Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2019, 09:57   #16

Boat: Norseman 400
Re: looking for the right boat and seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midtownsails View Post
I'm also looking for the seller that would be willing to train me for maybe 2 or 3 sessions on operating their boat and learning the specifics of their vessel which would be included in the purchase price.
You're making a HUGE assumption here that the seller will know what they are doing, and be well-trained in all things boat - diesel engines, water systems, marine electrical, rigging, and last of all sailing. Most of the cruisers we have met are sorely lacking education in more than one area.

In fact, most people (us included) continue to learn as we go, especially regardng their cruising sailboat. I am amazed by "how much we didn't know" each and every year.

If you are as good a student as you say, you will have no problem teaching yourself. You will eventually figure out good information from bad and what applies to your new-to-you boat.

Focus on buying the boat that fits your needs, learn about it yourself (by fixing it yourself) and then learn to sail the thing.

We literally didn't know a thing about sailboats or sailing when we started on our dream. We look back on some of the things we did and think, "Well, that was just stupid." lol And some of the advice and instruction we received was so far off base it was dangerous.

We wish you the best of luck!
Sailor647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:16   #17

Boat: Morgan OI 37

Hello,
I have a 1976 Morgan 37 Out Island that I would consider selling in the next year or 2 in the price range mentioned here.
It has great bones and I have been retro fitting the cabin with new teak cabinets and other improvements for the last 2 years. Still a work in progress but certainly viable, I live aboard on weekends. The boat is located in Georgian Bay at Collingwood ON, Canada.

If interested in discussing further we can connect offline.
BTW I have over 50 years sailing experience in the great lakes and the gulf of Mexico including delivering a vessel from Lake Huron to Tampa Bay.
Best Bob
BobLoucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:19   #18

Boat: Pearson 34-2

We have a Tartan 27-2 on the market that may fit your needs. The only reason we are selling is because we just acquired a Pearson 34-2 as our "THE" boat. We bought this Tartan about 8 years ago to get the hang of cruising and to see if it would work for us. The boat has been great! It is ready to go, I may sail it tomorrow in fact. Ads are on sailboatlistings and Long Island Craigslist. Asking price is $7900. I have no objections to teaching someone interested in sailing about our beloved sport, and have shown many over the years. The boat is off Bellport Bay on the south shore of Long Island. PM if you wish!
fred4936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:25   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Jim had the same thoughts on your plans as do I. You've heard the 'Guests are like fish' platitude. Well its true in spades. Take your family cruising but forget the guest bit. Even just the family for other than daysails and/or an occasional overnighter on a 25 footer couldl end your sailing life.

I came up sailing a small board boat and it taught me everything I needed to know to get the wind to move me about. Something that starting out on a larger boat, even a 25 footer won't give you. Suggest you find out what 8' or less dinghy is raced in the local area, buy one and sail and race it. The dinghy can serve as the tender for whatever larger boat you end up buying so won't be a waste of time or money. Even if you decide to get a 16' center counsel RIB with a 50hp engine as your primary tender, it's really nice to have a second dinghy so one of you is not trapped on the boat when the other one takes the main tender. The kids and wife will also benefit from sailing the little boat. FWIW, my wife crewed with me for several thousand miles of sailing larger boats, 32' and up and was good crew. She didn't really understand the science of sailing till she took a local introductory sailing course in 8' sabots and had to go out and do it on her own. After that short 3 weekend course she finally understood the mechanics of getting the wind to move the boat.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 17:10   #20

That's a good point Greg. I'd need to get at least liability insurance. I guess the insurance company needs to see if you can actually sail before they insure you.
Midtownsails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 18:37   #21

Boat: Tayana 37 PH

Go for it... Just don't expect the seller will be teaching you to sail. May be a couple hours walk through hoping you don't see a problems missed by your surveyor. He just want to get rid of his boat and never see you again. With right attitude and little money you can get mentoring from any fellow sailor next to you.
Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 09:13   #22

