Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: What yacht brand/model do you recommend for my needs?
Hallberg-Rassy 6 35.29%
Najad 3 17.65%
Oyster 2 11.76%
Morgan Catalina 1 5.88%
Amel 6 35.29%
Other (make a comment) 6 35.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2022, 03:37   #1

Boat: Warwick Cardinal 46
Arrow Bluewater cruiser 12m+, EU-taxed

Hi all,

I've been long putting this off and now in the window to buy and prepare to sail around the world. I can't leave the EU/Med yet (work reasons for next 18-24 months), but no reason I can't start the life.

The search begins...

I'm looking for a bluewater yacht (EU taxed) in good enough condition to immediately sail, but I'm ok with it not ready to cross oceans. I do have time and want to upgrade/modify it for the way I like to sail (largely solo or short-handed).

The BHAG (big hairy audacious goal) is to circumnavigate the Med in the next two years whilst working on my business. THEN from 2025 circumnavigate via Cape Horn and Cape of Good Hope and Australia (my homeland).

Budget...How long is piece of string? I know it's all about compromise but you have to start somewhere.

Total budget today is €130-150k, but this includes a basic upgrade package post purchase and basic costs (mooring, insurance, etc...) for 1-2 years. So that means €80-100k for a boat that needs some work to €100-120k for something ready to cruise regionally (Europe).

What I'd like:

Must have: 40ft/12.2m+, Fin keel with full/semi skeg rudder, 2+ cabins, 2x heads (for redundancy), usable/liveable condition,

Should have: Centre cockpit w/ aft cabin, GRP (but open to steel/aluminium), solent or cutter rigged, existing solar/wind for cruising, good sails, all windows/hatches/thru-hulls in good condition, standing rigging is good condition, Global electrical system (prefer not US system)

Nice/ok to have: If not centre cockpit then bow cabin with quarter berth, bow thruster, good dinghy and motor, oversized anchor, new electronics and electrical system.

Europe (with tax paid). If not in Europe, I will consider it, but on a case-by-case basis.

Brands I like (not an exhaustive list): Morgan Catalina, Hallberg-Rassy, Amal, Roberts, Oyster (dreaming), etc... you get the idea...
hugoalexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 04:19   #2

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48
Re: Bluewater cruiser 12m+, EU-taxed

Some people can and have sailed a folk boat or vertue 25 safely around the world,outher s couldn’t manage it in a fully crewed super yacht ,it’s not the yacht it’s the people ,no disrespect intended ,but it’s about you and your crew more than the vsl ⚓️⛵️��
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 04:25   #3

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Moody?
Tupaia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 04:33   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugoalexander View Post
Hi all,

I've been long putting this off and now in the window to buy and prepare to sail around the world. I can't leave the EU/Med yet (work reasons for next 18-24 months), but no reason I can't start the life.

The search begins...

I'm looking for a bluewater yacht (EU taxed) in good enough condition to immediately sail, but I'm ok with it not ready to cross oceans. I do have time and want to upgrade/modify it for the way I like to sail (largely solo or short-handed).

The BHAG (big hairy audacious goal) is to circumnavigate the Med in the next two years whilst working on my business. THEN from 2025 circumnavigate via Cape Horn and Cape of Good Hope and Australia (my homeland).

Budget...How long is piece of string? I know it's all about compromise but you have to start somewhere.

Total budget today is €130-150k, but this includes a basic upgrade package post purchase and basic costs (mooring, insurance, etc...) for 1-2 years. So that means €80-100k for a boat that needs some work to €100-120k for something ready to cruise regionally (Europe).

What I'd like:

Must have: 40ft/12.2m+, Fin keel with full/semi skeg rudder, 2+ cabins, 2x heads (for redundancy), usable/liveable condition,

Should have: Centre cockpit w/ aft cabin, GRP (but open to steel/aluminium), solent or cutter rigged, existing solar/wind for cruising, good sails, all windows/hatches/thru-hulls in good condition, standing rigging is good condition, Global electrical system (prefer not US system)

Nice/ok to have: If not centre cockpit then bow cabin with quarter berth, bow thruster, good dinghy and motor, oversized anchor, new electronics and electrical system.

Europe (with tax paid). If not in Europe, I will consider it, but on a case-by-case basis.

Brands I like (not an exhaustive list): Morgan Catalina, Hallberg-Rassy, Amal, Roberts, Oyster (dreaming), etc... you get the idea...

