Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2023, 09:48   #1

Boat: Marcos 39 - 45'
Stevens 47 or Prout Catamaran

Hi, We are looking for a Stevens 47 or Prout Catamaran in the Pacific North West. We will consider east coast, Hawaii, West coast to Mexico for the right boat. WE are not looking for a project boat but open to some deferred maintenance.

We are a family of 4 and hoping to liveaboard and go sailing bound hopefully for India.

Please message me if you know of or have a boat.
pelagic4005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2023, 04:50   #2
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to Steamer
Re: Stevens 47 or Prout Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagic4005 View Post

go sailing bound hopefully for India.
There is a Simpson cat almost THERE where You are dreaming to sail!
2000 built 50' Simpson is located on Seychelles.
The Owner died not long ago and the cat is for sale @ about 250kEur.
Steamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2023, 07:49   #3

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37

It is a bit early for us, but we have a 1983 Prout Snowgoose 37 classic that likely will be coming on the market in the next 6 months. Currently cruising her full time - leaving Jamaica tomorrow morning bound for the Bahamas. Our 4 year cruise will likely be done around April/May in North Carolina. She has been an amazing vessel and home for our family of 5 for the last 7 years.

She's in great shape overall, but is getting near due for bottom paint, and the paint on the side of the hulls below the rubrails needs to be redone (about 4 days in a yard for everything). Basically needs a light cosmetic refresh due to the UV of the tropics for 4 years now. Rig was completely new in '19. Sails, engine, drive, dinghy etc. all in very good to excellent shape. Interior shines and is in great shape.

cruisingkyrie.blogspot.com

PM me if interested and we can take the conversation offline.
Excalibur5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2023, 15:39   #4

Thank you but that will be too big for us. Hope the sale is swift for you
Old 20-10-2023, 23:45   #5

Hello,
Are you still looking for a catamaran on the west coast.
Catman
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2023, 00:06   #6

Boat: Between boats at the moment aka Fender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
There is a Simpson cat almost THERE where You are dreaming to sail!
2000 built 50' Simpson is located on Seychelles.
The Owner died not long ago and the cat is for sale @ about 250kEur.
That sounds interesting. Could you post more details or DM more details, please.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2023, 02:14   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

There might be a Stevens 47 available in Tasmania. PM me your intentions/wishes, and I can see the owner gets them. If the location is too far away, don't bother.

Ann
Old 21-10-2023, 02:26   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

This is a strangely specific search for one of two very different options. If you have time--just to satisfy curiosity--could you say what led you to these narrow parameters?
I've sailed both boat models you're looking at, and see no similarities.
Old 21-10-2023, 07:32   #9

It is strange. Our preference is a catamaran for the comfort sailing and lifestyle. We do like the ride on heavy displacement monohulls just not the rolling at anchor or sailing downwind.

The criteria is as simple as 4 sleeping cabins and 2 heads with space for the family of 4 not to feel as though we are living on top of each other
Most of life sailing offshore is at anchor or sailing close to shore. Everyone focuses on the storms which are more easily avoided with modern weather forecasting and also fairly short in time.

We would love to hear your thoughts on both. We are looking for a 38-40' cat

Tim
Old 22-10-2023, 06:44   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
It is strange. Our preference is a catamaran for the comfort sailing and lifestyle. We do like the ride on heavy displacement monohulls just not the rolling at anchor or sailing downwind.

The criteria is as simple as 4 sleeping cabins and 2 heads with space for the family of 4 not to feel as though we are living on top of each other
Most of life sailing offshore is at anchor or sailing close to shore. Everyone focuses on the storms which are more easily avoided with modern weather forecasting and also fairly short in time.

We would love to hear your thoughts on both. We are looking for a 38-40' cat

Tim
If the criteria is simply "comfortable for a family of four," you might broaden your search horizon: lots of monos in the 40+ foot range meet that criteria, and not a few cats. It'll be a lot more options.
I can't comment much on cats, having less experience there, other than to say that the 32'-ish Prout I sailed, though fast and well-ordered on deck, was cramped and uncomfortable: low cabin roof; 'galley down'; small. And the bridgedeck got pounded mecilessly in evven a light chop. Bigger is usually better with any cat.
As for the Stevens 47, I sailed one through the Northwest Passage last summer. I will say in their favor that they're fast and pretty solidly built, and can handle rough weather pretty well.
Downsides are that they're really lively in heavy seas--the ends get really tossed around. The decks are terribly arranged and cluttered: the inboard shrouds make going forward very difficult, and the narrow foredeck is hard to work on and really wet--that narrow, pointed bow ships a lot of water to toss aft. The rounded undebody aft gets slapped without pity by every passing wave and wake: at anchor is a chop, the aft cabin is uninhabitable, and wakes can make the whole boat shudder.
The galley arrangement is terrible: your face is smushed against the cockpit well when washing dishes, and there's a ruddy big engine right in your living space.
Surely some models are different, but in this one the mast wiring funneled water straight into the midships cabin; the sink drain had a long horizontal run which clogged, and the manual bilge pump, as well as being in the engine box so the rubber parts cooked and split, was plumbed to the cockpit drains. A fuel fill on the cockpit sole had no room to get a pump nozzle to, and any sort of cockpit enclosure made the winches impossible to use.
I could go on, but for my money the Stevens 47 is a failure of design and execution.
Also, they're all getting pretty old, with all the failings of aged boats: leaky toerails, tired engines, etc.
Old 22-10-2023, 08:58   #11

Thanks that is really good to hear. I think we are going with a privilege 37 catamaran. Great layout and size for us. A little tight with the kids at home for the next 3 years but plenty of space after that
Old 22-10-2023, 10:33   #12
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Thanks that is really good to hear. I think we are going with a privilege 37 catamaran. Great layout and size for us. A little tight with the kids at home for the next 3 years but plenty of space after that

I think the Privilege is a fine choice.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran