Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2022, 05:16   #16

Re: Looking for a $10k liveable Sailboat

wr are you located- I know a 40' boat bare, in storage 25 years, needs cleaning. prob has some exterior wood issues, brand new never started engine not fully installed.
interior simple, cushions and parts in storage additionally. Will need taking apart/lubricating everything in boat. Vessel was seized in bankruptcy and winterized in anticipation of a high latitude cruiser. project never materialized.
can inquire if for sale.
boat driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 07:37   #17

There was a homeless guy years ago, the post was on here, got a 22 footer free, put up a stick as a mast and tarp as a sail and sailed from I think NY to Fl so I guess anything is possible. Made all the paper in the curiousity section
bjp447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 08:37   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdrie View Post
As already posted, the more "out of the way" boatyards and CL are where you'll find something.

https://portland.craigslist.org/nco/...489058633.html

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/b...490898880.html

https://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/b...490626286.html

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/b...489615737.html

Be prepared to get down and dirty, and scrounge around.
People have sailed around the world in lesser boats than these.
Those are some cool boats. Nice work finding them!
jpwdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 09:02   #19

Boat: Leopard 45

I sold a 34' Hunter (1985 model) for $19,000 on Craig's list last fall. It sold in less than a week with a dozen offers. She wouldn't be my choice for an ocean voyage but she was in good shape and sailed the coast well with two sets of sails. I don't doubt that other boats in similar shape were available. I saw a few 30' boats available at $10,000 on Craig's list. This was in Portland Oregon. Maybe prices were higher on the East coast or LA, but if you look bargains can still be found.
jim King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 14:05   #20

Boat: Bristol 27

Bristol 24 Corsair $3,000

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/d...489787141.html

The Bristol 24 Sailboat : Bluewaterboats.org

http://sailingmagazine.net/article-1179-bristol-24.html

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/bristol-24
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 18:09   #21

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Thomm, did you read the OP? To reiterate, he is looking for an ocean crossing boat with a minimum of 6'3" headroom. I don't believe that the B24 meets either of those criteria very well.

And yes, I know that folks cross oceans in small boats, but that doesn't mean that it is a good choice for most folks, especially for those of large stature.

Jim
Old 04-06-2022, 18:20   #22

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Thomm, did you read the OP? To reiterate, he is looking for an ocean crossing boat with a minimum of 6'3" headroom. I don't believe that the B24 meets either of those criteria very well.

And yes, I know that folks cross oceans in small boats, but that doesn't mean that it is a good choice for most folks, especially for those of large stature.

Jim
I think the OP has to ditch the standing headroom requirement.
The boat I mentioned earlier ? One of the two owners is a solid 6'3" - he accepts that he doesn't have standing headroom. But as he says - when you are off watch you are in your bunk having a kip.
Old 04-06-2022, 20:53   #23

Boat: Amigo 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inicnat View Post

Price: $10k (If the boat needs a bit of repair)
$20k (If the boat is ready to cross the ocean tomorrow)

I need a reliable boat for some point go to Brazil. At the moment, i'm not a very experienced sailor, this will be my firts oceanic sailboat. I'm looking for something like a 30ft (or bigger), with a standing headroom, i'm 6’3” height...

If you have any advice for me, i'm open to it as well, thank you all

Here in Sweden you can find an old Albin Vega or Havsfidra for between 2-10k$, probably an ok Folkbot in the upper range of that. The Havsfidra is small, slow and built like a tank. They probably need a bunch of work, but on a smaller boat things are less expensive. You won't get a shower, perhaps not even heads, nor stand-up space below-decks (unless you are quite short), but boats that definitely can do the journey.

Example;: a month or so ago I saw an Havsfidra for SEK25000 (about US$2000), that looked quite reasonable based on the ad: windvane, electric engine (old forklift engine, but no solar, so that needed to be added), an old style anchor, and a bucket for the heads was included in the price. If I did not already have a boat I would have been sorely tempted.
ParL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 22:57   #24

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apf View Post
I sent you a PM about our Sadler 34

Welcome to the forum.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 05:14   #25

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Jim
The Bristol site has the headroom of the Bristol 24 at 6'

My boat, a Bristol 27, has headroom of 5'10" but I have about 4'-6' of space where I can stand up. I'm 6'.

Bigger would be better but with his $10,000 budget buying and prepping the boat for a trip like that could be difficult.

There was a Shannon 28 for sale on Craigslist recently for $10,000 (like the boat ArmySailor used to sail to Bermuda and back) and it is said to have 6'2" headroom.

OP would have to negotiate on price though.

Other important factors would be the OP's age and if he is sailing single handed. And maybe getting some experience before heading off to Brazil.

Folks coming into Norfolk after sailing very long distances have trouble sometimes with all the shipping traffic especially when tired.

It can get crazy in some places.

Here at this time we have lots of shipping traffic and they are dredging the shipping channel also so you have the dredge ship and a barge or two in the channel.

Then they are also working on the new tunnels so there are crane barges anchored near the entrances then you have the boat bring personnel to work and supplies.

It gets crazy busy at times.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 05:23   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwdesigns View Post
Those are some cool boats. Nice work finding them!
Indeed, that Spencer looks very tidy for the money:

Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 05:30   #27

Boat: EDELCAT33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inicnat View Post

Price: $10k (If the boat needs a bit of repair)

$20k (If the boat is ready to cross the ocean tomorrow)

I need a reliable boat for some point go to Brazil. At the moment, i'm not a very experienced sailor, this will be my firts oceanic sailboat. I'm looking for something like a 30ft (or bigger), with a standing headroom, i'm 6’3” height...

If you have any advice for me, i'm open to it as well, thank you all

So you want to fit/fix and take off to Brazil? So maybe location of departure is also a big consideration to reduce your crossing journey and reduce navigational costs. I wonder how easy is to look for local sailboats that may not be on a broker site in Spanish and Portuguese islands like the Azores, canarias, Madeira, or Cape Verde. Seems to me they have already placed where you want them to be for a quick hop to Brazil
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 05:34   #28
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Looking for a $10k liveable Sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosproa View Post
So you want to fit/fix and take off to Brazil? So maybe location of departure is also a big consideration to reduce your crossing journey and reduce navigational costs. I wonder how easy is to look for local sailboats that may not be on a broker site in Spanish and Portuguese islands like the Azores, canarias, Madeira, or Cape Verde. Seems to me they have already placed where you want them to be for a quick hop to Brazil
Yup.. it would definitely be an easier trip than from the E Coast USA.. even mainland Europe would be easier

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 06:41   #29

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

I've owned and crewed on old sailboats off and on for 40 years, and I have yet to see a boat for 10K (or even 20K) that was anywhere near fit to cross an ocean without extensive improvements.

Even the ones that look good have a long list of potential dangers and problems. What are you going to do when that ancient rigging brings down the mast in mid-Atlantic?

Yeah, I know people have done it. But don't mistake luck for ability or common sense.

I was in Key West five or six weeks ago, and a German guy with a 27-foot sailboat arrived from Europe via the Caribbean. He had paid a few thousand euros for it and decided to go on an adventure.

The boat was a mess. The diesel was dead, so he had a small outboard clamped onto the stern. His "self-steering" was an old sail jury-rigged with a broom handle. His cabin appeared to have drips all over.

The rigging and sails looked like they were about shot and ready to self-destruct. There was no dinghy I could see. He had one small solar panel to charge a single battery.

Somewhere in the Caribbean, his keel began to come loose. So he was paying $125 a night in a marina while he looked for a (non-existent) cheap boatyard in the Keys where he could do a DIY fix.

I'm not sure how it all turned out, as we got a weather window and left. His boat was in no condition to venture into the strong easterly winds. His situation did not look like fun at all.

I wonder whether he got up one day and left the boat at the dock.

You wouldn't climb Mt. Everest in old tennis shoes and a frayed backpack. Crossing an ocean in a sailboat is in the same category. Make sure you have the correct -- and reliable -- equipment.
Shanachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 17:01   #30

Boat: Westerly Sealord

I don't think you can compare sailing from the Med to Brasil with climbing Mount Everest - even when considering what a wonk the latter is these days.
Here is handy looking boat that would appear to be in good order. https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/yacht/1...iscus-8314764/
Same class as Dodo's Delight that Bob Shepton sails.
No reason to believe it isn't in good order and condition as described and the price simply reflects the market for yachts of that class, size, and age.
The OP appears to be in the Med.
Don't want to cross Biscay? Just take her through the French canals.
Current ask about 28k USD

Oh - and 6'3" headroom!

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat