Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2018, 14:37   #16

Re: Please Help us find our Liveaboard Catamaran

Thank you for the feedback.
swpalmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 15:38   #17

Location: Boynton Beach, Florida. Cruising Bahamas through Spring 2024
Boat: Manta 40

Hi. We're in Lighthouse Point and have a Manta 40 that we've had for almost 5 years. We spend 4 years searching for the right cat for us. Would be happy to meet with you and your wife when you get down to Pompano give us a PM.

Can share our search and some of the things we've learned along the way. We're working towards retirement (taking a bit longer than we hoped - goal was 50 years old - 2 years ago!)... but we're getting there.

You definitely should take the ASA learn-to-sail through Catamaran Cruising class. It's one week. We did ours at water sailing">Blue Water Sailing School in Ft. Lauderdale. You spend a week on the catamaran and sail into Key Biscayne. Had a great experience.

What you spend on the class and the 4 certifications will quickly be made up in what you save on boat insurance in the first year. You'll have a hard time getting insurance on a boat this size without some experience.

We can also recommend some local captains to call. Good luck!

Jason
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 15:42   #18

Best of luck to you swpalmer1. My wife and I are in the same position right now, with the same budge and same amount of experience. Maybe we can all 4 book sailing school together and get a 25% discount!

We're mainly looking for a Leopard 42 or 43 that is 2005+. Seems to be the boat you may get lucky and find one for $240k and be able to spend $8k for Garmin electronics upgrade, $10k for rigging and you're on your way. The Lagoon 40 looks WAY nicer on the inside though. Also a 2019 Lagoon 380 brand new is $245k base or about $300k fully loaded. Much smaller, but everything brand new and loaded.
krashx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 18:58   #19

Boat: Endeavour 40, Sold, looking for a 44'-50 cat or mono.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krashx6 View Post
Also a 2019 Lagoon 380 brand new is $245k base or about $300k fully loaded. Much smaller, but everything brand new and loaded.
I'll pay a hefty finders fee for this 380!

SWPalmer... Definitely take the courses, you'll get a feel for the vessels working systems, a feel for the water, and the insurance will definitely go easier on you!
svGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 07:16   #20

Boat: Jeanneau 54 DS

ASA courses at Offshore Sailing school in Captiva will give you a full range of courses you will need, including a dedicated catamaran course.
Don't ignore a used cat from one of the charter companies in the BVI. You will get a previously loved, well maintained boat at a lower price than the US.
The most important aspect of any purchase is the surveywhich tells you what you are buying. Best of luck.
bjymd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 08:58   #21
Marine Service Provider

Let me know if you are interested in joining us for one of our Catamaran Cruise and Learn courses - we would love to have you join us. And, yes - we give group booking discounts! It would be fun to have a group from Cruisers Forum!

We are also brokers for The Multihull Company. So - we would be happy to show you a few boats while you are down here!

Let me know if there is anything we can do to help you get started on your sailing adventures!
LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 08:37   #22

As you can see from my profile I do not post a great deal but spend a fair amount of time lurking and learning. I have a similar dream to spend a few years on a Cat and just enjoy life. I would reiterate what other have said about taking the ASA sailing class. I have had several years of power boating experience but no sailing experience. Just in May I took the ASA 101, 103, 104 and 114 courses at LTD sailing in Grenada. I can not come even close to stating how highly I would recommend them as instructors. My son and I spent a few days on a monohull and then a week on a catamaran. Until we sailed on both I did not understand the nuances and 'feel' between the two. I realize that this can cut into your budget but you mentioned that you were going to hire a captain for a period of time after purchasing the boat. This would help in having the training prior to the captain working with you allowing you to focus on the particular boat you have bought. Understanding all of the systems on the boat is imperative as you push off the dock since once you are at sea it is up to you to keep things safe.

Just my 2 cents but as I continue to look forward to the days of exploration I now understand what it is like to be on both types of boats and that I have a ton to learn.

Edit: since Chris of LTD sailing posted just above me it is easy to find the link. He is great and his instructors are awesome. Getting to sail on Dogsmile is simply a blast
bonebrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 09:12   #23

My husband and I and our 2 teens are going to be doing the same thing! We have listed our home this month and are taking it one step at a time. I want to wish you all the best and would love to follow your progress and learn from your experiences. Do you have a blog or channel?
TrueStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2018, 18:34   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by swpalmer1 View Post
Right now my wife and I are in the beginning stage of looking for our used (new) to us catamaran as our home for at least the next five years to see as much of the world as we can. We have absolutely no sailing experience but plan on this being part of this next learning curve of our lives.

Our house went under agreement the other day. We are looking to close on August 31.

Our plan is to drive down to Pompano Beach sometime around September 20th to start our search.

We are looking for an owners version between 40-46 feet. Our budget will be somewhere between $275-300,000 cash. Our plan is to take our time looking for the right boat that will be the “right boat for us” and one that will fit within our budget.

We have been researching just about every boat out there online over the last couple of years and reading many, many forums on each. Learning the positives and negatives of each manufactured model of the big three production and the semi production models. We have gone to boat shows and talked with many brokers about what our plans are.

Yes, we have been told more than once that we should charter a couple of different catamarans that we might be interested in to see what we like. With our limited budget above, I think we need to save the money for the boat.

I know that there is no perfect cat out there and there are compromises for each individual. First, we want an owners version as first and foremost it seems they would hold their value more than a 4 SR charter version. Something that can perform well under rough conditions. We also want a boat that is in excellent well taken care of condition that was recently refitted or will not need any refitting for a few years well equipped and low engine hours.

Some of the cats that we have our eyes on are Leopards, Privilege (expensive) Catana (expensive) not quite sure about performance on Fountain Pajot and Lagoon. Any other (special) manufactured cat that has the above qualities would also be of interest to us.

Any cruisers out there finishing there cruising adventure and ready to sell in late September early October please let us know.

I would certainly appreciate any feedback on your thoughts.

Thanks in advance for all of your input.
If you are still searching, my family has a Privilege 48 / 14.7 meters 1988 with 5 double cabins, 4 head layout with less than 300 hours on Volvo D2-55 engines and lot of extras, for sale. Regards
alamoana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2020, 10:48   #25

Boat: Catana, BALI 4.3, 42

https://sites.google.com/view/y-knot/
dvop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2020, 15:18   #26

Boat: Looking now!

Check out this beauty!
http://catamaransite.com/Lagoon-420-...or-sale-6.html

Good luck with your search and plans. Hopefully my wife and I will be following!
Mook1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 02:32   #27

Boat: 2006 Jeanneau SO 37

We have a 2004 Lagoon 380, owners version, with many upgrades and excellent maintenance record for sale for $215,000. She is currently in Riviera Beach, FL in a boat yard getting new thru hulls and seacocks, bottom job, and buff and wax. If you are interested please send me a message for more details. We will be moving her to a marina in Stuart in April.
GulfportBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 19:24   #28

Hi There
Have a 40 ft Chamberlain Design cat for sale in Brisbane Australia.
With the favourable exchange rate for US based purchasers it should be considered.
Price is $AUS 160000

Can send photos and details i

Regards

Simon
simon fleury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2020, 09:41   #29
cruiser

Boat: beneteau catameran blue 2

beneteau blue 2 for sale
doug45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags