Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2019, 16:01   #1

looking for the right boat and seller

Im looking to buy my first sailboat. One that I plan on using as a practice boat before I move on to my global cruiser. I'm not looking to go the route that some people do or might recommend where they start off with a sailing dingy, moving on in difficulty and size throughout the sailing seasons until they finally feel confidant enough to buy and operate their global cruiser. That takes years, wasted money and many headaches of buying and selling multiple boats which might work or even be necessary for some but I don't believe is necessary for me. I'm not trying to brag but I'm a quick learner and I already was way beyond the skill level of others in my sailing class that have done it half a dozen times so I don't believe its necessary for me to go through the normal routine others might have to do. I built half my house, correcting the mistakes of so called professionals, passing very strict inspections along the way, by watching you tube videos so I'm not too intimidated by this but at the same time I don't foolishly underestimate it, which I'll get into in a minute. As a result I believe I can just move on to the 25 plus foot sailboat that I can use to cruise throughout the east coast and Caribbean for maybe 2 or 3 seasons, learning along the way, until I feel confidant enough to cross oceans with a larger boat, which brings me to my point. Im looking for a seller of a turnkey, preferably bluewater capable cruiser that can accomidate with reasonable comfort up to 4 or 5 adults and children. I'm also looking for the seller that would be willing to train me for maybe 2 or 3 sessions on operating their boat and learning the specifics of their vessel which would be included in the purchase price. We'd set aside a rate and determine it a lesson fee if for whatever reason we didn't go through with the transaction for the boat. This way the seller would not feel like it was a complete waste of time should the transaction not go through. If I did go through with the purchase that money would serve as the deposit for the purchase of the boat. The transaction would be completed after the lessons are completed. I'm not looking to waste anyones time so before getting to that point I'd get a survey. I don't want to waste time and money also so If we got beyond that point the sale would most likely go through. I'd spend 20k, maybe more or could be less. I'm flexible with that number depending on how favorable the deal is. I live in New jersey. I'd travel almost anywhere on the east coast to take the lessons and purchase the boat, even Florida depending on the circumstances. Interested parties feel free to reach out to me. Any information on the boat, photos or whatever you can think of that you can send me would be appreciated. Thank you.
Midtownsails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 16:09   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: looking for the right boat and seller

I once surveyed a 42' Catalina for a fella that had never been on a sailboat before. After purchase it took him two weeks to move aboard and the first time he left the dock (Lake Ontario) he went to Trinidad. He has been a good friend for over 20years now and is still out there.

Go for it.
Old 31-07-2019, 16:11   #3

Boat: Bristol 27

4 to 5 adults plus children on a 25' boat? Did I read that wrong?

Anyway, here's a good place to start for a boat that you can cruise on that is around 25' in length

https://atomvoyages.com/planning/goo...oats-list.html

As far as an owner that would be willing to train you to sail...…..now that's a whole different ball game and you wouldn't know how much the owner knows about sailing/cruising in the first place
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 16:26   #4

Yes thomm that could be true. I think after I get out with the owner on the water I'd probably get an idea on how familiar they were with their boat. However the possibility for what you mentioned still exists no doubt.
Old 31-07-2019, 16:29   #5

My idea for fitting 4 or 5 people is 2 at the v berth, 2 on the settee/bed and 2 in the aft bed under the cockpit should it hopefully exist. 5 is definitely max. Most of the time probably 2 or 3 people.
Old 31-07-2019, 16:40   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Your plan, while unusual, seemed sorta possible until the last bit where the "turn key blue water capable vessel suitable for 4-6 crew" got slammed with the up to 20K$ limit.

I fear that you will not find that combination of characteristics in a boat, let alone with the requirements for an unusual purchase scheme for anywhere near that price range. "Turn key" boats are usually quite dear for their size, and rarer than hell at any price. Boats DESCRIBED as turn key are very common, though!

Good luck... I think you are gonna need it!

im
Old 31-07-2019, 16:44   #7

Lol. Got to start somewhere but I did say I'm flexible. Close to turnkey is also good. I'd be willing to do some work just no lengthy projects.
Old 31-07-2019, 16:55   #8

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

I fear that you will not find that combination of characteristics in a boat, let alone with the requirements for an unusual purchase scheme for anywhere near that price range. "Turn key" boats are usually quite dear for their size, and rarer than hell at any price. Boats DESCRIBED as turn key are very common, though!

Good luck... I think you are gonna need it!
Interesting to see what's on offer here !! Some people do win lotteries though. You now have your ticket at least. Good luck.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 17:05   #9

Let me reemphasize that I'd spend 20k or more, depending on the deal. It also can require some work, just no big projects.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:15   #10

Boat: Scout 30

This is the thread for you!

