Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2019, 06:11   #1

To Buy or to Share

I have been searching for some time now for a suitable boat to do a South Pacific islands cruise and then maybe even on to Australia/New Zealand. I’m based in the UK, so it seems to make sense to consider boats on the West Coast of the Americas, or even Australia and Asia and to do it from there. My boat search has concentrated on a 37- 42 ft monohull with the right gear (I won’t do a long list here but this would obviously include appropriate safety & navigation gear and a few comforts such as freshwater showers!) and really I am spoilt for choice – there are some (apparently) very suitable boats out there, provided that I make some compromises. The problem as I see it is once I decide on a boat, is to gear up, fit up, provision up and perhaps most important of all crew up, all within a timetable to suit the weather patterns for such a trip.

I was intrigued by a couple of recent posts from 2 boat owners who were basically looking for “boat buddies” to accompany them on some long-distance cruising. Both were aged 70+, as am I. Although I don’t think I would suit the needs of either of these posters it did raise the question in my mind that there may be others out there who might suit me and me them.

So, anyone out there who maybe has the same dream as me and would like to talk about joining up? You could be an existing boat-owner, or willing to jointly fund a boat or any other arrangement. I am an ex boat-owner and been sailing for many years with a couple of Atlantic crossings and 10 years of chartering done in the Mediterranean, Caribbean, Australia and Asia. Financially solvent, fit & healthy and able to travel at short notice. Please PM me in the first instance with a little information about yourself and your ideas for such a project.
Old 30-01-2019, 06:28   #2

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: To Buy or to Share

I know you said monohull but there is an FP Bahia in the s. Pacific right now looking for a half share owner. The owners are US based I think (Seattle?) It's on Yachtworld. If it is federally documented (registered) then that might pose a problem because non-citizens are not allowed to US register a boat. You can form a US corp to do this. You will likely have this issue with any US boat on the west coast.
Old 31-01-2019, 00:27   #3

Hi Sand Crab and thanks for your response. I see the Bahia is Malaysian flagged,(Langkawi??) so no issue there. Re-flagging a purchased US registered boat appears to be relatively straightforward and can be followed by obtaining a 1 year cruising permit (if the boat is actually in the US).
If someone were to offer a share of a US registered boat, then the issue you have raised would need some thought.

Cheers
Old 31-01-2019, 00:56   #4

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

Just last week I read about a charter company now doing year rentals on their boats for people wanting to take a sabatical and go cruising for a year. Another solution maybe?
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 06:42   #5

Hi sailormed and thanks for your response.

I think this is Dream Yacht Charter. I am in the later stages of an owner's programme with them and received an email the other day. I have written for further details since it was a bit lean on the facts.

I have had extensive chartering with both Dream and Sunsail and perhaps understandably their boats are pretty stripped out with only the barest of tools and ropes. A "proper" cruising boat takes years to accumulate the myriad of things that you just might need, so I wonder what they have in mind.

Many thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers
Old 01-02-2019, 02:13   #6

Boat: Catamaran, Aluminium, 48 feet.

This has been my dream for many years, so I purchased some plans to build a 48 ft. aluminium Catamaran. This is the fifth year of the launch, it is lying ashore for the winter at my mooring in Southern Brittany, France.
I would be interested in linking up to discuss options for a trip as you suggest.
my e mail address is ab@birchleyuk.co.uk
alumcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 14:18   #7

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

Yes, the program is Dream Yacht Sabbatical. Maybe you can give us all your feedback on the program. Good luck.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 16:46   #8

Boat: Beneteau First 456, 14m

Re to buy or to share

From NZ I have a Beneteau 456 for sale. We have owned and sailed the Pacific Islands Australia and SouthEast Asia for the past twelve years then around NZwaters since. We have constantly upgraded to make cruising very comfortable like 80 litre per hour watermaker a 5kg automatic washing machine together with up to date cruising gear like Radar/ SSB/ Sky Eye/Eletronic Chart Plotters/ portable generater etc. we have a friend from England who bought a yacht here and sailed it with us to the Islands and South East Asia. I could put you in contact with them. If you like I would be happy to crew with you to the Islands while you are getting to know the boat. For further info email me
Email:dkbooker44@gmail.com
piedamer is offline   Reply With Quote