Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2019, 18:34   #1

60' Harry Proa

Original Harry Proa design - 2003. Day cruiser with small sleeping cabin. Custom designed for a sailing school in the USA. Never fully put together or painted. Good condition. Some work required. Would make a great beginner project, as all pieces are available. Mast, sails and boat trailer included. Buyer must pay, and arrange for, shipping. Located in Maine, USA. $30,000 OBO. More pictures available.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190826_191104.jpg
Views:	908
Size:	460.3 KB
ID:	198788   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190623_215715.jpg
Views:	623
Size:	409.6 KB
ID:	198789  

Name:	20190624_131037.jpg
Views:	639
Size:	354.2 KB
ID:	198790   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190624_130511.jpg
Views:	720
Size:	417.5 KB
ID:	198791  

Name:	20190624_130625.jpg
Views:	607
Size:	399.7 KB
ID:	198792   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190624_130743.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	321.2 KB
ID:	198793  

Two Toots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 17:38   #2

Re: 60' Harry Proa

This is the first commercially built harryproa, built by Mark Stephens in Aus and exported to Maine. A disaster by us as we quoted for a work boat finish, then decided to make it showroom so did not get it painted by the time it had to go on the ship.

The hulls are strip planked cedar, the beams, rudders and boom are timber and carbon, the mast vac bagged carbon, all built to a high standard. Check any areas where there has been standing water, but it should be fine. I think the trailer was locally built. Not sure if the sails were built here, but if they were Pierre Gal was the sailmaker. Other sails from him have been fine.

The windward hull has a throughway as the boat was going to double as a water taxi, with access from the windward side and a 50 hp outboard. The cut out is well beefed up, could be left as is or covered in. No idea if the outboard was ever bought.

The lee hull is 40', not 60. I can't remember the other dimensions, but they will be close to those at HARRY – HARRYPROA.

If anyone has any harryproa related questions, please contact me, either here or on harryproa@gmail.com Other information is at HARRYPROA
rob denney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 07:23   #3

i stopped to entertain the idea of a proa, when i read this:

https://segelreporter.com/panorama/g...-warf-proa-um/
Vlogliveaboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 16:34   #4

The Harryproa is much safer and less likely to capsize. It has higher righting moment (almost all the weight is in the windward hull), an unstayed mast which bends and depowers in a squall, a rig than cannot be caught aback and minimal draft, making them less prone top tripping over in big waves.

The capsize appears to be poor seamanship, aided by tiredness. Weight to leeward proas have low righting moment. They need skill and attention in strong winds, more so on rainy nights. Ideally, they would have dropped the sails, lifted the rudders and gone to bed until the wind dropped. If they were still worried, deploy a drogue and drift downwind. If it gets really bad, deploy a sea anchor or parachute.

These are standard multihull procedures, but are much easier to implement in a Harryproa as you do not have to go on the foredeck, everything can be done from the safety of the cockpit/area between the beams.
Old 11-03-2021, 12:05   #5

Two Toots, did anything ever happen with this project? I would be interested to learn more about it, or the school or anything. I have never seen anything like this on the eastern seaboard!
BossTauraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 20:00   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossTauraus View Post
Two Toots, did anything ever happen with this project? I would be interested to learn more about it, or the school or anything. I have never seen anything like this on the eastern seaboard!
As far as I know it has not sold. No idea about the school. There are a couple of C50's and an E25 being built on the east coast, so you should see some soon.
Old 13-03-2021, 03:36   #7

Hi Rob,
You seem the guy in the know about these. Do you know if any of those builders would be willing to have a show and tell visitor? These things are just so peculiar and different I want to go kick a few tires!
BT
BossTauraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2021, 05:13   #8

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

For tire kicking, besides Rob, who is one of the folks who are really deep into the subject and has actually built boats on the water, there are, amongst other, these two very knowledgeable Proa experts:

Russ Brown, he has designed, built and cruised several of his proas successfully.
http://www.ptwatercraft.com/ptwatercraft/Russell.html

The other one is a company called Chesapeake Light craft.
http://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/w...ific-proa.html

Next to add would be Dick Newick, but unfortunately he has the blue marble few years ago.
His project Cheers was really kind of the first modern proas, built in Christiansted, St. Croix, USVI to compete in the Ostar.
Quote:
Hi Rob,
You seem the guy in the know about these. Do you know if any of those builders would be willing to have a show and tell visitor? These things are just so peculiar and different I want to go kick a few tires!
BT
Old 13-03-2021, 17:35   #9

Quote:
Hi Rob,
BT
The best way to find out about the boats and the people building them is to post your interest on the Harryproa chat group. Lots of useful information, no aggro and all the builders and interested people are there. https://groups.io/g/HarryProa

Failing that, ask questions here and I will do my best to answer them. May not be immediately as I am pretty immersed in the current project; building a zero emissions cargo proa to service remote Pacific villages.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cargo proa sketch.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	437.7 KB
ID:	234465  
Old 04-02-2022, 08:34   #10

Is it still for sale?
gordon.livey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 14:29   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon.livey View Post
Is it still for sale?
As far as I know, yes.

For those who want to know more about Harryproas generally, the Learning the Lines folk have produced this video.