Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2017, 20:42   #16
So many boats, so little time.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FYC Club boats, 22 to 40.
Re: 42' blue water cruising up to 55k USD

[QUOTE=leftbrainstuff;2370197]I assume by ready to go you mean fully equipped. Your budget is low for that size boat in that condition.

and....here's our own Hudson Force with his Morgan Out Island 41 for ...
now...$40K
Full history right on this site. Major creds, has sailed the Carib sea for decades - in fact, that's what it was designed for with a shoal draft full keel.
td0tz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2017, 03:24   #17

Boat: Malö 40H

This thread reminds me of that old adage “how much does a boat cost? - everything you have”

I started with a budget of 30K on my first boat and I struggled to find a good one and it seemed I was always just a bit short. Now I am on the hunt for my second one and have tripled my budget and I am struggling to find a good one and feel like I am always a bit short

So Hmm.. it seems that there is a boat for every budget. The question is how many. If you are looking for a ready to go 42’ fully equipped blue water cruiser on a budget of 200K you have got a myriad options. If your budget is 55K you might have to wait a long time for the stars to align for you. But yeah, I am with the other posters, in this budget there is pretty much no room for other than either boats that are not really “that” bluewater ready or even “ready” for that matter , or cashing out on someone’s urgency or misfortune.
crankysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2017, 06:31   #18

Boat: B24

Yep, interesting thread – I’ve been reading/lurking this forum off and on for years and have yet to see a “bluewater” definition/judgement that wasn’t either largely based on dollar/Euro amount or brand name of the vessel. It seems to me there is a lot of modern machinery that is interesting but by no means compulsory for bluewater cruising, but the fundamental basics just aren’t that costly. Another factor than seems to drive up the price is the purported schedule (did we just think of this last week, and now want to beat the next hurricane/typhoon/volcano/nuclear-cataclysm season) and/or what are the skills of the would-be voyager (are we dependent on a commercial yard to check every cotter-key/snap-ring, and mend minor issues with the sails, or can we do this ourselves). I’ve been rethinking my own priorities after much head-scratching – after using my 72H gps for years, was recently looking for a nice chart-plotter -- after thinking that general aviation glass-cockpits were pricey, decided that their marine cousins were [four-letter word deleted]. And bought a used sextant… Grandma and I plan to go trekking in about 18-24 months and would love to have a $55K budget…
Old 25-11-2017, 20:48   #19
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorcherry View Post
$79,500 Doug Peterson bluewater performance cruiser. In Northern California.

Under $100k since she needs some cruising gear. She had a six figure cruising conversion completed in 1995 that separates her from the rest plus a recent refit.
20% have circumnavigated.
Fast and tough as nails. Great sailer in all points and weather.

1981 Doug Peterson Serendipity 43 sailboat for sale in California
WOW ee eight foot draft!!!!eeeeeeeeeeeeeee
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 20:56   #20
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jferline View Post
Hi everyone,

family of 4 looking for a boat to sail around the world up to 55k USD that is ready ( or almost) for bluewater sailing

We are from brazil looking for to buy it anywhere in the world but preferably in europe or caribean

Please let me know if you have any tips. We have one boat we like in trinidad but we are afraid of going there with only one boat to see.
"ready to go" LOL clean, great-looking, blue water needs nothing! not more than 15 years old??? LOL 55K??? if you are able to work on a wrecked hurricane salvage Insurance totaled for 2-3 years you MIGHT find it LOL A 42 world cruiser with everything needed to sail around world in relative safety and comfort and zero defects! these boats costs double that 55K anywhere in world. These are in great demand-why would those who have them sell for less??
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 23:23   #21

Boat: naver 29

45ft ? 53k at the current exchange rate
https://morvarghforsale.wordpress.co...t-and-viewing/
martinworswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 10:05   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinworswick View Post
Interesting boat. Simple and strong. Thoughts on must adds, want to add, and frivolous adds for a UK to NZ journey?
Mic
Heynekamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 10:51   #23

Boat: Pearson 367

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heynekamp View Post
Interesting boat. Simple and strong. Thoughts on must adds, want to add, and frivolous adds for a UK to NZ journey?
Mic
Messaged the owner and the boat sold a week ago. Looked like a lot of boat for the $$$.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 11:05   #24

Boat: Malö 40H

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCoolDave View Post
Messaged the owner and the boat sold a week ago. Looked like a lot of boat for the $$$.

I dunno... whenever I hear about these amazing deals.. one wonders. Like Lt. Aldo Raine said ..

„I've done my share of bootlegging. Up 'ere, if you engage in what the federal government calls 'illegal activity,' but what we call 'just a man tryin' to make a livin' for his family sellin' moonshine liquor,' it behooves oneself to keep his wits. Long story short, we hear a story too good to be true... it ain't. „

But alas, I guess I am just the untrusting type ... or the mythical „sailor passed, family just wants to get rid of the boat“ story is indeed more common than one thinks...
crankysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 12:17   #25

If you were going to hang around in the Med/Mexico or Caribbean then you might pull something like this off but your talking about sailing around the world. It's not that it's necessarily hard because it isn't these days But it's very hard on the boat. I dont want to be a spoil sport but if your tight on money now in the purchase stage wait until you really start spending money on outfitting a 42 foot boat for a trip like that and keeping it properly maintained. A 42 foot offshore boat is not cheap to maintain even if you were capable of doing all your own maintenance and maintenance never stops. It's like the sun rising every morning, you just know something is going to break down or quite working. The best advice I can give you is to consider purchasing the smallest boat you can get by with because costs rise exponentially with every foot in length and keep all the systems dead simple. Simple like no refrigerator because you need big powerful alternators and large battery banks, solar panels etc. and lots of ongoing maintenance, consider using a windvane rather than autopilot. No SSB, receiver only. No genset. Hard dink and small motor, no watermaker , one head. I think you get the drift...none of this stuff will take away from the experience. Good luck, cause you'll need it.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, water