Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2022, 19:21   #31

Re: Four Cabin Catamaran

It is as long as the price is a typo($7,800?).
BG305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2022, 09:28   #32

I was you 30 years ago andIve researched this for 30 years (except i was single and poor). I get your dream. Im guessing you have 2+ kids, want to liveaboard a cat probably on the hook or find some hidden nook to beach on etc. An apartment on the ocean.

So in order to be positive:
You can do what you want kinda IF you can move. If you and partner are tied to jobs w kids and cant move... You might be able to go inland and find someone willing to rent you land to liveaboard an old cat that needs a lot of work or build your own for the next 3-5 years. People do both. They live CHEAP, work on their boat every night, shop the used gear and boat graveyards etc. You can even buy full hulls dirt cheap people have spent 5 years building before they gave up. This is work, years and all your spare cash.. but once your done everyone who meets you on your boat is going to be in awe.

Second choice and the smart one is forget cats and having that much space.
You can get a 50ish monohull for about 50k that needs work. Probably a lot less but the work needed will go up exponentially. Probably sleep 6 people packed in. Like a Tiny 1br apartment.

Sailing Teulu on youtube did ALMOST what you want. They worked and saved every penny for a few years, bought a 40' cat and worked on it for im guessing a year. Wild guess they paid 100k. Not sure what they do for money but they were in a slip in UK so ..$$. And theres a WORLD of difference between a 40 and a 50.

To actually get exactly this.. and people have done it.. youd need to find a yard that will let you liveaboard or a land to put it on while you work then spend the next few years working on basically an old cat that needs shitloads of work and lots of $$$

The other option is to cut your lifestyle back radically and save 25k. Sounds like a lot but if you cut back the 1000 luxuries (eating out, fast food for lunch, that latte, going out, buying Anything you dont actually need) you could probably save 25k in a year or two. But.. i dont think you realise what it costs to keep a 40' cat

Id look at monohulls and mentally rework how much space you can live in in your head. If what youre really looking to do to escape grinding so rich landlords can live on 60' cats ... honestly you need to move to a lower cost of living area and save
cdreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2022, 09:56   #33

The OP's 'dream' is going to become the families nightmare. Just to summarize a few bullets:

1) 2-3 teenaged children

2) No equity (rents current domicile)

3) No credit (either bad credit or a bad debt-to-income ratio)

4) No saiing experience.

I would estimate that I spend roughly a minimum of $1,000/month between storage and maintenance. That doesn't cover any 'big' hits.

I ask a single, simple question to any prospective new owner.

What is your gut reaction to being given a $10,000 invoice?

A) OMG! WTF!!?? How am I going to pay for this.

B) Oh man, this is going to hurt. I had that money ear-marked for something else.

C) Arg! Oh well, It is what it is.

If option "A" or if you can't cough up $10k tomorrow with little notice, then large boat ownership is not for you.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2022, 11:11   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
The OP's 'dream' is going to become the families nightmare. Just to summarize a few bullets:

1) 2-3 teenaged children

2) No equity (rents current domicile)

3) No credit (either bad credit or a bad debt-to-income ratio)

4) No saiing experience.

I would estimate that I spend roughly a minimum of $1,000/month between storage and maintenance. That doesn't cover any 'big' hits.

I ask a single, simple question to any prospective new owner.

What is your gut reaction to being given a $10,000 invoice?

A) OMG! WTF!!?? How am I going to pay for this.

B) Oh man, this is going to hurt. I had that money ear-marked for something else.

C) Arg! Oh well, It is what it is.

If option "A" or if you can't cough up $10k tomorrow with little notice, then large boat ownership is not for you.
He has good credit. Your other points are valid. Im trying to be positive .. he asked a specific question and all of our reaction is "you can't afford this" not making suggestions. Ive had threads like that where the forum grumps babble about "it cant be done". His problem sounds to me like it's a family of 4. People have done this with a family and made it fun and lifechanging but... theyd basically have to move somewhere cheaper and sacrifice. And er if they want to keep those jobs theyll need a slip that for a 40 foot cat in Cali.. ouch! Hopefully he researchs more, adjusts his goals and finds a way
cdreid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabin, catamaran