Catalina 25 is excellent suggestion. Sailed one for 12 years with family going New York City to Nantucket. I have a Morgan 35 for sal at $16,900 located on Cheasapeake, Cambrodge MD. See Curtis Stokes add. Instruction etc can be negotiated as part of sale, not resale. I am a licensed Captain with 15,000 miles offshore and a ASA Sailing Instructor. The boat is capable but not turn key for Ocean Passages.
Mike6040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:17   #23

Boat: Morgan 1974 OI 41

Take a look at my boat for sale:

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/78677

If you are interested in more details, call me. Very solid, easy to sail. Can be single handed.
winschwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 13:11   #24

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by winschwab View Post
Take a look at my boat for sale:

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/78677

If you are interested in more details, call me. Very solid, easy to sail. Can be single handed.
No mention of the engine in the add. Does this still have the original Atomic 4 and the bronze centerboard?
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 06:13   #25

Boat: Morgan 1974 OI 41

1. No: Perkins 28 hp 3 cyl diesel.
2. Probably original centerboard. When I bought the boat in 2011 former owner had fixed the board up and never used it. I had all the cabling and hardware replaced professionally and use it on long beats upwind.
winschwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:52   #26

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by winschwab View Post
1. No: Perkins 28 hp 3 cyl diesel.
2. Probably original centerboard. When I bought the boat in 2011 former owner had fixed the board up and never used it. I had all the cabling and hardware replaced professionally and use it on long beats upwind.
Thanks for the info. I think this is one of the best extreme shoal draft sailboats around. Perfect for Florida & the Bahamas but can also handle the blue water of the Caribbean. I'm also a big fan of the yawl rig. Great for keeping the boat in one place at anchor & you can actually back wind it to have reverse under sail.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:00   #27

https://www.yachtworld.com/bayview/

Take lessons at Rock Hall, MD. One of the best and right on the Chesapeake Bay.
SqPeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:36   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal Cruising 46 - SATORI

I have an Endeavour 37 Sloop w/recently rebuilt Perkins 4.108. This is one of the 476 Endeavour 37's built. Why? Because they are stout, well built, great design, comfortable, {yes, you can sleep 6}, good sailor w/4' draft.

I just spent over $3,000 in cosmetics and upgrades like 3 new marine batteries, new battery charger, bilge pump & switches +++ She is setting at my dock by my home on Bayou Chico, Pensacola, FL. Call, come see and stay at our guest cottage or on the boat. If you call, speak slowly and loud as I am hearing impaired 850-572-twelve twenty five, or reply 2dogsfishin@gmail.com with your Email and I can send pictures.

I was a sailing instructor, raced (Cal 25 National Champion 1972) lived aboard and cruised our Cal 46 for 14 years. I will teach you basic sailing, no extra charge. OHH, by the way asking price is $22,500, will discuss any reasonable offer.
oldcal46skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:15   #29

Boat: Bowman 57 Ketch : Searcher

Why buy a boat in the first place? Why not sail on OPB = Other People's Boats for a few voyages? That way you get to experience different boats and sizes, equipment, gear, crews, and especially other skippers. If you've not made an offshore voyage to the Caribbean, don't do so on a small boat, go on someone else, where the skipper has made dozens of such voyages. Learn from seasoned skipper, not from books or your own mistakes, which could be deadly. I made the round-trip Maine to Caribbean voyage more than a dozen times. I've taken along crew I've obtained through Offshore Passage Opportunities. www.SailOPO.com.
Your first offshore voyage may cost you, but $3,500 is a whole lot less then the down-payment on a boat that's not up to there job. Coastal deliveries are free, you joy have to get to the boat and back on your own. The owner provides all onboard expenses.
Cpt. David H. Lyman, Camden, Maine
DHLyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:39   #30

I know of a nice Nimble 24 Tropical version that might do for you, in Burlington, VT, though she sleeps 4, not 5. I used to own her, and loved her. I now have a Nimble 20 which really sleeps only two and a kid or two, and I may need to sell her.
Mason Smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat