Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2020, 11:43   #1

Boat: Harbor 20, Seawind 1370 (2024)
Maine Cat 38

Maine Cat 38,
Located Seattle, WA
US$389,900.

Boat launched summer 2017, made the boat show rounds, and was the actual MC38 at Annapolis which won 2018 boat of the year. Delivered to me March 2018 in Seattle by ship.

Videos of this exact boat, hull #3.
BOTY Video:
https://www.sailmagazine.com/boats/b...8-maine-cat-38

Sail Magazine Review
https://www.sailmagazine.com/boats/b...w-maine-cat-38

Lots of upgrades including Dave Calvert high performance carbon sails. Main & Jib Calvert Offshore Load Path laminate sails w/ carbon. Calvert tri-radial carbon code0, 710 sq ft, that will sail at 55 deg awa. She will sail at 100% windspeed in 5 knots of wind.

Boat Tube Walk Through

The Maine Cat 38 is a lightweight, high performance cat that’s easy to sail and maintain. The open bridgedeck offers great visibility and incredible air flow. The 12:1 beam ratio, flared hulls, with protective “shoulder” and retractable daggerboards offer a dry ride, high pointing angles and reduced drag. Design Lightship 8200 lbs, load avail to design water line an additional 4200 lbs.

Upgrades include:
  • Upgraded Cherry Interior Cabinetry, extra shelving, custom “hamper/seat” in master.
  • Wallas 30DT diesel fired forced air heater with independent 5 gal fuel tank + level gauge. Heats both interior and bridgedeck.
  • Mattress pad heater in master stateroom
  • Custom 5.5 cu ft Fridgiboat refrigerator / freezer
  • 4 Firefly Carbon Foam G31 Batteries (464AH), can use 80% of AH capacity unlike 50% for AGM batteries and still have 3-4x the lifespan.
  • Seagull IV fresh water filter at galley
  • Bridge deck wood valence with dimmable mood lighting
  • Cherry cockpit table, adjustable height, with 2 drop leaves and storage
  • Marine Deck 2000 cork bridgedeck flooring
  • Extra propane tank
  • Edson Black helm w/ leather cover
  • Garmin GPSMAP 7612 12″ chartplotter
  • Garmin VHF 300 & GWH 20 remote VHF
  • Garmin AIS Transceiver
  • Garmin Fantom 18 Doppler digital radar
  • Garmin wireless remote for autopilot
  • Garmin GXM weather antenna and receiver for Sirius XM/weather
  • Cell Phone booster w/ top of mast antenna
  • Retractable bow sprit and Code 0 blocks, continuous line furler
  • 5 extra USB outlets
  • 2 extra 110 outlets
  • Victron 80/2000 inverter/charger with remote
  • 4 Solara 140w walk on roof mount solar panels
  • 300’ of 8 plait anchor rode
  • VHF hailer / horn mounted under radar on mast
  • Salt water sprayer at galley sink
  • Strikeshielf lightening protection system
  • 4 step dive style swim ladder
  • Upgraded mattresses and cockpit seat cushions
  • Anchor bridle
  • Jefa 150 KgM direct drive Type 1 planetary gearbox auto pilot drive
  • Honda 2200 EU Generator
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kitty Hawk Sailing.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	405.5 KB
ID:	215488   Click image for larger version

Name:	img_6187-scaled.jpg
Views:	846
Size:	451.5 KB
ID:	215489  

Name:	dsc_3835.jpeg
Views:	856
Size:	213.4 KB
ID:	215490   Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc_3743.jpeg
Views:	780
Size:	220.6 KB
ID:	215491  

Name:	dsc_3779.jpeg
Views:	555
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	215492  
Old 22-05-2020, 12:05   #2

Re: Maine Cat 38

Just saw this yesterday listed with Wright Yacht sales there in Seattle (Broker had a lot of really good things to say about this boat.)

Really wish as the last (I think) US cat manufacturer they updated their website more often, gives the appearance of a company struggling to stay afloat.
Old 22-05-2020, 12:43   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaverCop View Post
Just saw this yesterday listed with Wright Yacht sales there in Seattle (Broker had a lot of really good things to say about this boat.)

Really wish as the last (I think) US cat manufacturer they updated their website more often,....
They are a small operation with Dick as Chief Designer + Salesman who has been at it for ~25 years, so to my mind putting a little less time on continuous updates to the website is wise prioritization. I'm not sure small tweaks to the website would drive significantly more sales. Every time I visited the factory, he gave me lots of time.
Old 22-05-2020, 13:47   #4
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Possibly looking to buy a bigger cat?
Old 22-05-2020, 13:49   #5

That is good information to know. If you could humor me for a few questions;

With the open bridge deck I can only assume this cat was designed for sheltered coastal sailing (I am a huge fan of wharrams but dont think the design philosophy here is the same)

The few complaints I hear repeatedly is that the cat loads down quickly which is understandable with this being designed as a rocketship.
Old 22-05-2020, 15:49   #6

Quote:
With the open bridge deck I can only assume this cat was designed for sheltered coastal sailing (I am a huge fan of wharrams but dont think the design philosophy here is the same)
It's more about your sailing style than the boat. Lots of open bridgedeck cats, e.g. Shuttleworths Tek35 have crossed oceans with zero bridge deck enclosure. The larger Maine Cat 41 was built with an eisenglass bridge deck enclosure at least one I know of crossed the south pacific several times. That 41 did eventually add more substantial windows, but the MC38 started out with front slide windows and fixed side windows standard. She made the trip from the factory in Maine all the way to the ship in Forida with several extended overnight offshore legs in decent weather (high 20's true). Not at all what I'd call "sheltered". She loves loves loves to surf, so downwind is no problem. Once I had green water to the mast going into it, I was warm and completely comfortable in a polo shirt at the helm in the enclosed bridgedeck. That being said, sailing into large swell is not something I go out and do for fun.

Quote:
The few complaints I hear repeatedly is that the cat loads down quickly which is understandable with this being designed as a rocketship.
I've never hit that limit. Have been out for 2 weeks with 5 people with onboard tanks full, a portable freezer of food + an extra 35 gals of water and 20 gals of fuel in jerry cans. You've got 4200lbs of load carrying before you hit the design water line which is well below the hull shoulders. Not saying you can't overload her, certainly she is easier to overload than a Lagoon by a fair stretch.

Below the shoulders there isn't too much hull flare, so while you are adding some wetted surface area, you aren't making the hulls wider. May loose a bit of light air performance, but she goes so much better in light air than most cats, you'll still be ahead of the game.

Remember, out of the box, she is 5-6000 lbs lighter than a 1160 lite with 2" more bridge deck clearance.
Old 28-12-2020, 09:52   #7

Winter price discount for direct sale, $358K. My broker agreement has expired, so I can pass on the savings until I relist it in March.
Closed Thread

Tags
maine, maine cat