Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2018, 07:41   #16

Re: Tayana 48 year 2000

People are getting old so Cats are in favor vs. 45 degree sailing...
Santiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 12:24   #17

Boat: Malö 40H

I am going thru all of these right now from the other side.. I.e. the buyers side.. have been in fact since November when we sold our boat... and we have been looking amongst others at Tayanas, Cheoy Lee's, Slocums, Hans Christian usw.. not as big as what you are selling, granted.. I.e more like in the 40-44 range..

Anyhow my point is that I have already found good boats that have been sitting there for 1,2 or more years, simply cause the owner made a recent "investment" in it and sunk 1,2 or more hundred thousand dollars and this is "the best boat in the market" etc etc so of course it is worth a thousand billion pesos and what not. Anyhow, I simple nod, thank them for their time and walk respectfully away.. I wish I could tell them that if they list a boat and it doesn't sell before or during the next season, it is listed for a price too high. As a buyer, the question I always ask myself is: if I bought this boat and I tried to sell it the next day. Do I think somebody else would buy it within the next couple of months? if not, I won't either.

Just some thoughts.. if you sold your boat already, congrats you priced it right. If not, it is not that the people don't recognize your boats worth. It is that the market is telling you "no". Sorry.

PS: before you take offense or something remember all publicity is good. After all I just bumped this thread to the top [emoji13]
crankysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 12:59   #18

Boat: Colegate 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankysailor View Post
I am going thru all of these right now from the other side.. I.e. the buyers side.. have been in fact since November when we sold our boat... and we have been looking amongst others at Tayanas, Cheoy Lee's, Slocums, Hans Christian usw.. not as big as what you are selling, granted.. I.e more like in the 40-44 range..

Anyhow my point is that I have already found good boats that have been sitting there for 1,2 or more years, simply cause the owner made a recent "investment" in it and sunk 1,2 or more hundred thousand dollars and this is "the best boat in the market" etc etc so of course it is worth a thousand billion pesos and what not. Anyhow, I simple nod, thank them for their time and walk respectfully away.. I wish I could tell them that if they list a boat and it doesn't sell before or during the next season, it is listed for a price too high. As a buyer, the question I always ask myself is: if I bought this boat and I tried to sell it the next day. Do I think somebody else would buy it within the next couple of months? if not, I won't either.

Just some thoughts.. if you sold your boat already, congrats you priced it right. If not, it is not that the people don't recognize your boats worth. It is that the market is telling you "no". Sorry.

PS: before you take offense or something remember all publicity is good. After all I just bumped this thread to the top [emoji13]
I don't think this is an unfair thing to say. Unfortunately for the cruising monohull market, the sellers far outnumber the buyers these days. My wife and I were very seriously looking into a 10 to 15 year old center cockpit 45-50' and came to the conclusion no matter what "great deal" we were getting, we wouldn't be able to sell it for *any* number in another 5 to 10 years. Not because it's junk, or can't perform marvelously, but because the current crop of cruisers are swinging dramatically toward catamarans.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 13:02   #19

Boat: Colegate 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
People are getting old so Cats are in favor vs. 45 degree sailing...
Are you referencing angle to the wind or heel of the boat? I'm assuming heel, and exaggerated at that. Catamarans still tack on 45 degrees. But if your monohull is heeling 45 degrees then it's probable you're taking on water. 30 degrees is "rather uncomfortable".
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 18:58   #20

Boat: Tayana 48

Crankysailor and Loud Music...

Wow...I thought this thread done, but here we are. It seems that 'we' are still trying to place value (read comparison) on an asset that is owned by someone else...which in fact is me/us. O.K. we all do that. It helps us understand how we 'place value' on our own reality. What I know, that is, my reality is what I placed value on when I bought boat and upgraded it for our purposes.

As a potential buyer told me (not a quote, please) was that although he/she appreciated my upgrades, he/she did not feel compelled or obligated to pay for them. Uh, O.K. they didn't get to buy the boat.

Crankysailor... No offense taken...Maybe someone looking at a 40-44 ft boat should not waste energy commenting on a 48' boat that is not on their radar, but you did. Life is short, it might not be productive to waste energy on pursuits not on your list of things to do (there I go again preaching, sorry!). Find your best suite, and go! As for publicity...We have honestly offered Nomad for sale. We have gotten serious interest. We have not connected. The time was not right. As for bumping it to the top, well if you have read the posts, Nomad is off the market and we are looking forward to remount soon.

Loudmusic...You believe this to be a buyer's market. Maybe. Or maybe not. Your call. As far as buying into something you can get your money back out of in '5-10 years', maybe, good luck with that! I personally don't think that is what cruising is about. We (all of us) are at our end, every day, this day could be our last. Live it or let it go, but you cannot recapture what you left behind or plan the next corner unseen. As far as the catamaran market goes...you could be correct, or maybe not. Catamarans are cool...for some people. As you are fully aware catamaraners and monohullers are different animals (thank Gxx). There is space for all of us. Kind of like cats and dogs...

As far as comments on value of Nomad or any vessel (asset), there is no doubt a hierarchy in this world. There is a triangle of valuation. Nomad is not at the top but higher than many. That said, she was and will again soon be our home. Many people look at their boat as their vacation spot and place that kind of value on it. A boat becomes a home (which for most is primary) and takes a different place in our own reality when it is the place we live and not the place we vacation at. Once an asset gets to a certain level, the sale market options become quite small. Every level up as defined by the buyer, gets to be a bigger step with fewer buyer potentials. Connecting at a higher level is tough -- we can be a picky lot! And we should be! No problm mon!

Nuf said...Except that I just realized this is an older post! Here is the latest thread... http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...on-197221.html All of this may make more sense (or not) in the latest, though dated post.

Here's a pic of the Admiral and dog on the last trip to Nomad...Coined 'best selfie ever' by our new daughter (in law).
Be well, sail often, life is short
D, LA, Gypsy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	best selfie ever.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	168690  
D Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 21:30   #21

Well said D rock. Pm me if you ever need crew, or a drink. Both are on me.
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote