Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2019, 03:39   #16

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Liveaboard sailing vessel

I was given this free advice years back, "if you get a yacht for free often you've still paid to much"....sage words.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 03:44   #17

Salt Creek Marina (which is a boatyard) in St Pete is selling/giving their abandoned boats
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 04:32   #18

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingalice View Post
Why would you think of me like that, you do not even know me. I have property I can put my sailboat on. It won't be abandoned. Thank you very much.

So you’re looking for a small trailer sailor?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 04:53   #19

I'm 50 now taking care of my 93 year old grandmother. Sailing has been on my bucket list since 12. When she's gone from her, I want to accomplish something that I've wanted to do for many years. I can also go back to my Security job I just left to be here. My employer has a office in Miami, and I could live there on a sailboat instead of a $1500. Month rental. I can take my time learning the lines so to speak.
Cruisingalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 05:02   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Liveaboard sailing vessel

Quote:
I'm 50 now taking care of my 93 year old grandmother. Sailing has been on my bucket list since 12. When she's gone from her, I want to accomplish something that I've wanted to do for many years. I can also go back to my Security job I just left to be here. My employer has a office in Miami, and I could live there on a sailboat instead of a $1500. Month rental. I can take my time learning the lines so to speak.
In that case 27ft with standing headroom should be your minimum for living aboard..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 05:19   #21

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
I think you'll find here (and everywhere), you can't ask a simple question and get an answer very often. I do the same thing and get frustrated too.

They always want to know your entire life story, your ancestry as well as your finances and you should probably include a resume too. Both for office career and for sailing. Ha ha ha.

Ok, I'm joking, but there is a degree of truth to this.

Ask a simple question, get a lot of posts like you see here. Expect to continually justify yourself and your issues.

At the end of the day, however, it's worth it because a lot of good advice and good people are on here.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 05:33   #22

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I think you'll find here (and everywhere), you can't ask a simple question and get an answer very often. I do the same thing and get frustrated too.

They always want to know your entire life story, your ancestry as well as your finances and you should probably include a resume too. Both for office career and for sailing. Ha ha ha.

Ok, I'm joking, but there is a degree of truth to this.

Ask a simple question, get a lot of posts like you see here. Expect to continually justify yourself and your issues.

At the end of the day, however, it's worth it because a lot of good advice and good people are on here.
When you post a question on a public forum viewed by thousands you cant really whinge when some of the responses are not to your liking or disagree with your view of the world. You want to talk to a being that always makes you feel good then but a dog.

You get frustrated because you are harsh towards people that disagree with you.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 05:39   #23
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
I'm 50 now taking care of my 93 year old grandmother.
You don't have time for a free boat!!!!!!

Do you want to sail or do you just want a boat to work on????????????????
Old 16-12-2019, 06:07   #24

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
When you post a question on a public forum viewed by thousands you cant really whinge when some of the responses are not to your liking or disagree with your view of the world. You want to talk to a being that always makes you feel good then but a dog.

You get frustrated because you are harsh towards people that disagree with you.
Huh??

When you ask a simple question, you are sometimes looking for information on the subject.

This woman asked about a free boat or cheap boat. She didn't ask to have to go into detail about her career, life position or where she'd keep it. However, the crowd pushed her into a corner where she had to share all that out of frustration.

What's that have to do with being harsh?
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 14:22   #25

Boat: Volkscruiser

Chotu it was rather a question that was asking more questions than answering them. Liveaboard, sails/motor optional, Florida coast, free or cheap for a new sailor. A bit of a biography at the start may have helped narrow down any free boat Alice may be given. She might have been better saying 27 foot plus fiberglass yacht, with working motor and sails/rigging, cosmetic work not a problem wanted for free or cheap.
I see Alice is wanting to save $1500 a month rent, does that mean her office in Miami has a pontoon she can tie up to? Does Alice even know that the yacht will need to be $lipped and antifouled at some $tage. Don't laugh at that, I surveyed a $280,000 cat and the buyer was shocked to find out that antifoul needs to be done annually. He thought it was a life time coating!
I think a bit of tough love at the start might save a broken heart later.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 14:29   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Chotu it was rather a question that was asking more questions than answering them. Liveaboard, sails/motor optional, Florida coast, free or cheap for a new sailor. A bit of a biography at the start may have helped narrow down any free boat Alice may be given. She might have been better saying 27 foot plus fiberglass yacht, with working motor and sails/rigging, cosmetic work not a problem wanted for free or cheap.
I see Alice is wanting to save $1500 a month rent, does that mean her office in Miami has a pontoon she can tie up to? Does Alice even know that the yacht will need to be $lipped and antifouled at some $tage. Don't laugh at that, I surveyed a $280,000 cat and the buyer was shocked to find out that antifoul needs to be done annually. He thought it was a life time coating!
I think a bit of tough love at the start might save a broken heart later.
Cheers
Alice does know that it will have to be slipped at some point. And I was thinking I would slip it in ft Lauderdale where it is cheaper and drive to Miami. I understand that there is daily weekly monthly and yearly chores to keep the vessel sea worthy. I do . It will be a hands on learning curve combined with books to read. Yes Alice understands
Old 16-12-2019, 17:26   #27

Boat: 1935 33' Falmouth Cutter

Quote:
Alice does know that it will have to be slipped at some point. And I was thinking I would slip it in ft Lauderdale where it is cheaper and drive to Miami. I understand that there is daily weekly monthly and yearly chores to keep the vessel sea worthy. I do . It will be a hands on learning curve combined with books to read. Yes Alice understands
You'll be fine, Alice. You got a pretty good lead on Salt Marsh Marina, and a boat size that you could live with (27'), and whatever else you want to do with your new free boat is your business. You'll learn soon enough if it was a bad idea, but I think you're gonna figure it out and be just fine. These old salts are a nosy bunch and revel in drama and dire warnings, but they're all good people who will give you excellent advice when you have more specific questions.

It sounds like you're about to get quite a bit of first hand experience in repairing and maintaining an old boat, so you'd better stick around. We'll be coming to you soon enough for advice on leaking o-rings and slipping anchor winches.
Salty Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 17:49   #28

Boat: Volkscruiser

You know Alice if you could get some money together then someting like this Jack Helms (Not sure about the deck) looks a good buy. He sounds so over it maybe a crazy offer might get her. That low hour Beta engine is a really money saver. https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/boa...026394759.html
This Catalina looks good, but if that old engine ever dies you will end up spending more than she is worth to repower her.
https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/boa...012175946.html
Boats like this Ingrid you want to stay well clear off. I cannot believe they are asking $6000, more like they give you $6000.
https://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/boa...024781545.html
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 18:39   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
You know Alice if you could get some money together then someting like this Jack Helms (Not sure about the deck) looks a good buy. He sounds so over it maybe a crazy offer might get her. That low hour Beta engine is a really money saver. https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/boa...026394759.html
This Catalina looks good, but if that old engine ever dies you will end up spending more than she is worth to repower her.
https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/boa...012175946.html
Boats like this Ingrid you want to stay well clear off. I cannot believe they are asking $6000, more like they give you $6000.
https://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/boa...024781545.html
Cheers
....lol I liked the first two. And your right. How is number three still floating, I'll never know.
Old 16-12-2019, 19:36   #30

Boat: catalina 22 & 27

I have a catalina 27 and it is about the smallest boat I could live aboard. My wife and I have spent a week on our catalina 22 and it gets really small. Standing headroom, galley and head are needed. Thx-Ace

Tags
liveaboard, sail, sailing