I’d add contest , Malo, Naijd , but for 40’plus in good nick must brands you mention will be out of reach

Consider certain Bavaria’s ( ocean range ) , 45DS , Beneteau CC range
Old 04-07-2022, 04:56   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Bluewater cruiser 12m+, EU-taxed

The 1st one of the week..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 05:19   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Moody?
Yep, that's on the list too. Unfortunately not been on one yet.
Old 04-07-2022, 05:22   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I’d add contest , Malo, Naijd , but for 40’plus in good nick must brands you mention will be out of reach

Consider certain Bavaria’s ( ocean range ) , 45DS , Beneteau CC range
Najad I have seen up close and like. But yes, for those top brands I'll need to compromise to get something that needs work. Or increase the budget.

I not a fan off the way Bavaria's and Beneteau ride at sea when I've gone coastal with them. I would prefer to stay away from ex-charter boats that have been used and abused.
Old 04-07-2022, 05:24   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searles View Post
Some people can and have sailed a folk boat or vertue 25 safely around the world,outher s couldn’t manage it in a fully crewed super yacht ,it’s not the yacht it’s the people ,no disrespect intended ,but it’s about you and your crew more than the vsl ⚓️⛵️��
Thank you for your valuable insight, no disrespect intended.
Old 04-07-2022, 06:14   #9

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

From past experience of selling boats, I know that what somebody thinks they want is often not anything like what they finally buy. The reason is usually, “Well, the wife likes it.”
With this in mind, I submit my well-known brigantine schooner, which is nothing like what the OP thinks he wants.
For starters, it’s not in the Med’ or EU tax paid. It’s in North Carolina, USA¬—But it can be delivered, and the tax could be arranged…
It also doesn’t have a fin keel, which is a good thing for a circumnavigation because they have a habit of falling off. A full keel with a big bilge for lots of stuff like a big generator, water heater and engine is much better.
It’s also a bit outside his budget, at about $150,000
Other than that it would be his perfect liveaboard, and trade wind sailor, and I’m sure his wife would like it, assuming there is one of course…
Old 04-07-2022, 06:21   #10
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Najad I have seen up close and like. But yes, for those top brands I'll need to compromise to get something that needs work. Or increase the budget.

I not a fan off the way Bavaria's and Beneteau ride at sea when I've gone coastal with them. I would prefer to stay away from ex-charter boats that have been used and abused.

I wouldn’t recommend ex charter but there are plenty of Bavaria’s and Bennys in private hands , some selected models of many of these ranges are well capable of transoceanic voyages ( I know I’ve done a few l) and can represent better value for money
Old 04-07-2022, 07:07   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
From past experience of selling boats, I know that what somebody thinks they want is often not anything like what they finally buy. The reason is usually, “Well, the wife likes it.”
With this in mind, I submit my well-known brigantine schooner, which is nothing like what the OP thinks he wants.
For starters, it’s not in the Med’ or EU tax paid. It’s in North Carolina, USA¬—But it can be delivered, and the tax could be arranged…
It also doesn’t have a fin keel, which is a good thing for a circumnavigation because they have a habit of falling off. A full keel with a big bilge for lots of stuff like a big generator, water heater and engine is much better.
It’s also a bit outside his budget, at about $150,000
Other than that it would be his perfect liveaboard, and trade wind sailor, and I’m sure his wife would like it, assuming there is one of course…
I wouldn't say no to a schooner and actually would be a lot of fun. Would also could make a good floating business (aka tax deduction) Not so worried about the wife's permission, if she doesn't like it, there's always plenty other fish in the sea I'll entertain the idea... do you have a link???
Old 04-07-2022, 07:16   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I wouldn’t recommend ex charter but there are plenty of Bavaria’s and Bennys in private hands , some selected models of many of these ranges are well capable of transoceanic voyages ( I know I’ve done a few l) and can represent better value for money
I've seen a few Oceanis, what do you think?https://www.boat24.com/en/sailboats/...detail/504686/

Not sure it's going to have the tankage or be robust enough to go round both Capes.
Old 04-07-2022, 07:25   #13
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
I've seen a few Oceanis, what do you think?https://www.boat24.com/en/sailboats/...detail/504686/

Not sure it's going to have the tankage or be robust enough to go round both Capes.

The CCs from that era are well built and robust. The bigger Beneteaus 44 CC etc are great

Little is suitable to go around the great capes a friend with both with skip Novak recently and that required sone boat.

Tankage these days is overrated , water can be made and modern boats with good light air sails don’t use much diesel.
Old 04-07-2022, 15:07   #14

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

This website is on the signature.
It's HOME
Old 04-07-2022, 15:21   #15
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Bluewater cruiser 12m+, EU-taxed

You want a good boat over 12metres and cc...
Buy a Westerly Oceanlord..
Only trouble is they're rare as hens teeth on the market.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Westerly_41_Center_Cockpit_For_Sale_Nautilus_Yacht_Management_-_1_of_92_43.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	286.7 KB
ID:	260540  

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bluewater, cruise, cruiser, water