Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2020, 10:43   #1

Alberg 30

Like the title says, I'm looking for a good Alberg 30 hull to build out for offshore work. If anyone has one, or a line on one, I'd appreciate a heads up! I'm not looking for a pristine boat, just a good solid hull to start with and restore/build out for distance sailing.

I thought I'd give this a try. Thanks!
Jebrown215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 11:03   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Alberg 30

Big flat open cockpit. Not much fun for offshore work.

Why an Alberg, why not something else?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 12:06   #3

I hate to be that guy but have you sailed on one of these? I know several have circumnavigated but I don't think the boat is very seakindly. The long overhangs mean hobby horsing for one. Also, the design of the settees means, unless you're really short in the upper body you won't likely be able to sit up straight down below and I believe the berth lengths are not terribly long. I do like how the aft locker can be made into an outboard well, though.

Not trying to be a jerk I just don't want you to put time and money into something and not enjoy it.

Good luck in whatever you decide
Heathenly Twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 12:17   #4

Boat: Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebrown215 View Post
Like the title says, I'm looking for a good Alberg 30 hull to build out for offshore work. If anyone has one, or a line on one, I'd appreciate a heads up! I'm not looking for a pristine boat, just a good solid hull to start with and restore/build out for distance sailing.

Hey pal,

I'm in the same boat you are, but about a month and a half ahead of you.

I purchased an old worthless Alberg 30 and I'm well into the gutting and refitting.

If an A30 is what you want, I say go for it.

There'll be a lot of work to do, and it'll be expensive and time consuming, but what else is there to do these days? Sure as **** can't sail it.

Good luck with your search!

XXXXX
xxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 12:53   #5

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebrown215 View Post

They are great little and capable boats.
Don't overlook the Alberg 29 - it is newer and improved verson of the 30, even bigger! There is one fully equipped and ready to sail in Toronto for just over $10K CAD with a diesel. This is a very good price here and a great bargain for you with a 35+% discount with the CA dollar so low - I mean, just under 7 grand US is probably the price of the engine...

Several A29's and A30's listings:

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/cgi...ate&so=descend
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 08:34   #6

Thanks for the replies!

Barnakeil and Heathenly Twins, I know what you're saying. I have a history with the boat, and after living and traveling on a 47' Jeanneau for some time, I really just want a simple, traditional boat, and the Alberg is a fairly stout, simple, decent sailing, and good looking boat at that price point.

I actually used to have one of these, though never got to sail it. I bought it for $900 in City Island and then lost it because I was young and stupid. Now that I'm a fair bit older, I'd like to restore one.
Old 12-04-2020, 09:20   #7

Boat: Cape Dory, Cutter,30

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...3048563318720/
moctrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:15   #8

Boat: Beneteau 423, 43’

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
They are great little and capable boats.

Don't overlook the Alberg 29 - it is newer and improved verson of the 30, even bigger! There is one fully equipped and ready to sail in Toronto for just over $10K CAD with a diesel. This is a very good price here and a great bargain for you with a 35+% discount with the CA dollar so low - I mean, just under 7 grand US is probably the price of the engine...

Several A29's and A30's listings:

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/cgi...ate&so=descend

This looks like a beautiful example, though not the challenge the OP is looking for. It’s a generous gesture to spend many many thousands to restore a boat that will be “worth” only a fraction of what was invested in the restoration. A case in point that “value” involves highly weighted intangibles. Thank you to the OP for your example of our collective passion, and for your gift to future generations of sailors.
Fbfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2020, 13:05   #9

Many Alberg 30's in the Chesapeake area currently sailing, racing and on the hard. Have you seen the many listings there? Good luck there are a lot out there.
moonmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2020, 13:49   #10

Boat: Cape Dory, Cutter,30

This guy sailed around the world in an Alberg 30. Interesting read. No money, no experience and boat was seized when he got back to Annapolis. The boat is currently on the hard in Southern, MD.

https://neuseriversailors.com/reviews/molly_brown.html
moctrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2020, 05:35   #11

There are quite a few good listings, and I'm looking forward to checking them out as soon as this travel becomes a little easier. I can't wait for the Covod-period to be over.
Old 21-04-2020, 14:45   #12

Location: Cambridge Md, on the eastern shore of the chesapeake Bay
Boat: 198 carolina skiff

I saw this one in Maryland for sale , it looks to be in good shape . They say there are 200 in Md . https://www.boats.com/sailing-boats/...rg-30-6766961/ . I remember looking at one but bought a Triton , they looked identical , the Triton was the most comfortable boat i have had .
khoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2021, 08:09   #13

I have an Alberg 30 and couldn’t be happier with it. Have sailed it inshore and off shore. It’s a solid and safe boat. For my purposes it’s the perfect vessel.
Amordobarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 21:27   #14

Boat: Cape Dory

Check out Capedory.org lots of 30's (and others) there. There are definitely shortcomings to these designs -- but there are also real strengths. All boats are a series of compromises. I wish my CD330 had better access to the water (swim platform), better dingy carrying abilities (either able to carry more weight astern on davits of more space on the foredeck) and another good seaberth for long passages. But it is really well built, sails better than anyone gives it credit for, and is a great value for its cost / ability. If the A30 is your thing -- go for it. The CD 30 is a nice (and more recent) version.
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 10:25   #15

Boat: G-Cat 5.7 - soon a full time cruiser

Not sure how "good" it is but it certainly is cheap.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...2-261362084e89
mgriff2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alberg, alberg 30