Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2024, 11:53   #1

Boat: 1986 Caliber 28
Freedom 21 (St Petersburg, FL)

Fully refit shoal draft 1983 Freedom 21 with new outboard and sails. Located in St Pete, FL (willing to deliver near Tampa Bay) and asking $10,500.

More / higher-resolution photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/xb5pqvh43JNwhmcZ6

DESCRIPTION

Unique freestanding carbon fiber mast for a simple and easy rig with no stays/chainplates. The boat is designed from the ground up for shorthanded sailing, with every line running back to the cockpit. Single-line reefing and lazy-jacks allow you to reef from the safety of the cockpit in heavy weather. The boat sails great under main alone, but the 113% jib is easy to fly with no winch grinding necessary. Even the spinnaker can be set, flown, and doused without leaving the cockpit. The ‘tabernacle’ mast hinge at the deck makes the mast easy to take down and enables trailering (no trailer included).

The 2.5-ft draft makes this the perfect boat for exploring shallow waters near Tampa Bay, while the new sails and custom-designed jib make this a quicker boat than any other Freedom 21 out there. Plenty of storage, oversized ground tackle, bunks for four, and a freshwater sink make for a perfect pocket weekender.

I am a mechanical engineer and I love working on the boat. So I have rebuilt every system on the boat and tweaked everything to optimize the sailing experience. She is turnkey ready for daysailing, weekend cruising, or even light racing.

UPGRADES & EQUIPMENT
  • 2019 Mercury 3.5 HP long shaft outboard with annual engine oil/gear oil/spark plug changes. Starts and runs perfectly every time. New Panther adjustable outboard motor mount bracket
  • 2022 Sail Technologies full-battened fat-top dacron mainsail with two reef points, tapered battens
  • 2023 Sail Technologies laminate 113% free-flying jib with carbon reinforcing, dyneema luff wire, auto-flaking downhaul setup
  • 2023 bottom job with Pettit Trinidad 75 hard paint; monthly diver cleanings since. No below-waterline through-hulls or zincs to worry about
  • Older symmetrical spinnaker with Freedom ‘gun mount’ rig, singlehandable from the cockpit
  • Oversized Rocna 6 galvanized anchor with 10 ft of chain and 250 ft of marked rope. Spare 8 lb Danforth anchor with 60 ft of rope
  • Rudder rebuilt in 2023: fully replaced attachment hardware, tiller, and tiller extension; gelcoat repaired and faired; epoxy barrier coat
  • Portlight windows replaced with new acrylic in 2021
  • 2022 Lewmar #6 cabintop winches
  • Harken 3:1 traveler system with new end stops and cam cleats
  • 2024 Relion 20Ah lithium battery, 50W solar panel, Renogy charge controller
  • 2023 Attwood bilge pump and new hoses
  • 2024 Standard Horizon VHF fixed mount radio with DSC and GPS
  • Instruments: 2024 HawkEye depthfinder, GPS speed & course display
  • Tillerpilot autopilot for GPS-based autopilot; Tillerclutch for easily locking the tiller in place
  • All electrical wiring fully replaced in 2021 to ABYC standards with new fuse panel, marine grade wire, heat shrink terminals, etc. Up to date wiring diagram included
  • Dyneema core main and jib halyards. All running rigging lines and nearly all blocks/cleats have been replaced in the last three years
  • All deck hardware has been removed and re-bedded with new fasteners and oversized FRP backing plates in the last three years
  • 2024 dyneema lifelines; jacklines for tethering when offshore/singlehanded sailing
  • 2022 custom Sunbrella bimini, tiller cover, cockpit organizer bags
  • 2022 new Starboard companionway hatch boards
  • Original plastic cabintop hatch replaced 2022 with refurbished Lewmar Ocean aluminum hatch
  • Safety equipment: fire extinguisher, first aid kit, flare-replacement SOS light, two inflatable PFDs, throwable cushion, whistle, air horn
  • Manual pump sink with 5-gallon bladder tank, camping stove
  • Updated West Florida PHRF certification for racing

CONCERNS

The boat is refit and ready to sail. There are a few remaining noncritical items I haven't yet addressed:
  • The jib halyard exit block on the mast is frozen and needs to be replaced. The sail still hoists easily so this is not urgent. Included with the sale is two aluminum Harken 40mm Protexit blocks (allowing upgrading the main halyard block at the same time) which just need to be installed - a very quick job but requires taking the mast down, which I haven’t been able to do alone
  • The unstayed mast has a small amount of play at the deck step, allowing the mast to shift slightly when not loaded (ie, when the boom is not attached). It’s structurally fine, but this movement could wear the mast surface down over time so it should be shimmed to fit snug again
  • Lifeline stanchions are solid but have some stress cracking on the interior and should be rebedded with backing plates
  • Cosmetics: she’s clean, but could use a coat of paint on the interior. Cabin cushions are original and worn but functional

More / higher-resolution photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/xb5pqvh43JNwhmcZ6
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20240505_192353529.MP.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	431.8 KB
ID:	289725   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20240503_164605856.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	409.4 KB
ID:	289726  

iansan5653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2024, 07:40   #2

Boat: 1986 Caliber 28
Re: Freedom 21 (St Petersburg, FL)

I guess I can't edit the post, but I'm reducing the asking price to $9,500 (it's been only a day here but I've had it on some other sites for a while longer)
iansan5653 is offline   Reply With Quote