Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: What yacht brand/model do you recommend for my needs?
Hallberg-Rassy 6 35.29%
Najad 3 17.65%
Oyster 2 11.76%
Morgan Catalina 1 5.88%
Amel 6 35.29%
Other (make a comment) 6 35.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2022, 05:54   #31
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Bluewater cruiser 12m+, EU-taxed

Oceanlord headroom 6' 4"...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	saloon_settees.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	217.9 KB
ID:	260655   Click image for larger version

Name:	saloon_3.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	260656  

Click image for larger version

Name:	galley.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	260657   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear_cabin.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	260658  

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 09:20   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Bluewater cruiser 12m+, EU-taxed

That looks quite nice. Shame the OP isn't still around to benefit from the forums experience
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 09:37   #33
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
That looks quite nice. Shame the OP isn't still around to benefit from the forums experience
Thought I saw a thread from him looking to crew later this month for two weeks and again in August..
Notice he's based in Lisbon in which case this is very handy for him to check over...

https://westerly.apolloduck.com/boat...or-sale/697198

Old 11-07-2022, 07:05   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
And built like a brick shithouse by modern standards..
Probably, but is not so important. Important is to have space and stowage and some comfort. These old boats don’t meet that requirement nowadays. Furthermore chances are high you will have 2 major problems:
1. This will be a project boat eating your budget month after month. Everything is used and will need replacement. Pumps, electric circuits, outdated electronics maybe still working for a few months
2. You won’t manage to get insurance. These older boats are commonly refused by insurance companies. And you need insurance ! You will be asked proof of insurance in 90% of all harbours.

We opted for a recent Beneteau 43 and equipped it with 50k extra equipment, total cost about 190k. Don’t try to cut corners, you will be met by the corners needing lots of money. And do not believe the blue water fairy tale: these are mostly very old boats which are not worth the investment to get them up to standard anymore. You could opt for a recent blue water boat… but these will be way out of your budget.

Best advice: choose a good production boat (Bavaria, Beneteau, Jeanneau, Dufour) They are generally well built and up to the task
Sailing Hanse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 07:12   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff3nebel View Post
“Nice boat, but very cramped by today’s standards…”????
When were you - ‘Go boating now’ - last onboard an Oceanlord, let alone sailed offshore on one? I respectively suggest your opinion is perhaps conditioned by the floating caravans rolling off the production lines of Beneteau and Bavaria…
These what you call floating caravans are very capable sailing boats. Had a friend with a Camper Nicholson (don’t know the length anymore but above 40 feet) who claimed these boats where tupperware caravans. After doing a trip with our 2 boats for 1 week, he never used this expression anymore, since he was slower at every wind strength and every wind angle. We did 2 ocean crossings with our Beneteau without any major problem. Guess you are getting old…
Old 11-07-2022, 07:40   #36
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing Hanse37 View Post
Probably, but is not so important. Important is to have space and stowage and some comfort. These old boats don’t meet that requirement nowadays. Furthermore chances are high you will have 2 major problems:
1. This will be a project boat eating your budget month after month. Everything is used and will need replacement. Pumps, electric circuits, outdated electronics maybe still working for a few months
2. You won’t manage to get insurance. These older boats are commonly refused by insurance companies. And you need insurance ! You will be asked proof of insurance in 90% of all harbours.

We opted for a recent Beneteau 43 and equipped it with 50k extra equipment, total cost about 190k. Don’t try to cut corners, you will be met by the corners needing lots of money. And do not believe the blue water fairy tale: these are mostly very old boats which are not worth the investment to get them up to standard anymore. You could opt for a recent blue water boat… but these will be way out of your budget.

Best advice: choose a good production boat (Bavaria, Beneteau, Jeanneau, Dufour) They are generally well built and up to the task
Its obvious you have never been aboard a Westerly Oceanlord, I would lay odds their storage capacity will near double an equivalent size Bene or other French boat.
Tankage of water is irrelevant these days with water makers however even without one could manage on just her tank if one can live without the 20minute shower every day.
I've owned Bene's and sailed the others you've named so not just talking outa my arse and I still reckon the best boat I ever owned for all conditions was my Westerly Longbow.
As for insurance, all one needs is liability even for your Bene 43, can't claim if your dead, only if you **** yourself and hit the EPIRB..
What make you think its a project boat, just because its old..?? The last owner could have been on top of things and maintained it all..
These were built to the highest standard in their day and inspected at every stage unlike today's self regulated CE standard which opts for the lowest acceptable instead of the highest.. its what caused Westerly to crash, the refusal to compromise.
Reread the OP's requirements slowly and his sailing ambitions, the Oceanlord fits them all just need to choose the right one.. like with a used Bene..

Old 11-07-2022, 07:59   #37

I see lots of people looking to cross oceans and are counting bathrooms instead of looking at the Brewer Comfort Ratio and Capsize Ratio. I spent 20 years crossing the Atlantic, the Pacific and the Indian Ocean (twice) and see people looking at Fin Keels and Spade Rudders and remember talking to people who thought they could outrun the weather with a faster boat... Good Luck.
Curmugeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 09:52   #38
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/oceanlord-41-westerly

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/beneteau-43

Old 11-07-2022, 09:53   #39

Quote:
Its obvious you have never been aboard a Westerly Oceanlord, I would lay odds their storage capacity will near double an equivalent size Bene or other French boat.
Tankage of water is irrelevant these days with water makers however even without one could manage on just her tank if one can live without the 20minute shower every day.
I've owned Bene's and sailed the others you've named so not just talking outa my arse and I still reckon the best boat I ever owned for all conditions was my Westerly Longbow.
As for insurance, all one needs is liability even for your Bene 43, can't claim if your dead, only if you **** yourself and hit the EPIRB..
What make you think its a project boat, just because its old..?? The last owner could have been on top of things and maintained it all..
These were built to the highest standard in their day and inspected at every stage unlike today's self regulated CE standard which opts for the lowest acceptable instead of the highest.. its what caused Westerly to crash, the refusal to compromise.
Reread the OP's requirements slowly and his sailing ambitions, the Oceanlord fits them all just need to choose the right one.. like with a used Bene..
Pppfff, owners of old boats love old boats.
Old 11-07-2022, 09:57   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmugeon View Post
I see lots of people looking to cross oceans and are counting bathrooms instead of looking at the Brewer Comfort Ratio and Capsize Ratio. I spent 20 years crossing the Atlantic, the Pacific and the Indian Ocean (twice) and see people looking at Fin Keels and Spade Rudders and remember talking to people who thought they could outrun the weather with a faster boat... Good Luck.
Most of the boats crossing oceans nowadays are … production boats. I first crossed oceans with a Bavaria 42. Second crossings where with a Beneteau oceanis 43. Neither of the two had any major problems. Almost all modern boats are with fin keels and spade rudders. Only some old surviving models are not and these are impossible to insure nowadays. Insurance company's know best what they want to insure and what not i guess
Old 11-07-2022, 10:05   #41
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Pppfff, owners of old boats love old boats.

Solo'd a 5yr old Bene 331 I bought in the BVI's to Azores, Portugal, Madeira, Azores then on to the UK.. nice boat but, my 31ft 1973 Longbow had more tankage and usable storage than the Bene.. and a thicker hull.
Pffttt all you want, facts are facts..

Old 11-07-2022, 10:16   #42

Quote:

Solo'd a 5yr old Bene 331 I bought in the BVI's to Azores, Portugal, Madeira, Azores then on to the UK.. nice boat but, my 31ft 1973 Longbow had more tankage and usable storage than the Bene.. and a thicker hull.
Pffttt all you want, facts are facts..
Both have very low tankage for circumnavigation, but the difference is 12 liters of diesel ?? Not so much. None of both has ever been designed as blue water cruiser, so i don’t know what the relevance is of your post ? Facts are facts ?
Old 11-07-2022, 10:39   #43
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Both have very low tankage for circumnavigation, but the difference is 12 liters of diesel ?? Not so much. None of both has ever been designed as blue water cruiser, so i don’t know what the relevance is of your post ? Facts are facts ?
None so blind..

Old 11-07-2022, 10:41   #44

Quote:
None so blind..
Thank you, your apologies are accepted
Old 11-07-2022, 10:57   #45

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Quote:
Probably, but is not so important. Important is to have space and stowage and some comfort. These old boats don’t meet that
Modern boats have lots of space but not much storage. I suspect my old 30 has more storage than your bene 43.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bluewater, cruise, cruiser, water