Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2019, 23:56   #1

Boat: Lagoon 42
Boat share syndicate catamaran

Hi all, I’m wondering if there are families interested in forming a syndicate to buy a used Lagoon 440 or Leopard 44 for the following (suggested) plan:
One season Greece, one season turkey, one season Balearics then do the ARC and either sell the boat or agree to continue for a few more seasons in the Caribbean.
We are an experienced sailing family (ex live aboards) with a 5y old son. A syndicate of 3 like minded families would be best. I’d be interested to hear from anyone who likes the idea. It’s just an idea at the moment.
Thank you.
Sander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2019, 07:03   #2

Re: Boat share syndicate catamaran

We are looking to buy our first boat(family of 4) and have discussed a similar situation. Most couples, we run into, would not be able to handle months aboard. Our family could if data connections were available during most days. We both work remotely.
bergmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2019, 08:09   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergmd View Post
We are looking to buy our first boat(family of 4) and have discussed a similar situation. Most couples, we run into, would not be able to handle months aboard. Our family could if data connections were available during most days. We both work remotely.
Hi, yes I think it would be very difficult to find families that can agree on several consecutive months on board that suit everyone. Generally a syndicate will allocate a number of weeks to each participant and then they choose in turn and rotate the first choice every year. In our case we are pretty flexible as we also work remotely.
But there is also the issue of location to be agreed, if in the Med data connections are pretty good all over, especially now that 5G is being rolled out.
Old 02-08-2019, 13:11   #4

I'm delighted to see your post.We may be interested .We have been actively looking to join a syndicate in the med,but having chartered a few cats this would be our preferred option.Syndicates for Cats seem to be few and far between
Scots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 14:17   #5

Hi all, thank you for the replies, we have been developing the idea and see 2 options, one of which we had not considered previously.
In more detail:

1. a syndicate of 3 or 4 families buy a used Cat, for example an ex charter 4 cabin Lagoon 440, for €260k including refit and annual running costs of around €30k.
2. a syndicate of 4 families buy a NEW Lagoon 42 and have the syndicate agreement and boat managed by ANCASTA. In this scenario the boat would be 70% financed meaning a down payment of €40k per family and running costs of €1.6k per month per family. After X years the boat is sold.
See link here: https://ancasta.com/boats-for-sale/n...goon/42/33522/
(this deal can be made cheaper, I have details)

Overall scenario 1 is financially more efficient but scenario 2 is not a lot more expensive for a new boat.
In both cases the syndicate would be able to agree a multi year schedule as per my example: Greece, Turkey, Balearics, ARC Rally, Caribbean...
We have a lot of experience living abroad and have owned 5 boats, new and used. We are open to suggestions and alternatives. Thank you.
Old 08-12-2020, 01:04   #6

Any interesting new development?
Same idea crossed my mind. That got me here.
etoimene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 02:06   #7

Boat: Catalina 18, Looking for Larger!

I am interested but find these things usually fall apart when its time to hammer out details.
jmc42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:25   #8

Hi, strangely enough we have this week made some progress on this.
We have a syndicate of 3 moving forward with a 46/48 foot catamaran in the Med. We have a couple of families interested in the 4th share but are already moving ahead now in order to be ready for next spring.
Boat will likely be either a Leopard 46 or a Salina 48 and be based in Mallorca / Ibiza at least first season and then possibly a season in Greece and another in Turkey before doing the ARC and selling or extending the agreement in the Caribbean.
Old 28-12-2020, 08:16   #9

Congratulations hope it works out well for all involved. I would love a similar deal in Florida, the Bahamas, and the Caribbean.
Iaangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 19:32   #10

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Does anybody have any intel to share on whether I should worry about Customs issues on a boat with 3-4 owners that is on temporary import (EU) or cruising license (US) and is used by an owner that is not the same owner that brought the boat into the US/EU?

This would be a UK-flagged boat, owned by 4 partners who live outside the US/EU.
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2023, 15:52   #11

Boat: 2021 Elba 45

Hi all:

I am in process of putting together a syndicate (2 more owner's for a total of 3 counting me, a little under 4 months a year each, leaving time for service etc.) on my 2021 Elba 45 Maestro - the boat is absolutely incredible, loaded with every option imaginable, never chartered and currently based in the Caribbean. We are open to discussion on the sailing plan and also have some flexibility on dates of use. We would plan to sell the boat in 5 years .

Feel free to pm me if you have interest.
timetorelax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, catamaran