Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2020, 13:52   #1

Looking For a Free Catamaran to call home

I know this may be crazy but figured id give it a shot!

My wife and I have a dream of getting a catamaran and living aboard it sailing place to place. Picking up people and helping them learn to sail. Spreading the love and joy of the ocean to others who cant afford a boat(like us at the moment)

I am hoping to find someone in a giving mood that wants to give their catamaran away to a good home. My wife and I are wanting to move onto a Catamaran and sail around. We currently don't have the money to purchase a boat but who knows maybe by pure chance, luck, or Gods grace we will get offered an amazing opportunity!

Were willing to travel to get to the boat and so far our favorite boats have been Knysnas and Privileges 40-50 foot range. But beggars cant be chooser
AKBrassMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2020, 14:34   #2

Boat: Prout Quasar 50
Re: Looking For a Free Catamaran to call home

I think it would be very expensive to fix up any cat in the 40 to 50 foot range that you can get for free.

If you are short on cash and want to live the sailing life why not get a little pocket cruiser? sometimes you can find one in good shape with tons of extras on it for free or close to free.

I started in 2018 with a little 26 footer and 3 boats later I still have a soft spot for that boat
Old 22-01-2020, 14:42   #3

Boat: Pearson 323

Hey BrassMonkey,

You may find a free catamaran somewhere in the world, but it's highly unlikely to be anything but a salvage. If you're willing to take a battered hull and turn it into a home, you may find a boat or two that's going for next-to-nothing. It's tough to hear you speak about wanting, not only a catamaran, but a 40-50 footer, and you've even got your favorite brands in mind. I don't know you, but your checklist hints of lunacy.

You could find a free monohull much more easily. Keep in mind that anything you get for free will need a lot of work and significant money to make liveable, let alone seaworthy.

Best of luck to you, and may the world let you down... gently.
Old 22-01-2020, 14:47   #4

Boat: 1980 Choate CF40

I Built a 45' cat, sailed a bit, Now What? - Page 2 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Morgali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2020, 15:07   #5
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Of course, here you go: https://www.free-boat.com/free/free-...t-skippack-pa/

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKBrassMonkey View Post

My wife and I have a dream of getting a catamaran and living aboard it sailing place to place. Picking up people and helping them learn to sail. Spreading the love and joy of the ocean to others who cant afford a boat(like us at the moment)

I am hoping to find someone in a giving mood that wants to give their catamaran away to a good home. My wife and I are wanting to move onto a Catamaran and sail around. We currently don't have the money to purchase a boat but who knows maybe by pure chance, luck, or Gods grace we will get offered an amazing opportunity!

Were willing to travel to get to the boat and so far our favorite boats have been Knysnas and Privileges 40-50 foot range. But beggars cant be chooser
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2020, 15:29   #6

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Good luck...
Souzag818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2020, 16:44   #7
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

So if you find someone to give you a 40-50’ Privilege would you also like them to pay for dockage, insurance and maintenance?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2020, 16:53   #8
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKBrassMonkey View Post

I recently advertised for a free 100+ft deluxe motor yacht full of fuel. Prefer Browards but will consider others like it.Said I would move aboard anchored 'out' and give it lots of love and teach free nude classes aboard. Been waiting for offers...for one year now.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2020, 19:45   #9

Boat: EDELCAT33

There is one in Hawai
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2020, 21:23   #10

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

there is a boat moored next to us...steel 50' POS that the guy paid $500 for

i reckon with abt 2 years continuous hard work, and abt $50,000, he'll have a boat that can safely leave the mooring which will be worth maybe $40,000...

what i'm saying is "cheap boats aren't cheap" !

cheers,
chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2020, 06:58   #11

Boat: Hylas 44

I don’t know what is your expectations about a free multihull but I found some for you:

https://www.free-boat.com/free/42-tr...st-fl/?lang=en

https://www.free-boat.com/sailboat/

Good luck!
Northbound44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2020, 07:53   #12

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

What about the thread here about the guy who built a cat, sailed it while and now wants to get rid of it. PM him and see what you can work out. He’s thinking of $12k, but who knows?
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2020, 07:57   #13

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
So if you find someone to give you a 40-50’ Privilege would you also like them to pay for dockage, insurance and maintenance?
There are people who have inherited an old neglected boat that would give it away just to shed the expenses. Also folks that have been there, done that, in the same situation. Stranger things have happened.....
WoodenBoat has been running a feature on their last page of free boats needing a home for years, so they are out there.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2020, 09:09   #14

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post

Fairly close on what to expect quality wise for a free cat, but appears to be much smaller than the OPs range of 40-50'.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2020, 09:32   #15

Does my memory fail me, or was it not you, BrassMonkey, who started down this road to perdition back in April last year with the following post: "The wife and I are tired of not being able to see each other from both of us having to work all the time to keep up with bills and life. We are looking to get rid of everything and move onto a... "

Let me assure you that if not seeing your wife because you have the bills of daily life to pay, then picking up a "project boat" is likely to destine your relationship for early dissolution!

Perhaps it is time to give serious thought to whether you are really ready, emotionally and in terms of raw skills to "Pick...up people and help... them learn to sail. Spreading the love and joy of the ocean to others who cant afford a boat"

Perhaps you are, but do be mindful that Neptune does not look kindly on the rash and the foolhardy.

Best of luck - I fear you may need it!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, catamaran