Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2018, 11:49   #16

Boat: Tayana 42
Re: In Search of My Future

I have an unusual situation. I bought a Tayana 42 aft cockpit last year with the idea of cruising. I am 67 now and did not realize my own limits physically. Getting to the point: The boat is on the hard in St. Marys, GA. It had been under refit for over 3 years in a DIY marina in West Palm Beach, FL and I brought it up to St. Marys last year. It's just been sitting. The guy who owned the boat did a ton of refit including a brand 54 Yanmar, brand new fuel tanks etc. I had been living the last 23 years in Prague, Czech Repbublic and had owned a Bayfield 32 when I was in my 30ies and 40ies, thus dreaming of having a boat when I came back to the USA. I got sick last year as well as other circumstances forces me to sell the boat. If you are interested my email is mbiv2000@gmail.com and my phone is 904-945-3827. I am leaving to Europe on Nov. 5 returning on Jan 8th 2019.
Mike Blount
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SV Capable 1.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	410.8 KB
ID:	179551  
mbiv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 12:06   #17

Boat: wauquaiz Hood 38

Stop on Cape Cod and forget about going further south, I have a Wauquiez Hood 38 for sail. I mean SALE. the price is negotiable.
look on Boat Trader for Listing ID: 6806085
1985 Wauquiez Hood 38 MK II

Listing ID: 6806085
dbcape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 13:40   #18

Boat: Valiant 40
In Search of My Future

As far as Valiant 40’s go this has some nice stuff for the price, assuming the base boat is well taken care of:

http://www.breweryacht.com/boat/1990/valiant/40/1869/

Sails and electronics might be dated but has some pricy fitting out; arch, twin furlers, inverter, Galerider, lots of anchors. Tiller boat which is hard to find and really opens up the cockpit.

Price is probably soft given the time of year.

Westbrook is a good place to poke around. The Brewer yard is quite sizable.
Old 24-10-2018, 16:14   #19

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Here is a Cabo Rico 38 in Toronto Canada. The asking price of $45k is in canadian dollars, leaving you plenty of room in your budget for mods or repairs. From the pics, it already has an updated yanmar, self steering gear, solar, hard dodger, and many other cruising comforts. These boats get rave reviews as a great blue water cruiser.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/cit...ationFlag=true
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$_59.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	179564  
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 06:24   #20

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Here is a Cabo Rico 38 in Toronto Canada. The asking price of $45k is in canadian dollars, leaving you plenty of room in your budget for mods or repairs. From the pics, it already has an updated yanmar, self steering gear, solar, hard dodger, and many other cruising comforts. These boats get rave reviews as a great blue water cruiser.

Nice boat. Worth a look.

If you want to sail away they are gorgeous boats. But you better like brightwork maintenance!
Old 25-10-2018, 06:50   #21

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Nice boat. Worth a look.

If you want to sail away they are gorgeous boats. But you better like brightwork maintenance!
That's always the killer (for us)! We had a small amount on our Catalina many years ago, and I struggled to make time for the maintenance (I'm picky), but when finished, it all looked great, and I'd maintain the interior teak with Lemon Oil.

After moving to multihulls I swore I'd not have any more outside teak, but everytime any boat - yes, I still appreciate monohulls - goes by with lovely brightwork, my wife and I admire them. From afar.

Nice boat!

Good luck hunting; we're at the opposite end of the time continuum, looking for our last catamaran as we close in on retirement.

Regards,
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 10:42   #22

Boat: Endeavour 40

Hi Jessy.
We are interested in selling our Endeavour 40. See link bellow.
If you are interested in contacting us, we are located at Ft. Monroe in Hampton VA.
1981 Endeavour 40 Sloop Sailboat
Loreley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 02:20   #23

Boat: Pearson 365 and Jeanneau 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwhit View Post
Hi folks,

I am about to take off on a two week road trip from Maine to Florida in search of my future boat and I'm looking for some recommendations. Recommendations of places to shop, of boat models that would work for me AND letting me know if you so happen to know of an appropriate boat.

To give an idea of what size and style I'm after here are some models I am interested in: Valiant Esprit 37, Valiant 40, Passport 40, Fast Passage 39, Pacific Seacraft 37, Freya 39, Southern Cross 39. My price cap is 70K and I'm not looking for a huge project, but I have plenty of sweat equity to invest as well, with some experience in fiberglassing, woodworking, vessel systems, and engine repair.

I'm already planning on stopping in Annapolis, Charleston, St. Augustine, and St. Petersburg among other places. What other spots would be likely to have such boats for sale?

This will be my first "big" boat and although it won't be my last, it would be great to find THE boat for years of cruising to come.

Any tips are truly appreciated!

- Jesse

Hi Jesse, I have a Jeaneau 371for sale in St. Croix, USVI with two double cabins, layout is on the listing in this forum along with some photos and description. Price is in your range and she is a two owner boat (I am the second owner). Very clean, comfortable and well maintained with solar and wind generator for electrical generation, she sails well into the wind, new sails, and the engine runs great.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
piloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 09:00   #24

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 37

Thanks for reaching out! However, not the type I’m after. Good luck!
Jwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 09:09   #25

Boat: Norseman 447
Send a message via Skype™ to Dartanyon

Wrong coast I know – but if you know you want a V40 there is one on the market in Port Townsend new engine and $55K (I have no affiliation, some folks on the dock were just talking about it over the weekend).

https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/b...728415492.html
Dartanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:45   #26

I would add a Baba 35 to that list . . . Superb cruiser . . . Tons of Storage
pbraschi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 07:35   #27

Boat: Cornish Crabber 24

To Whit:
ADVERTISE!!!!!!!
J, if you have time, and you still do if you do it now, place ads in various areas (Craigslist, Sailboatlistings, SailingTexas, etc). State that you are moving south and detail your search parameters. You'll get some listings (and non-listings) that are not brokered listings this way. LOTS of people eschew brokers and their cumbersome contractual clauses and time constraints.

I've had great success selling trailerable boats in transit from Florida to Maine (EX: Bay Hen sailboat will be traveling north from March 15 to March 20, for sale, can be seen along I95 or arranged location. Etc). Tons of responses, because nobody wants to travel 1000 miles on spec if it can be avoided.

The same tactic can work with shopping. You'll be everywhere at once, in essence. From a buying standpoint, your method is much more convenient and cost effective than performing a stationary search and then facing a long trip to see prospective boats. Best of luck. See you in Florida!
BluePeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:02   #28

Boat: Cabo Rico 38PH 1991

Hello, I saw your post about your search for a boat.

I think you might look at this boat – yes, it is my prior boat (I have a 2yr new to me 1991 CR38 Pilothouse). A Mariner Yachts 36 cutter ketch, for sale. It is a very solid boat, meant for bluewater and it sails well in light airs as well.

The broker is Chris Junge at S&J yachts in Annapolis.* He came highly recommended to me and I think properly so.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/197...g#.W6vVp2bMyRs
Geoff Ferrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:27   #29

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post

That is a really low price for one of my favorites. If this boat is in good condition this is one you should seriously consider.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:03   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwhit View Post
Hi folks,

I am about to take off on a two week road trip from Maine to Florida in search of my future boat and I'm looking for some recommendations. Recommendations of places to shop, of boat models that would work for me AND letting me know if you so happen to know of an appropriate boat.

To give an idea of what size and style I'm after here are some models I am interested in: Valiant Esprit 37, Valiant 40, Passport 40, Fast Passage 39, Pacific Seacraft 37, Freya 39, Southern Cross 39. My price cap is 70K and I'm not looking for a huge project, but I have plenty of sweat equity to invest as well, with some experience in fiberglassing, woodworking, vessel systems, and engine repair.

I'm already planning on stopping in Annapolis, Charleston, St. Augustine, and St. Petersburg among other places. What other spots would be likely to have such boats for sale?

This will be my first "big" boat and although it won't be my last, it would be great to find THE boat for years of cruising to come.

Any tips are truly appreciated!

- Jesse
Hello,I have a wonderful Benateau 43 that I may be interested in selling. Im in Ft.lauderdale and asking 58k firm if your interested. Thanks
fucifino is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc