Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2020, 09:40   #31

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.
Re: Looking for a cheap sailboat project for adventure series

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Don't let the naysayers get you down. I bought a Paceship 29 for $100 and sailed it home. Great boat, just needed a lot of cleanup, and some TLC. I spent less than $1000 getting it in good sailing shape, and had a ton of fun on it.

There are good boats out there that people just need to sell. You have a great plan and I look forward to wathing your videos. Please keep us posted.
My goodness, a positive comment on buying a low priced boat. How refreshing !
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:01   #32

That is awesome. Thanks everyone I didn't expect so much support. Friends and family have been trying to talk me out of this one for over a year lol. I have done some more research and might raise my budget to 3-5k. It looks like that is where ill get the best combination of cheap and sail ready.

Location doesn't matter. I'm currently in Calgary, AB and will be flying to wherever the boat is
CharlieVillain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:10   #33

Boat: previously Hunter 36.. now Carver 466 MY

Charlie - where are you located / what area do you need said boat project to be?

I have a Hunter 34 currently stored on the hard (by choice) that requires a modest amount of sweat equity to put her back into full service.... she floats!, she sails!, she has a good engine! — we’re talking mostly cosmetics type projects plus some basic handyman skill level projects. She was a sweet weekender for me and my kiddos for several years; now the First Mate and I have retired and migrated on to ‘motor yachting on a stinkpot’ as they say. So - multi-boat family, looking to downsize!

I think what you propose would be a cool thing to have posted for the world to follow. (That means - I’m guessing we could come to agreement on price pretty quickly :-)

There’s a Canadian guy who posts on YouTube the many travels and projects of he and his First Mate and their SeaRay powerboat, for example. I think if you search the boat name Boogaboo on YouTube his clips come up.

Anyway - PM me if interested. She’s in Southern MD, a couple hours south of Wash DC.
Tsailor46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:19   #34

Boat: Catalina 34ll 2001

Have you considered volunteering on a tall ship. I don't know how other tall ships do it but the Niagara you put in maintenance/work hours and then you can sail as volunteer crew. The more you put in the more you get. After some experience you may sail on other tall ships that go all over.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Niagara_(1813)

https://www.flagshipniagara.org/sailtraining/
cat34shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:20   #35

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVillain View Post
That is awesome. Thanks everyone I didn't expect so much support. Friends and family have been trying to talk me out of this one for over a year lol. I have done some more research and might raise my budget to 3-5k. It looks like that is where ill get the best combination of cheap and sail ready.

Location doesn't matter. I'm currently in Calgary, AB and will be flying to wherever the boat is

Have you done much sailing ever? Not trying to talk you out of it, but always good to learn how to sail, navigate, etc. before heading out.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 11:28   #36

Boat: Downeater 38 Ketch

It's already been done by lots of people.
You may like this one but there are hundreds of others out there in youtube land.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcDSkw35FYqsFgMqoZjt7zQ
Good luck finding a cheap repairable boat and say g'day if you ever make it to Australia.
Gil8142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 12:04   #37

The boat has been sitting for a few years. Being fiberglass hull and deck it is solid but has some places where water got in through windows or hatches and has some warer damage. The steering is hydraulic and that has been servced with new seals in the rams and working good. The main mast and rigging are aluminium and stainless wire has been replaced in the last couple years. The boom was wooden and just replaced with a new sedon boom. The mizzen is both aluminium but the rigging wasn't changed. There is a brand new 120 ah starting battery, but needs house batteries. It would need a bit of money and if you are smart at boat systems I would say that it would be good to go with 20 to30,000 us put in it to bring it back to a good condition. It's a good project boat for someone who knows boats and their systems. Their is a sistership going for 189000us here in the yard and I have had another one I chartered here in fiji for 10 years and it was insured for 175,000us.they are heavy roomy solid fiberglass made when nobody knew how much glass to use, so they put way too much.the generator froze up and needs one for the different systems, 12 volt,120 ac,240 ac. It's been rewired and has a great breaker panel to run everything with breaker switches. Has most of the sails they are in okay condition but need to adapted to the new mast and new booms which were wooden but now alloy. The hood roller furler is new and has a very good genoa on it. It has a ford Lehman which has only 1400 hours or so on it. A good buy for someone who can get it all together and has the ability and energy. I and my partner are in our mid 60s and 80.and just don't have the energy like we used to. But it is imported so it's a good thing for charter or living aboard. Hopefully that answers some questions. If you need pictures look on sailboat swap shop or any of those sights. I just listed it a few days ago and it will go fast.many inqures, I sent this to my son for copy and send this to the many inquiries I have gotten in the last few days. Bruce
Rigger Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 12:18   #38

You may want to decide what makes good copy for your YouTube project and plan your boat accordingly. What I mean is some things will be expensive to upgrade and may have limited visual appeal. For example, a boat with missing or wasted upholstery could easily cost $2k-$3k to have replaced. Standing rigging probably the same. Running rigging maybe half that. Missing, old, or undersized winches - $400-$500 each for self-tailing on a small boat, can easily double. Would make a decent how-to episode, but I think you're looking for broader entertainment value. Boat would be the main character in your series - chose wisely for the proper attributes and screen for improper ones.

When folks say cheap boats can be expensive, it's this type of expense they mean, not just the cosmetic cleanup stuff.

Or you can go the tried/true route others have hinted at. Find a young gal with a big smile and ample attributes who fancies brightly colored bikini tops. You could do videos about sorting pebbles from pinto beans and garner a large, dedicated fan base.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 13:50   #39

Boat: Hunter, Legend 40.5

There is an abandoned 30’ish here at the marina we are in at Mazatlán MX. Don’t know the story but 6” growth of barnacles/mussels. Down a bit at the bow, probably some water ingress. Looks freeish to me. Let me know if u want me to make inquiries. Could send some photos if you want....
charris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 14:03   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
Have you done much sailing ever? Not trying to talk you out of it, but always good to learn how to sail, navigate, etc. before heading out.

And how about boat repair skills?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 14:36   #41

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 41
Send a message via Skype™ to GinTonic

I suggest you travel down to Rio Dulce in Guatemala, there are many sailboats to buy and some good bargains to fix. It is a beautiful area , you will not get bored , guaranteed !
GinTonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 15:12   #42

Boat: Bristol 27

Charlie if you do not know much about boats make sure the boat you buy is on one of these lists.

https://atomvoyages.com/planning/goo...oats-list.html

https://www.mahina.com/cruise.html
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 16:04   #43

Boat: Alberg 35

I have a Catalina 25 for sale in Austin Tx. Few older boat problems but sailable as is now. I lived on it for almost a year while pretty much learning more about sailing and boat maintenance. You can find it on Austin Craigslist. 1979 Catalina 25. I’d let it go for 2500. It is a great first boat.
Linesledaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 00:51   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

I couldn't give my Pearson 26 away for free...It needed about 10K for new sails, new cushions, paint, decking material, etc. No takers even for free.

A friend bought a perfectly good 30 footer for $2000, so your dream is possible.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 20:05   #45

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Here's an Alberg 30 for $2800 (cdn). Looks like it needs a bit of work, but well worth it.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details..._Search_Alerts
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$_59 (2).jpg
Views:	87
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	208467  
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, cheap, project, sail, sailboat