Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2022, 03:02   #16

Boat: custom 42' catamaran
Re: catamaran in the Philippines

Hi Pete! I don't really know anything about the Weiss World, it was just tied next to me. Seems that it had some kind of insect infestation as it was fumigated with some work done a year or two ago. Yes, the keel is retractable which is why it was put near the catamarans in shallow water - when the wind comes up it rolls severely, I and the owner of the cat on the other side were worried during a recent typhoon and we both had to tie it to our cats to stop the dangerous rolling - the big red steel mast can be an issue in these conditions. Have a good day.
Bruce626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 05:15   #17

At the time of the repower she was in cruising trim and looked really smart, but that was probably 8-10 years ago. I remember the red mast but was unaware that it was steel, thanks for the information, I hope you have success with the sale of your cat.
skipperpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 19:13   #18

Boat: Southerly, 51 cutter , swing keel

Here is a link on the Southerly 14, Weiss World.

Skipper Pete, photos on the link below show a good engine view. The owner did tell me it was repowered but not much other detail.

Bruse 626, since you are next door, you may have knowledge or the near sinking on this boat. Owner told me nearby yachties at Zekes I think, noticed it low in the water and saved it.

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for...erly-14/284132

Honestly, I'm trying hard to talk myself out of it, but im still on schedule to be there on Jan 26 to see it again. Im reading so much on surveying, but also looking for any first hand knowledge and anyone there who can help me onboard the vessel in Jan / Feb.

Tim
kaivai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 22:17   #19

Hi there Kaivai, thanks for the link, the engine looks a bit scruffy, especially the mounts but a day or so in there with a wire brush and some rust converter would fix er up. The new engine job happened in the next bay to me on the hardstand at Rebak marina, I was going to do the job but was too busy at that specific time so a local Malaysian guy did it instead. ( a quite good mechanic). The gearbox really was a huge issue, over 2° down angle at the front end and Yanmar don’t allow that so another gearbox was quickly purchased . Finally it was all done and looked really good but on the sea trial the Maxprop pitch was wrong and from memory it took 3 consecutive lifts to get the pitch right. Apart from that the only other thing I remember about Weiss World was having an ice cold vodka and tonic in that cockpit with the owner...... and the red mast.
Old 13-01-2023, 10:19   #20

Hello Bruce626!

Kaivai here, Plan on being in Carmen in another 10 days or so (Jan 26th) to check out Weiss World, Karl Weiss - the owner, in tow. Hopefully its still afloat. Are you still there? If so would love to meet you! I'm sure to have a hard learning curve on getting around there, etc. At this point my plan is to buy this boat and get it back in shape. Will right away try and deal with the keel and possible move it to deeper water if that's best, or discuss that with you if you are there. I understand the story about the mast and the rocking so hopefully I can get it in a better situation. Tim
Old 13-01-2023, 10:22   #21

skipperpete, You are most correct in the red mast and the hard liquor. Cold drinks were more important than diesel and water on this yacht! Never en evening passed at sea without the gen set chilling the freezer for ice and powering the dvd for a movie to share with the drinks. Tim
Old 07-02-2023, 20:40   #22

Skipper Pete, its a yanmar straight drive with maxiprop and swing keel. Southerly 145 cutter rig, 1986 with very little to nothing online about it. Only a few were built. Im the new owner. Its been sitting 4-5 years but is cleaning up well. Long punch list but its got great bones. Sitting in the Marina at Zeke's in Danao.
Old 04-04-2023, 22:47   #23

Just a quick update - I was recently offered $20K for the boat which I think is too low. It did make me think about how low I am willing to go - perhaps $30K so I can return to the US and get a new battery for my pacemaker. The Beta 38 engine/transmission/prop with less than 800 hours on it cost me almost that much plus installation. The Airline hooka, small outboard, fishing gear, stainless bits, and other stuff that will not fly back to the USA is all still onboard currently. Have a good day.
Old 07-04-2023, 09:34   #24

Hello Bruce and Skipper Pete,

Greetings from Tacoma.

I did manage to buy the 50ft cutter rig Weiss World (just did the paperwork on it in Seattle yesterday).

After Spending 6 weeks in Cebu its looking much better! Will be back this year late summer or fall.

Bruce, I read somewhere you had an offer on your boat, But now I don't see that thread anywhere. How did / is it going?

Tim
Old 07-04-2023, 17:50   #25

Hi Tim! Yes, the ex-owner of the Rajah (small cat) which he recently sold offered $20K which I thought low. I countered with $30K, low enough for a local who could use my cat as an overnight charter as it could easily sleep 10 in the four queen berths and salon - something I am not licensed to do here. Good luck with your return trip. Have a good day.
Old 07-04-2023, 19:52   #26

Got it Bruce,

All the best to you there. May see you in a few months, more or less.

Tim
Old 07-04-2023, 20:45   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaivai View Post
Hello Bruce and Skipper Pete,

Greetings from Tacoma.

I did manage to buy the 50ft cutter rig Weiss World (just did the paperwork on it in Seattle yesterday).

After Spending 6 weeks in Cebu its looking much better! Will be back this year late summer or fall.

Bruce, I read somewhere you had an offer on your boat, But now I don't see that thread anywhere. How did / is it going?

Tim

Congratulations on your new boat Tim, I’ll keep a lookout for the red mast next time I’m in that part of the sea. Here’s an old photo at the time of her engine change at Rebak marina, Langkawi. [ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3087.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	308.9 KB
ID:	273850  
Old 09-04-2023, 19:08   #28

My catamaran has now been sold - if the payments go through smoothly I no longer have a place to live after ten+ years on the boat. I am expecting a lot of turmoil for a while until I get resettled in the States - perhaps in Rapid City, SD so no more cruising. Thanks to everyone who read my posts and commented. May you all have fine weather and the wind at your back as you sail into your future.
Old 11-04-2023, 12:57   #29

CONGRATUATIONS BRUCE!!!

Next to the day you bought it, this is suppose to be the best day of your boating life!

All the best to you!

Tim

Tags
catamaran, Philippines