Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2017, 12:23   #1

Looking for 42-47' Cat

Our family is setting off in Spring of 2018 but we need a boat. We have searched Yachtworld and Sailboat Listings pretty extensively so please don't forward boats listed on there recently. We are hoping to find someone thinking about listing their boat but have not yet done it with a broker. We are a family of five planning to spend 3-5 years on the boat so we want things like extra refrigeration, storage, watermaker, etc. We can add these if the boat does not have them but I expect the price to reflect it. We want to make some big crossings and possibly circumnavigate so I do not want a boat under 40'. Yes, I now people have done it but that is not us.

Here are our Parameters:
1) 42'-47' catamaran
2) Manufactured after 2007
3) Located in the East Coast of the U.S. or Caribbean
4) 3 or 4 cabin but 4 is preferred (we have three kids)
5) Not a homebuilt or one-off boat
6) Budget of up to $300K but for that price it needs to have all of the bells and whistles. We do not have the cash to buy an ex-charter boat and spend another $75K adding what we need. Ideally it will be in the mid to upper $200's.

Looking forward to finding the "near" perfect boat.
Outsideworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 12:55   #2

Boat: 45
Re: Looking for 42-47' Cat

Mine is technically older but that's really just the hull. Almost every system is 2014 or newer. She's solid and safe. Last owner was family of four o. A 2 year cruise.

If you'd like to look: http://www.catamaransite.com/leopard-45-1-catamaran-for-sale.html

I'm planning on sailing her from Wilmington NC to oriental NC departing on Thursday if you want to come along?

Scott
910-233-8680
BothFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 06:15   #3

Thanks for the listing. We are really looking for a more recent boat. Part of this is because of all rigging including the main halyard being brought aft. I like the Leopard 45 design a lot but wish to have dry bathrooms. With five people and lots of showers having at least one dry is important to us. Thanks.
Old 23-04-2017, 10:21   #4

Boat: 40' Leopard

sent you a PM did you get it?
rancher44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 13:25   #5

Thanks Rancher but we really need a 40'+ boat. The Leopard 40 I believe you have is only 38'. Not big enough for a family of five crossing oceans. Thanks
Old 23-04-2017, 15:27   #6

Not trying to convince you of a 40' but what you are wanting to spend
is truly a stretch
I was of the same thoughts but quickly learned the that what I would get for 300K would be a boat that would required about 70K in getting squared away . If you are happy with older electronics ,older sails,and a host of other Problems you might be able to pick a boat up for your price. But it will cost you very quickly down that road.
I went with a 40 so I could do all the upgrades and come in around 300K.

I take 5 people out for week trips on a regular basis.I have been in storms in the gulf and bringing the boat from the Caribbean in 14ft sea's.
These boats handle beyond belief
An way if you haven' been on a 40 you should do so .
And just to give you a rough idea of cost

Sail drives 10-14K
Electric Winch 5-7K
Radar All new electronics -10K
Gen set 10K
Heat and air 7-10K
People will tell you that it can be done cheaper But when you go to get these at cheaper prices they quickly vanish.
Anyway I did what you want to do but quickly learn the Leopard 42-47 boat with all the equip you want does not exist and is a myth for that price.
Old 24-04-2017, 09:39   #7

Rancher,

Thanks. Yes I have been on a Leopard 40. I see no way for the family to fit. They are great boats and if we planned to spend time only in the Caribbean it would be an option. I have already looked at boats that fit my criteria in that price range so I know they exist. We do have backup money for things like solar, watermaker, etc. I do see them at Moorings for well under $200K now so we could get a 2011 and drop a $80K on it and still be under $300 but there is not enough refrigeration and other storage for a crossing. I know people spend more time in smaller boats but that is not us. We know that.
Thanks Again.
Old 24-04-2017, 10:46   #8

If you can buy a 40 plus Leopard for 200 please send me the info and I will buy it !
I keep my eye on boats [Leopards ] and over 40' on moorings web site Is well over 300K
Not trying to be argumentative But I chased boats for 2 years before I bought my 40. And every boat turned out to have major issues .
If you can find a boat in good condition 2007 for 200K jump on it
Really good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for
Old 01-05-2017, 16:09   #9

Boat: Simpson Slipstream 50 Catamaran

Outsideworld,

Good too see that you have found out the true value of used cats. A broker told me that it takes 18 months, more or less, for the owners to realize the true value of their loved boats. Owner have mortgage on them too. And the thru value is often less than the rest mortgage. Its part of the problem.
Im been in the market for some time now, and truly the best buy regardless of brand (if you can live with the quality and condo thing) comes down to a Lagoon 450 that can be bought for 350k usd. And even so, people are asking way more than 300k for an older 440. They really dont get it. I would never pay more than 250k for a mint 440. And if you remind the brokers of the real value, they send you links to even more expensive boats as to justify their price. But they forget to tell you that these boats have been for sale for many years already, and will never sell. Probably they dont know either.