin and aft cabin means two couples really do have some privacy and space to make sharing a pleasure. The sugar scoop stern makes getting into the water or dinghy much easier for everyone...something the ladies and kids will appreciate. Really it is a very nice boat with lots of modern features, and it sails very well...its likely one of hunter's best sailing, and best selling models.

And its in your price range:
1990 Hunter Legend 35.5 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

And yes, I owned one. Loved it. Never should have sold it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	double reef.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	140864   Click image for larger version

Name:	swim.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	140865  

Name:	Yanmar 3GM30F.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	140866   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1671.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	422.2 KB
ID:	140867  

Name:	Nav Station.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	140868   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1664.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	402.8 KB
ID:	140869  

hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 13:58   #17

BTW, if/when you find something...I'd be happy to help you deliver it to Kingston...no charge!
Old 07-02-2017, 14:19   #18

Boat: Mirage 35

^^ I'll keep that in mind.

And in any case I was discounting the Niagara, because as far as I can tell they only have one double berth. One of our requirements is room for a second couple on occasion, and expecting someone to sleep in the main cabin is not part of the plan.
Old 07-02-2017, 15:41   #19

Actually have a Tartan Classic (aka Blackwatch) 37, Hood design sloop, Douglas MacLeod 1968 gorgeous girl, new Yanmar, ready to go. But she is in Rockport Maine at Rocknak Yacht sales.
Alida.
Her exterior teak needs to recover from being on the hard, but she is in excellent, excellent shape and ready to go. Upgraded galley, new genoa, running and standing rigging, deck and all electric new in our ownership. You will love her. We just have 12 grandkids and needed more berths!
Check her out. She is in your price range even.
603 582 1426
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Alida profile.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	140874  
19Valiant79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 15:44   #20

Alida can be seen Rocknak*s Yacht Sales
Look at for sale, you'll see her listed.
19Valiant79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 17:52   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglaisInHull View Post
^^ I'll keep that in mind.

And in any case I was discounting the Niagara, because as far as I can tell they only have one double berth. One of our requirements is room for a second couple on occasion, and expecting someone to sleep in the main cabin is not part of the plan.
The Niagara 35 does have two quarter berths, which is pretty nice, although one is significantly larger than the other. The forward cabin, where normally you would find a vee berth, is often not a berth, but either storage or a workshop area. A very dated layout with no privacy at all for anyone. Although they have a good reputation for blue water.

The Niagara 35 encore (newer model) I think has a big vee berth and one small quarter berth. Still not enough space for 2 couples.

My other complaint is that many were equipped with volvo saildrives...and they did not age well.

For comparison, my Hunter 35.5 had a big vee cabin, very comfortable for a couple, and an aft cabin with a HUGE bunk. My pregnant wife slept there with me and my toddler daughter...and our 70 pound mixed breed dog would nuzzle her way in there too. With all that, there was still lots of space for several laundry baskets of clothes at the foot of the bunk. However, I was pinned in at the stern, and had to carefully climb over everyone to get out. I think that topic was covered in another thread. I think with just two, non-pregnant people it would be fine. And there was tons of really nice storage in wood doored cabinets, lockers and hanging lockers. At the time, the boat was nicer than my house...by a large margin.

You have made a wise choice, not to encourage sleeping in the main cabin. It would be a sure way to make everyone uncomfortable. As we get older, a little privacy is nice...getting changed, snoring, cuddling, etc.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:39   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Valiant79 View Post
Alida can be seen Rocknak*s Yacht Sales
Look at for sale, you'll see her listed.
I'll take a look and see what she's like - if nothing else we can always learn from comparing designs. However, I plan to start by seeing what I can find in local waters. If that comes up blank I'll go farther and start thinking about transport strategies.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:16   #23

Boat: Catalina 34

Lots of good Great Lakes capable cruisers in that price/size range. I'll put in another plug for Catalina 34's/36's. Both are decent sailing boats with cruiser friendly layouts and readily available in the region. Ours is serving very well as a family Great Lakes cruiser.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:43   #24

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglaisInHull View Post
So, after insisting I wouldn't, I'm shopping for a boat. Great Lakes cruising for now, something that works for a couple but would be comfortable if we invite another couple for a week or two. Comfort is more important than speed. Not interested in doing major repairs or upgrades. Initial location would likely be Kingston (Ontario), so a boat on the Canadian side of Lake Ontario would be the easy answer. Based on the above, my first guess is that we're looking for something in the 35 foot range, and can probably expect to pay $50,000 CDN (so about $37.50 US) or more, but hopefully not too much more Most of you don't have boats for sale, but I'm hoping to take advantage of your knowledge to help me figure out what I'm looking for. All ideas and suggestions are welcome.
Hi ! I'm also Canadian (Montreal) & I purchased 2 sailboats on the Great Lakes (One in 1980, one in 2014). Both on the US side: more choice, cheaper ! My last purchase is a 1988 Ericson 34/6 tons in excellent condition. 'got it in Manistee from a fine old gentleman who was going to undergo a knee surgery but who had spend his last years just taking good care of his "baby". I motor-sailed it with my son all the way to NY/NY & then alone to the French West Indies (Done it already in 1980!). All this for $35K & it was worth it ! Good luck PS: Another model I really like (But it's a bit more expensive) is the Tartan 37 centerboard. Its inside layout is older than my Ericson that has the head at the foot of the companionway & two enclosed sleeping area
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/category/type/Tartan/37
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ericson_34_16.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	140907   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ericson_34_29.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	140908  

ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:49   #25

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Mc View Post
I would suggest looking closely at the CS boats built in Oakville. They are all well constructed and sail well. The CS36 Traditional is a highly recommended vessel. They are all getting a bit old but if you look you should be able to find one that has been well looked after.

Good luck.
Gary
Agree with Gary 100%. Also look at the Merlin, there are a few for sale.
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 16:36   #26

Boat: Pearson 30

There's a well maintained mirage 35 in Rochester at Gilbert's marine - great boat.
lightsloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 17:03   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsloop View Post
There's a well maintained mirage 35 in Rochester at Gilbert's marine - great boat.
Is this it:
1985 Mirage 35 - Navy Point Yacht Sales in Rochester, New York, United States - Navy Point Yacht Sales

There is another Mirage 35 right here in Kingston, been for sale over a year. I met the owners...nice older couple, boat in good shape. But they have overpriced it. Maybe they would be negotiable if they saw the ad (above)?

Mirage 35, | sailboats | Kingston | Kijiji
Old 09-02-2017, 17:27   #28

Thanks for the info, Dave. I had seen that one, and also another similar boat in Kingston but newer, better equipped, and almost the same asking price.

If you don't mind I'll get in touch by e-mail for further info - you seem to have an ear to the ground in the right area. I'm fine with talking general impressions on a public forum, but if it gets to comments on specific boats I'd rather do it offline.

George
Old 06-03-2017, 10:45   #29

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

Friend has a 37.5 legend in Holland Michigan for sale.
Think it's listed on Grand Rapids Craigslist or Holland Craigslist.
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 12:15   #30

Thanks, I'll take a look.

Tags
great lakes