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...47098-115.html
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:25   #11
Marine Service Provider

I am a sailor and a broker in the Great Lakes. I have sold many sailboats to 1st time sailors. The sea trial consists of the seller, the buyer and me. Not the entire family. And a lot of the time I know more than the seller does. Each sale the buyer soaks up whatever he can and then if he wants to, and the seller agrees to, they may go out and do one or two more 'lessons' and then it's goodbye little birdie, out of the nest, you're on your own.
I usually grab a copy of Sailing for Dummies from the local used book store and throw that in with the admonition, Read This.
Most times the buyer catches on pretty quick. Occasionally one bumps into something but for the most part they sail off and it's Happily Ever After.
You may be overthinking this. You don't need 2 or 3 seasons of lessons. But please take my advice. Learn mostly on your own and/or with your partner and leave the kids, aka the distractions, at home with grandma.
Even a sailboat covers ground quick enough that if you aren't focused on handling the boat because of the kids, especially before you've learned the ropes and mastered the skills of safe boat-handling, you now have yourself and them in jeopardy.
But the biggest piece of advice I can give you is, Do It Now. Go. Sail. Live.
Piratenorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:35   #12

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I once surveyed a 42' Catalina for a fella that had never been on a sailboat before. After purchase it took him two weeks to move aboard and the first time he left the dock (Lake Ontario) he went to Trinidad. He has been a good friend for over 20years now and is still out there.
Also on Lake Ontario....

I sold my Hunter Legend 35.5 to a guy (family) who had never been on a sailboat before. I helped deliver the boat to his marina, about an hour away. After leaving the dock, I set the sails and shut off the engine. They were SOOO impressed that the boat was moving, silently, with no engine!!!

IMHO, its a lot more difficult and dangerous to drive a car than to sail a boat. In a car you sometimes need split second action to avoid certain death. On a sailboat, you get like 5-10 minutes to figure out which rope to pull before it really becomes a problem.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:39   #13

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piratenorm View Post
I am a sailor and a broker in the Great Lakes. I have sold many sailboats to 1st time sailors. The sea trial consists of the seller, the buyer and me. Not the entire family. And a lot of the time I know more than the seller does. Each sale the buyer soaks up whatever he can and then if he wants to, and the seller agrees to, they may go out and do one or two more 'lessons' and then it's goodbye little birdie, out of the nest, you're on your own.
I usually grab a copy of Sailing for Dummies from the local used book store and throw that in with the admonition, Read This.
Most times the buyer catches on pretty quick. Occasionally one bumps into something but for the most part they sail off and it's Happily Ever After.
You may be overthinking this. You don't need 2 or 3 seasons of lessons. But please take my advice. Learn mostly on your own and/or with your partner and leave the kids, aka the distractions, at home with grandma.
Even a sailboat covers ground quick enough that if you aren't focused on handling the boat because of the kids, especially before you've learned the ropes and mastered the skills of safe boat-handling, you now have yourself and them in jeopardy.
But the biggest piece of advice I can give you is, Do It Now. Go. Sail. Live.
When I would take out guests, extended family, especially children, I would tell the wife (now ex) that I would take care of keeping the boat safe, and she is in charge of keeping the people safe. She definitely had the more difficult job. One time, someone literally almost lost an eye. Had nothing to do with sailing. Just stupid kids doing dumb things while they happen to be on a boat.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:00   #14

Boat: Camano 41

This is an ambitious plan, at the very least. If you have your own mooring place, that's one big step. Of you plan to be in a marina, you will need insurance. Underwriters regulate the industry with requirements of vessel and owners abilities. I can do math with a calculator very quickly, long division and adding columns of number takes a little longer. Short cuts can be useful when you know the long way. Good luck in your endeavour, and welcome to 'periods of boredom interrupted by moments of sheer terror'. Like the rest of us, you will have your share.
Greg Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:04   #15

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

There's one other option. Buy a 25 foot Catalina, which can do what you want (if a slight bit cramped, but in good weather, 2 can also easily sleep in the cockpit under a bimini top), and will be fairly easy for someone, with decent common sense & curiosity, to learn to sail largely on their own.

In a few years, you will know exactly what design you want in your next boat, instead of guessing, and have the basic skills to size up boats, and buy a global cruiser. Once you get the global cruiser, it's not an impossible step to become proficient in that boat, based on the fundamental skills learned on the Catalina 25.

The Catalina 25 can also be kept on a trailer, making yearly costs much less, and any maintenance needed much easier & able to be done in your driveway. When you decide to move up to the global cruiser, the Catalina 25 will be easily sold, and they do not cost much used in the 1st place.

My family of 4 spent 5 years on a Catalina 25 when I was growing up, and it's easily doable by a normal family. It's good training for learning how to go through life. I do think sometimes the cautious and wise advice given to new sailors is sometimes overly so, depending on the raw abilities of the new sailor. Good luck, and if I were in your shoes, this is definitely the route I would take.

-scratch that, the Bahamas would be doable, the Caribbean would not, as the open ocean passage of that distance would not be recommended. Short hop from Florida to the Bahamas is doable, with a careful watch of the weather forecast for the crossing, and proper skill set.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat