Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2020, 08:09   #16
cruiser

Re: Looking for a cheap sailboat project for adventure series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Your numbers are too low. You should get a job and put it into savings and then buy a boat. It’s not that hard to come up with $20,000 which would get you there
Get a job?? This dude hates work.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:11   #17

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVillain View Post
..............Trying to find something already on the water in the free to $500 range. I'm willing to go up to $1500 for something I can move into and sail right away. Can be located anywhere in North America.............
You can find lots of used sailboats in the water in your price range in the link below.

https://www.ebay.com/b/Sailboats/63728/bn_2310724
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:14   #18

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

I believe there is a site connected to CF titled “ Free or next to free sailboats” but I can’t find the site. If you find it you can subscribe to it. Actually a lot of smaller sailboats, some almost ready to sail, all seem very cheap. Some around 30 feet. As far as the videos go, try and find a good looking chick with a big bosom to join you, sure to be a success.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:17   #19

Boat: Tiara Open 36

Begin with a clear understanding that there is no such thing as a “free” boat. Indeed, they are among the most expensive ones. Better to accumulate some cash, then buy something that’s in good order. Still, don’t underestimate the cost of ownership.
NewportGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:19   #20

Boat: Catalina Mk1 36

My nephew just purchased a 1983 Cal 31 for under $3000 on ebay. Needed a good cleaning, along with some other repairs. Engine turned out brand new!
Look around, when one shows in your area go for it.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:28   #21

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

Boat aside, you'll need a good story line, decent production, and a hook to capture viewers and keep them.

Expect a long wait to build a subscriber base to actually earn an income from the videos.
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:38   #22

Boat: Långedrag 43 ft (corten steel)

He has probably a plan for the YouTube project
Dont kill his dreams by begin so damn realistic.
I like the project idea and think many would follow such adventure. Especially if he fly somewhere across the globe and get the boat/start the project at that destination. This trend with amateur video production will welcome it, as long as he makes it serious with everyday uploads or smth like that. With a unique theme that capture audience ofc.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:43   #23

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

As a student of human nature, one of the things I have noticed and marveled at is some folks in our society have a big problem when other people get something for free that they have to pay money for. Even getting a good deal( paying something) seems to set them off.
There is a couple on YouTube who recently bought a 30 foot catamaran which I believe they paid around $5000 for. They are working on it and motoring around the East Coast heading now for Florida. Yes, it is a project boat with a 15 horse outboard and the interior is stripped. They don’t seem to know hardly anything about boats but they are learning and appear to be having a ball. Yet in the first few segments the commenters were relentlessly tearing them down. Envy. Now the comments seem to be much more friendly and positive with helpful suggestions. And their subscriptions are increasing. I envy what they are doing too, it’s just that I see no reason to make them wrong.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:48   #24

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
As a student of human nature, one of the things I have noticed and marveled at is some folks in our society have a big problem when other people get something for free that they have to pay money for. Even getting a good deal( paying something) seems to set them off.
There is a couple on YouTube who recently bought a 30 foot catamaran which I believe they paid around $5000 for. They are working on it and motoring around the East Coast heading now for Florida. Yes, it is a project boat with a 15 horse outboard and the interior is stripped. They don’t seem to know hardly anything about boats but they are learning and appear to be having a ball. Yet in the first few segments the commenters were relentlessly tearing them down. Envy. Now the comments seem to be much more friendly and positive with helpful suggestions. And their subscriptions are increasing. I envy what they are doing too, it’s just that I see no reason to make them wrong.

The nature of the human race, the majority always think negative first , well proven through science .
There are those that can and will and those that will be negative about it
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:01   #25

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVillain View Post
It doesn't have to cross oceans, a decent coastal cruiser will work for now. Catalina 27 etc. Doesn't need to be in good shape. Just has to sail and have the basic beat up interior i been seeing in the ads for some $2000 and under boats
Beware the cheap boat! They tend to cost much more than they're worth.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:05   #26

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

I've owned sailboats off and on for 40 years. I've never seen a cheap sailboat.

If you get it for little or nothing, it will require many thousands of dollars to upgrade it to a point where you don't drown yourself or put yourself at risk of serious injury.

These "finds" usually have 30-year-old rigging and some combination of baggy sails, questionable keelbolts, tired engines, dangerous wiring, stinky upholstery, worn-out bottom paint, bad batteries, ancient hoses, untrustworthy lifelines, leaky hull-deck joints and fittings, etc.

If you don't know how dangerous all of this can be, you shouldn't buy a sailboat until you learn.

Any of the above, alone, will cost you several thousand dollars to remedy properly. Combine several and you have a not-so-cheap sailboat that still may be in crappy condition. '

Now you'll also need solar panels, a dinghy, a bimini and/or dodger, maybe a life raft, preventative maintenance on the engine, a way to carry 50 gallons of water minimum, etc.

Not to mention expensive electronic gear if you plan to work remotely and reliably on your old sailboat.

You don't need to do all of this to your "find?" Then you are a homeless person living on a junk sailboat. Good luck with that.
Shanachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:11   #27

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Still waiting for the OP to respond to the location. They haven't responded to anything yet, so the "villian" might just be trolling.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:25   #28

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Try Ebay. Sailboats are listed under Ebay Motors.

Here's a decent 32 foot sailboat in California, current bid is $19.99. Do you need change for a $20?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-A-J-Ho...wAAOSwbb5ePFk5

Or here's a guy in Ottawa (Canada) who needs his boat, which is in Florida, moved further south...will let you sail his boat for free:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/cit...ida/1486535760

On a more serious note, here's a boat for $1000 that I would not hesitate to sail anywhere. Its a bit small (22 feet), but doable. Remember, the smaller the boat, the bigger the adventure:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/ham...ler/1486418267
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$_59.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	208329   Click image for larger version

Name:	$_59 (1).jpg
Views:	82
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	208330  

hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:27   #29

Morgan 41 OI at Murrelle Marina Lantana Fl. Phone 5615823213
Capt. Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:35   #30

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Don't let the naysayers get you down. I bought a Paceship 29 for $100 and sailed it home. Great boat, just needed a lot of cleanup, and some TLC. I spent less than $1000 getting it in good sailing shape, and had a ton of fun on it.

There are good boats out there that people just need to sell. You have a great plan and I look forward to wathing your videos. Please keep us posted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	July Sailing 136.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	430.4 KB
ID:	208331   Click image for larger version

Name:	half a beach 085.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	417.9 KB
ID:	208332  

hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags