Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2023, 08:09   #1

Boat: 1981 Ta Tong Cape Horn Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to gts1544
43' BLUE WATER CUTTER PROJECT BOAT

1981 TA TONG CAPE HORN 43’ CANOE-STERN CUTTER (DESIGNED BY BOB PERRY)

My wife and I (mid-to-late seventies) own the above-mentioned boat (almost identical to a Polaris 43 – different builder) and would like to sell her to a young, or young-at-heart, couple willing to put the work into her to have a very nice blue-water cruising boat. While not current, the vessel was USCG documented in my name and will be sold with a USCG Bill of Sale, thus maintaining a “chain of ownership” to enable the buyer to document her. The price is negotiable and while we will not give the boat away, we are cognizant that she is going to require a fair amount of work and money to make her seaworthy, but you would be starting with very good “bones”. The prospective buyer should do his or her due diligence prior to making an offer. My wife and I are planning to be in North Carolina during February and March 2023 and would be happy to engage personally with prospective buyers at that time, in the meantime, we are available by phone and email.
She has been sitting on the hard in coastal North Carolina in a DIY boatyard since 2008, with a professional, navy-blue hull repaint in 2010. She has a more recent completely rebuilt Perkins 108 diesel with less that 1 hours testing time and a full set ($3000) of never-used new cushions. She has good, but older Garmin navionics, that all functioned when she was laid up. She has a lot of blue-water cruising accessories too numerous to be mentioned here.
Contact me through this forum or at spettigue@gmail.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10-04-05  Carefree 001[1].JPG
Views:	408
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	269734   Click image for larger version

Name:	10-04-05  Carefree 002[1].JPG
Views:	408
Size:	211.3 KB
ID:	269735  

Name:	10-04-05  Carefree 003[1].JPG
Views:	339
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	269736   Click image for larger version

Name:	01-Vee Berth Center.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	442.2 KB
ID:	269737  

Name:	02-Pullman Berth Starboard Forward.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	432.5 KB
ID:	269738   Click image for larger version

Name:	03-Salon Starboard Outboard.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	269739  

Name:	02-Salon Propane Heater Starboard Forward.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	269740   Click image for larger version

Name:	04-Salon Folding Table.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	269741  

Name:	01-Galley Port Aft .jpg
Views:	317
Size:	421.4 KB
ID:	269742   Click image for larger version

Name:	03-AC DC Electrical Panel.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	413.9 KB
ID:	269743  

Name:	4 inch Thick Firm Foam Cushions.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	269744   Click image for larger version

Name:	Monitor Self-Steering Gear.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	269745  

gts1544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 09:11   #2

Re: 43' BLUE WATER CUTTER PROJECT BOAT

Can't tell from the photos. So what is her indicative asking price, what makes her a project boat other than aesthetics, mast, standing rigging, running, winches, sails, etc.? Thank you.
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 10:17   #3

MAKO, She would have to have all of her systems checked out as they have been dormant for nearly 15 years. She will probably need standing and running rigging, batteries and bottom paint at a minimum. Also bear in mind that the interior pictures were taken years ago just after the interior had been completely cleaned. Most of the gear is off of the boat in storage.

I have not been aboard the boat in years and could not speak to her current condition nor what she would command on the current market. I am sorry that I cannot be more helpful, but until I get out to North Carolina and see the boat, that is the best that I can do! George
Old 02-02-2023, 16:51   #4

A change of plans, due to an April 02 wedding in North Carolina, we, the owners, will now be in NC during the month of April. George
Old 02-02-2023, 19:57   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

@gts1554,

The posting rules for the for sale forum require that you post at least an asking price and location for the vessel. Please take care of this by adding another post.

Good luck with selling her. It will be good to get out from under the responsibility. Sorry that events got in the way of the project. I see lots of caring there.

Ann
Old 03-02-2023, 16:05   #6

JPA CATE - Ann, My apologies for the unintentional omissions as I was unaware - no excuse!
The vessel is located in Hampstead, NC (15 miles north of Wilmington, NC)
I really have no idea what she is worth considering the TLC and expense that the new owner will have to put forth to get her seaworthy, however given the "bones" plus the equipment that will come with her, I will set a negotiable price of $35K. George
Old 03-02-2023, 18:15   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Great, thanks.

Ann
Old 06-02-2023, 13:48   #8

Couldn't find this on sailboatdata but did find the Polaris 43, an "unauthorized copy of Robert Perry" design and only 6 are made from what I've found. Now cannot find any info on Ta Tong / Cape Horn cutter, anything your side?
argosail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 05:10   #9

Argosail, The Ta Tong Cape Horn Cutter 43' is "identical" to the Polaris 43', simply built from the same plans by a different boatyard, Ta Tong, as best I understand it. All of her specifications and interior layout are the same as the Polaris 43. I did communicate with Bob Perry, who provided me with some information about the story behind his design of this boat and the Polaris, for which he was never paid. I would be happy to provide this to any prospective buyer via email attachment. George
Old 08-02-2023, 05:44   #10
Abo

Hi gts 1544,

I am interested, can you please email me at: wayneme@mail.com so I can talk at length with you about the boat. I will give you my phone number and call you if that is OK with you.
Wayne
Abo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 12:34   #11

Wayne, I have sent you a Private Message with the requested information. George
Old 01-03-2024, 07:43   #12

FOLKS, A major change in the circumstances surrounding CAREFREE'S offering situation has occurred. My 17' trailer containing much of her equipment (cushions, ground tackle, sails, etc.) has been stolen from her location in Hampstead, NC. thus significantly affecting her worth and increasing the renovation cost to a prospective buyer. Looking on the bright side for the world cruising buyer, this gives them an opportunity to refit the boat as they see fit for their purposes.
As a result, I am reducing my asking price to $15,000 somewhat negotiable pending an actual physical inspection of the vessel by a prospective buyer. George
Old 01-03-2024, 10:15   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Here is the link to sailboatdata for the Polaris 43 l.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/polaris-43/

Two thoughts:

Cruiser forum has a thread for “Notable Finds under $30,000”. I would go there and post a cross link to here.

According to sailboat data this is similar to a Valiant 40. I believe there is a Valiant Owners Group that accepts for sale listings. Perhaps they would accept posting this as it is closely related.

From sailboatdata re: Polaris Originally designed for a single client (based on the VALIANT 40) but went into limited and unauthorized production. (against designers wishes with no royalties paid)
Promoted by Pacific Odyssey Inc., (USA).

I believe Bob Perry has been pretty vocal about this incident where he was denied his designers fee.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2024, 07:20   #14

Post Re: 43' BLUE WATER CUTTER PROJECT BOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts1544 View Post
MAKO, She would have to have all of her systems checked out as they have been dormant for nearly 15 years. She will probably need standing and running rigging, batteries and bottom paint at a minimum. Also bear in mind that the interior pictures were taken years ago just after the interior had been completely cleaned. Most of the gear is off of the boat in storage.

I have not been aboard the boat in years and could not speak to her current condition nor what she would command on the current market. I am sorry that I cannot be more helpful, but until I get out to North Carolina and see the boat, that is the best that I can do! George
I sent an email to you and would like your permission to go down to NC and examine the boat. Please reply to me via email; stan at cskennedy dot com I need the yard location and a written ok to go aboard and possibly arrange for a survery etc. I am in VB and would plan to bring the boat here for a complete restoration, depending on what I find when I check her out. My offer would depend on this of course, but I am in a position to do this. Also you mention that things that would be included are in storage. Is that near the yard?
Regards,
Stan
sirknite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue water, boat, cutter, project, water