Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2021, 11:52   #1

Boat: Hans Christian 41T
Hans Christian 41 - WTB

There are quite a few Hans Christians on the market right now and was wondering if there are others for sale that are not on YachtWorld?

Thanks in advance,

Steve
swhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2021, 12:20   #2

Re: Hans Christian 41 - WTB

There's a 52 for sale in Seattle "best offer" by an auction house.
It's a later one too 1998
https://skagit.craigslist.org/bod/d/...354732734.html

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2021, 12:23   #3

Oh man! That looks sweet! Thanks.
Old 13-08-2021, 12:29   #4

Located in California I guess. On line auction in Sept. Unlike most Hans it's a fast Doug Peterson design yet built to Hans quality. man I wish I needed a boat!
Lots of info here:
https://www.westauction.com/auction/...ailboat-380476

Old 13-08-2021, 14:05   #5

Lots of boat and someone is gonna get a deal!
Old 13-08-2021, 17:51   #6

The 41T is my favorite of the Hans Christian line-up.
Old 13-08-2021, 23:37   #7

Boat: Landfall 39 - Ron Amy

One right here... https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...1t-254028.html
Oeanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2021, 07:02   #8

We tried to buy that boat but they already had a contract on it and we weren't able to best it. Looking for others that may not be listed on Yachtworld.
Old 14-08-2021, 11:05   #9
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

The West Auction boat "True Blood" must've been spec'd by an experienced long range cruiser. She has the stuff you wanted in 1999, and none of the fluff. cabin layouts, galley, and long "bridge deck" to companionway is good for blue water. (but the steep companion way ladder and long bridge deck is a bitch for day sailing or live aboard). Great design hull. top-drawer engines and parts all round. Not many HC's with wing keels either.

looks like it was really loved at times.

HCs at this age, irrespective of engine hours, can have lots of bothersome leaks from: deck/ hull joint (under the teak toe rail and a bitch); screws through teak deck into the core; stanchions have corrosion and can be a real pain to remove, clean, or repair depending on how they were first installed; ports and hatches need rebedding.

I see enough corrosion on the stainless and under the powder coat to imagine you need absolute inspection and possible replace of chain plates, all tangs, all swaging and standing rigging, life lines, throttle and rudder control. Corrosion around Yanmar water pump">raw water pump means there's a lot more elsewhere, probably the NL generator too. 22 years with salt water is pretty good life. working on the engine and most of the plumbing/ wiring will be a challenge because of tight locations - don't rule out needing major surgery to remove furniture/ interior pieces to work on or replace things.

if one display, appliance, or instrument doesn't work it's nigh impossible to find parts or replacement, which means all new systems, or you just go without, or use an iPad for everything. otherwise you must replace entire systems, backbone, plumbing, network blah blah blah.

I love all the canvas covers on the topside brightwork as well as cockpit enclosure. the few feet of brightwork visible is pretty ugly; that could run $25k to have it stripped and rebuilt up again and would look stunning. or leave the covers on. the boat probably deserves to have its teak trim beautiful again.

KVH equipment is impossibly old. toilets look newer. stove looks corroded. electrical panel has been having problems as you can see with the replaced breakers and scratches from remove and repair. all mattresses and seat foam is long past retirement age. otherwise the interior is beautiful. I always love HC work below, and the layout is simply superb if you will be traveling to far away places for a long time.

Wow, furling main and jib like this were advanced in 1998! you might be able to get parts, I couldn't tell what brand they are.

Lifting the sole boards to see the bilge the tank tops and hoses look OK, but the gunk and hair that has rotted on the side edges tells me that the capt and crew rarely cleaned inside, so a lot more detritus from cooking and living is laying in the bilges below and you likely have an odor and mildew problem until you can clean it - the problem is getting to the gunk. Everything on a boat of this design is tightly packed to keep her slim, fast, and beautiful.

If I was in good health to cruise Mexico and the South Pacific I'd go take a look at her before bidding. Lots to love if you want a BIG project.

I've done a few project boats and it's always more expensive and difficult than imagined BUT once you're done you truly know the boat. You can fix anything and sail with the confidence that you earned through $$ expense and hard labor.
Old 14-08-2021, 11:10   #10

We tried to buy that boat but they already had a contract on it and we weren't able to best it. Looking for others that may not be listed on Yachtworld.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oeanda View Post
Old 14-08-2021, 16:18   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphony View Post

HCs at this age, irrespective of engine hours, can have lots of bothersome leaks from: deck/ hull joint (under the teak toe rail and a bitch); .
HC's have plenty places to leak, the hull deck joint is generally not one of them.
Quote:
Caleb_Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2021, 23:53   #12

Boat: Hans Christian 41

I would sell my Hans Christian 41 (1992) if you are interested. I am stuck at home in Europe while she is stored ashore in the Chesapeake, being looked after by the marina. If you are serious then pm me for a chat.

I did post her before but decided i loved her too much to sell, but Covid and international travel has disrupted my plans.

New price is $145,000, I have a survey from last year valuing her at $140,000, no problems noted, very positive survey.

Here is a link to my advert a couple of years ago, ignore the price, it is now as above.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...-a-206475.html
Sulaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2021, 08:10   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb_Grey View Post
HC's have plenty places to leak, the hull deck joint is generally not one of them.
Totally agree, not seen leaks. Maybe in the early HC34 which was a HC in name only, built at a different yard etc.
Additionally the decks are built using small squares of core with filled resin in between to avoid extensive water intrusion.

Old 15-08-2021, 09:49   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhall View Post
Just a reminder -- It's not over until the papers are signed and money changes hands!
Laughing Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2021, 11:43   #15
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb_Grey View Post
Caleb, thanks for including the HC advertisement, it was really cool to see it.
I raced/ sailed Alamitos Bay Long Beach where the HC dealer had his docks in the 1980s. they were selling well until the 1987 crash.

yes, the deck joint diagram looks great but there are a lot of screws involved ("fastened"). the screws suffer crevice corrosion. When you try to back them out they break. Original fabrication screwing the pieces together is super strong, but after decades is a leak producer on the decks, toe rails, stanchions, rub-rails, pulpits, etc. It can all be fixed.

Both boats I knew with this problem were in SoCal (Long Beach and San Pedro) and were approx 25 years old: a 33C and a 38C. In generally good condition for the age and amount of wood to maintain. The teak got old, unvarnished, cracking in the sun, and let water in. The 33C had a blog of his rebuild, if my mind was tighter I'd remember the name. If I was purchasing any HC I'd spend a few days searching for old blogs. There are many awesome people who document their work and share for all.

I loved the Christina version too.
whatever boat you get will require fixing. just get one.

Thanks for this thread!