Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2022, 01:37   #1

Boat Finance

Hi

I've taken an option an this beautiful 60' sailboat. I like it a lot, and am very motivated to go through with this. The thing is, freeing up budget may take more time then I have to pay the boat in full.
Currently the vessel is in France. I need about 50.000 €, which is 25% of the total boat cost.

The reason for needing a finance is that, selling our appartment will take a month or 2, and I have 2 more weeks to pay for the boat...

I'm not a fan of regular banks, and they are not a fan of mine, that is because my income is rather high, but also irregular. Most banks require a monthly paycheck, which I don't have.

If you have an idea or can help my family to live our dream, please comment or pm !
love
A
Old 15-06-2022, 08:31   #2

Re: Boat Finance

If you have other assets you can often borrow against them regardless of income. You can take out a loan against the equity in your apartment or a margin loan against your securities portfolio if it's just a short term bridge. You might also ask the seller if they would consider a seller's note, although that might be harder in today's seller's market.
Old 15-06-2022, 20:27   #3

Boat: 2000 Jeanneau, 45.2

Request sounds a bit odd. What are you pledging as collateral against the 50K Euro advance? What return are you offering on the loan. Absent this information, sounds a bit sketchy IMHO.
Old 15-06-2022, 21:19   #4

So your income is "rather high" but cant round up 50G.

What about a "go fund me" thing on the internet?
Old 15-06-2022, 22:18   #5

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Cash advance against a couple of credit cards?
Old 15-06-2022, 23:34   #6

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
Cash advance against a couple of credit cards?
Or pay with the credit cards if the boat is sold by a broker.
Old 16-06-2022, 02:20   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanneau 45.2 View Post
What are you pledging as collateral against the 50K Euro advance? What return are you offering on the loan.
As I said in the OP, I al selling an appartment. This appartment can be in collateral if needed, and the loan will be paid back as soon as the appartment gets sold.
I prefer a p2p loan. Where I live banks require a monthly paycheck for any loan. As an investor I don't have that: I have months that I make a LOT, and I have months that I make nothing. I offer 9% yearly interest, with a maximum term of 12 months.

I'm already paying 150k-160k out of my pocket, which makes me fall 50k short today. The appartment will free up 140k for me, but it won't be in time to pay the sailboat...
Old 16-06-2022, 02:50   #8

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I’d be interested, but the interest rate is way too low. Not worth all the trouble and hassle of setting up the deal. Plus, prefer domestic deals for something like this.
Old 16-06-2022, 02:55   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanneau 45.2 View Post
Request sounds a bit odd. What are you pledging as collateral against the 50K Euro advance? What return are you offering on the loan. Absent this information, sounds a bit sketchy IMHO.
Collateral for a 50 grand "loan" to "help his family to live their dream"? What on earth for? /s

Maybe my older age made me more cynical than I should be but that line set off a great many alarm bells for me.
Old 16-06-2022, 04:42   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
Collateral for a 50 grand "loan" to "help his family to live their dream"? What on earth for? /s
for a fair intrest of course
Old 16-06-2022, 05:51   #11
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Approach your bank for a bridging loan.
Old 16-06-2022, 06:18   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Approach your bank for a bridging loan.
From his OP... "I'm not a fan of regular banks, and they are not a fan of mine, that is because my income is rather high, but also irregular. Most banks require a monthly paycheck, which I don't have."
Old 16-06-2022, 23:12   #13
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Boat Finance

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
From his OP... "I'm not a fan of regular banks, and they are not a fan of mine, that is because my income is rather high, but also irregular. Most banks require a monthly paycheck, which I don't have."

Banks look at repayment ability and if you can show over a several year time period that you have sufficient combined income it shouldn’t be a problem , banks don’t really care about month to month they care that overall you have the repayment ability

Also with bridging you dont repay till the end.
Old 17-06-2022, 05:03   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Banks look at repayment ability and if you can show over a several year time period that you have sufficient combined income it shouldn’t be a problem , banks don’t really care about month to month they care that overall you have the repayment ability

Also with bridging you dont repay till the end.
I'm not the Original Poster. I was simply pointing out his account of the situation... pun intended.
Old 17-06-2022, 07:03   #15
CLOD

Boat: none

Maybe a Nigerian Prince

Tags
boat