Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2019, 13:12   #46

Boat: Electra/Ariel/Triton
Re: Any boat anywhere that needs to be loved and used

Susie has a slight flaw.... little money??? Now that's funny... What 22 year old doesn't have that problem???? Does Susie know how to solve that problem?? Maybe Dad could help her out there and suggest how she could go about correcting that issue. I'm thinking if Dad can't Grandpa can. Who doesn't or didn't have big plans when they were 22? Why is it with this generation the quick and short answer is always, get somebody else to offset the cost. ( I'm not saying Susie thinks this way, just some of the responses here to solve Susie's issue.)If Susie is desperate to start her big adventure now , would an option be to utilize your boat?

I'm sure my thinking is antiquated but then the things I wanted at 22 were realized at 50 After WORKING 30+ years, boats, race cars, motorcycles, property etc. Of course I was side tracked I suppose by marrying and funding two daughters all the way till college graduation.
I live in the USA, acquiring a boat is the cheapest part of the equation, in boat ownership, may be different in other parts of the world, I don't know.
Carl-T705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2019, 19:59   #47
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

We had to walk in the snow to school, up hills and both ways.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2019, 21:50   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl-T705 View Post
I live in the USA, acquiring a boat is the cheapest part of the equation, in boat ownership, may be different in other parts of the world, I don't know.
No miracles they age, break, rust, leak the same way and cost hilarious amounts of money and TIME to repair. Time, even if you pay the money upfront... And dealing with repairers is certainly not the cruising fun we dreamed of.

Ever considered that a new rigging, new furler, new sails trio costs about half if not more of a typical 20-30y second hand boat?
Old 26-07-2019, 23:02   #49

Boat: Volkscruiser

JordanH I fully agree, I would have died of embarrassment if my parents had made this post when I was 22. Particularly since it looks like her folks aren’t short of money anyway?
As for Susie if she was really driven she should have gotten her own yacht by now? By 22 I had already owned one yacht in New Zealand and had just purchased a fibreglass Folkboat in Midland Ontario. This was all with money the wife and I had saved. So it can be done, you just have to be narrow minded and determined to own a boat.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2019, 02:08   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
JordanH I fully agree, I would have died of embarrassment if my parents had made this post when I was 22. Particularly since it looks like her folks aren’t short of money anyway?
As for Susie if she was really driven she should have gotten her own yacht by now? By 22 I had already owned one yacht in New Zealand and had just purchased a fibreglass Folkboat in Midland Ontario. This was all with money the wife and I had saved. So it can be done, you just have to be narrow minded and determined to own a boat.
Cheers
Actually in the UK where she is based, you can get a decent Westerly Centaur for about 4-5k£ but someone knowledgeable has to take a close look if there isn't any serious problems with it. Sails just about anywhere, can be kept in a cheap drying mooring, "only" needs regular maintenance. Probably every market has a ~5k$ trailer sailor, quite a few of them made incredible ocean passages.

Tags
boat