Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2020, 19:35   #1

Boat: Formosa 56
Formosa 56 in Hawaii

1983 Formosa 56 Fin keel Cutter Ketch for sale in Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii, USA.

Fantastic 63 foot / 19.2 m blue water cruiser with a fin keel for great open water stability and maneuverability in close quarters (she can spin in place).
The Cutter Ketch rig can easily be short-handed, and I mostly single-handed her on our trip with my wife and children from California to French Polynesia through to Hawaii.
Roller furler on foresail, inner hanked-on inner foresail with self-tacking boom, mainsail with lazy-jacks, and mizzen sail.

Plenty of space and beautiful teak woodwork, making this both a capable ocean vessel and beautiful home on the water with three cabins for privacy, and room to stand and spread out.
The downtown Honolulu location makes it great for enjoying the beach, weather, dining and amenities, but also provides an amazing starting point to venture out.

We have since settled down on Oahu and our focus has shifted to other activities and hobbies.
"Gryphon" is conveniently moored in a slip in Honolulu, and we have her listed for sale for $140,000 USD with our broker: Kokua Yacht Sales.

Please see the Kokua Yacht Sales listing for the Formosa 56 "Gryphon" for more pictures, details and contact information, or PM me.
Thank you for looking and have a great day!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gyphon_1.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	229312  
sailingdutchboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 13:13   #2

Re: Formosa 56 in Hawaii

Beautiful boat, can you tell me about the engine and transmission I don't see any information on this in the ad other then the make and model. What's she got for hours, works done, etc. Also does she have a gen set or high output alternator, hours on gen set, etc? Does she have a life raft and what's it's status? When was the bottom job done that was mentioned in the ad? Besides the tired sails and antenna that needs attention is there any other works that need to be completed for example hatches and portlights that need to be rebeded or replaced, etc
Irefuse2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 15:08   #3

Hello and Thank you.
Gryphon has a 6-cylinder Ford Lehman 2715E 120 HP diesel engine with alternator and Borg Warner Velvet Drive.
Although she currently does not have a generator, there is a whole separate genset engine compartment and exhaust ready for one.
An Interlux Interprotect epoxy barrier coating with Red Trinidad SR antifouling paint was applied in 2013 to the Hull Bottom.
We have removed and stored the older liferaft from Gryphon.
For extended foul weather sailing, I would consider replacing some hatch seals.
She is in good shape for her age.
Old 11-05-2021, 19:23   #4

For anyone looking for a blue water cruiser and contemplating a trip to Hawaii, a simple test makes traveling easy. Checkout "Safe Travels Hawaiʻi", a good place to start is: https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel/. "Gryphon" is a 1983 Formosa 56 Fin keel Cutter Ketch located in Honolulu and can easily accommodate 9.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ext_PrtBow.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	202.2 KB
ID:	238223  
Old 19-05-2021, 21:34   #5

So last time out of water was 2013?
LastExit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2021, 11:03   #6

Correct.
Old 20-05-2021, 14:24   #7

I was very interested in her but a little scared now, rigging, sails, gen, galley need lots of work and no real hull service in 8 years,, it’s a real project in the making,, and that trim left on deck its all screwed, if you ever put a better price on her let me know but a conservative figure on fixes will be a $100k and probably $150k and top end of value on her is $210k. But she is a looker with great layout, ps I’ve tried your broker several times this week with no reply so I’d say broker needs replacement too
LastExit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2021, 18:50   #8

Hi LastExit,
Sure, she needs some things, and what exactly depends on your intended use and personal preferences. How much it costs, depends what you decide is a priority and on how you approach working on it. She is a wonderful vessel that has served us well and in a reasonably good shape in my opinion.
Old 06-06-2021, 14:37   #9
KBW

Hello
We have noticed your listing that the Gryphon is for sale and reached out to your broker in Honolulu-
Could you comment on the fin keel? Is it encapsulated or a bolt on?
We’ve enjoyed reading your post thank you
K
QUOTE=sailingdutchboy;3305557]1983 Formosa 56 Fin keel Cutter Ketch for sale in Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii, USA.

Fantastic 63 foot / 19.2 m blue water cruiser with a fin keel for great open water stability and maneuverability in close quarters (she can spin in place).
The Cutter Ketch rig can easily be short-handed, and I mostly single-handed her on our trip with my wife and children from California to French Polynesia through to Hawaii.
Roller furler on foresail, inner hanked-on inner foresail with self-tacking boom, mainsail with lazy-jacks, and mizzen sail.

Plenty of space and beautiful teak woodwork, making this both a capable ocean vessel and beautiful home on the water with three cabins for privacy, and room to stand and spread out.
The downtown Honolulu location makes it great for enjoying the beach, weather, dining and amenities, but also provides an amazing starting point to venture out.

We have since settled down on Oahu and our focus has shifted to other activities and hobbies.
"Gryphon" is conveniently moored in a slip in Honolulu, and we have her listed for sale for $140,000 USD with our broker: Kokua Yacht Sales.

Please see the Kokua Yacht Sales listing for the Formosa 56 "Gryphon" for more pictures, details and contact information, or PM me.
Thank you for looking and have a great day![/QUOTE]
KBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 15:46   #10

Hello K (KWB),

Thank you for your interest.

The keel is encapsulated within the GRP (fiberglass) hull.

Have a great weekend,
Frans.
Old 06-06-2021, 15:54   #11
KBW

Could we connect with a private message?
Kbw8165@gmail.com
KBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 22:47   #12

Yes, PM in this forum.
Old 17-06-2021, 14:02   #13

Boat: 1980 Cal 39

What an incredibly gorgeous boat!
Cap Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2021, 20:52   #14

Thank you Cap Morgan!
Old 17-06-2021, 22:24   #15

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastExit View Post
I was very interested in her but a little scared now, rigging, sails, gen, galley need lots of work and no real hull service in 8 years,, it’s a real project in the making,, and that trim left on deck its all screwed, if you ever put a better price on her let me know but a conservative figure on fixes will be a $100k and probably $150k and top end of value on her is $210k. But she is a looker with great layout, ps I’ve tried your broker several times this week with no reply so I’d say broker needs replacement too
I'm wondering if you somehow imagine that you would buy any boat, used, that it would not need something. A 56' boat for $140,000? Pretty good deal if you ask me. No matter what boat you buy (or tire kick) eventually you will have some major refit. It's just the way it is. Anything over 35ft. in length, by the time you finish "the list", it';s usually time to start over again. "A real project in the making"? Please show a little respect to the seller.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
formosa, hawaii